- Game Information
- Rules Overview
- Skill Shots
- Time Machine Upgrades - Getting to 2112
- Planet Modes
- Multiball Modes
- Other Features
- Wizard Modes
- Insider Achievement FAQ
- Lead Designer: John Borg
- Code/Rules: Tim Sexton & Raymond Davidson
- Lead Mechanical Engineer: Harrison Drake
- Artwork: Michael Barnard
- Computer Graphics Art Directors: Chuck Ernst & Paul Chamnankit
- Lead Sound Designer: Jerry Thompson
- Release Date: February 2022
- Wiki Rulesheet based on Code Rev: 0.93
- Edit the Code revision, if applicable, when you make changes
John Borg returns to designing band-themed pinball machines with Rush, released in February 2022. This musical pinball adventure takes the player back in time and across the galaxy, exploring planets and different time periods, all set to Rush’s iconic music.
The main objectives of Rush involve playing through all six Planets by collecting Records, then shooting the Time Machine to start each timed mode. The game features four different types of multiball modes, as well as a few side features that can be started for additional points. The overarching goal of the game is to upgrade the time machine by 100 years.
- Shoot a few flashing record shots to light an untimed planet mode, then shoot the Time Machine to start it. Follow the display instructions. (If wanted, keep shooting flashing record shots to boost the mode values.)
- Shoot the flashing 1-2-3 inserts as a combo to light Combo Jackpot at the Time Machine. Make a shot to the side ramp afterwards for a Combo Super Jackpot. The action button does good things in modes after certain Combo Jackpots are collected.
- Complete RUSH to start Bastille Day, then complete the targets again during the hurry-up for big scores.
- Shoot the Time Machine 3 times for one of three multiball modes.
- Complete LITE and LOCK near the right ramp, then lock balls in both scoops for Far Cry Multiball.
- Get the bumper clock to midnight for Headlong Flight Multiball.
- Collect all the instruments at the drop targets, then lock the ball behind them for Freewill Multiball.
- Get to 2112 by scoring jackpots during multiball modes, completing planet modes, and other tasks. Every 10 years lights an upgrade at the time machine.
Skill shots can be scored at any upper flipper shot, though they are disabled if the ball hits the plunger lane switch after a weak plunge. The skill shot value starts at 750,000 and increases 250,000 per skill shot, and extends the ball save. Some settings also allow Skill Shots to be obtained after shooting behind the upper flipper.
- Shoot the upper scoop for 3x skill shot
- Shoot the side ramp for 2x skill shot
- Shoot the inner loop for 1x skill shot
- Combo the inner loop into the upper scoop or side ramp to double its value
Time Machine Upgrades - Getting to 2112:
The overarching goal of the game is to advance your Time Machine 100 years past 2012 to qualify the 2112 wizard mode. Every time 10 years are collected, the time machine will light to collect an upgrade that affects gameplay either for the rest of the ball or the rest of the game.
Years can be collected by:
- +5 years - Complete a planet mode
- +10 years - Complete a planet mode with 100M+ points scored
- +5 years - Score a super jackpot during any multiball mode (Red Barchetta - +2 per super, Freewill - +5 per every 3 Supers. Max of 10 years per multiball)
- +2 years - Complete Bastille Day Hurry-Up (max of 6 from this method)
- +1 year - Cash out a Combo Jackpot or Combo Super Jackpot (max of 14 from this method)
- +5 years - Collect a 6x Instrument Bonus (once per game)
The upgrades are awarded in the following order; scoring upgrades 4, 7, or 8 also reactivate those upgrades (and upgrade 2) if they previously expired due to a ball draining. Every decade also permanently reduces the number of shots required to start the next time machine multiball by 1.
- 10 years - +1 ball & 10 more seconds of ball save for time machine multiballs
- 20 years - Longer timers for the rest of the ball
- 30 years - +1 ball & 10 more seconds of ball save for Far Cry Multiball
- 40 years - RUSH targets easier to complete (lit targets spot unlit targets)
- 50 years - Light Extra Ball
- 60 years - +2 balls & 20 more seconds of ball save for time machine multiballs
- 70 years - Super Records (each shot now adds 2 records)
- 80 years - 2x Ramp Count-Up
- 90 years - +1 ball & 10 more seconds of ball save for all multiball modes
- 100 years - Light 2112
Records & Planet Modes:
Collect Records at different shots around the playfield to qualify the Time Machine, then shoot the Time Machine to travel to start one of six untimed modes determined by the solidly lit colored records. Records of the same color are locked in once their associated mode starts and add +10% to scoring & score 2x during the mode; get all 6 record shots to the same color for 3x scoring for all shots during the mode. The RUSH targets and instrument lane cycle uncollected and collected record shots to different colors, respectively.
All major shots light to collect rainbow records once the time machine is lit to start a mode, and after a mode has been completed; these act as colored records for any mode and multiplies al future shots made to rainbow records by 2x +1x per rainbow record, to a max of 4x. A maximum of 3 rainbow records can be collected per ball, and rainbow records vanish at the end of the ball.
Completing modes adds +5 years to the time machine. Winning modes with more than 100 million points in total adds +10 years. Completing a mode in one go scores more points, as draining the ball resets the value.
Winning all six modes lights Cygnus X-1 Book 2 - Hemispheres at the time machine.
- Tom Sawyer (Cyan | Moving Pictures): Three phases of shots, must clear all shots in current phase to light shots in the next phase. Failing the mode and restarting it will start you back at whatever phase you left off in, but with all shots lit. First phase - both orbits. Second phase - both ramps. Third phase - all shots. Shots start at 2 million + 250,000 per shot.
- Working Man (Orange | Rush): Shots progress the workday clock, starting at 9am and ending at 5pm. Hitting any orange shot will award 10 minutes and relight all the other orange shots. Left orbit, side loop, or side ramp will award 20 minutes and 3x the shot value. Shots start at 75,000 + 25,000 per shot. Random events worth 1.5M + 500K per event are awarded at certain times on the clock; these can’t be multiplied. Left orbit ends the mode and clocks out once 5pm has been reached.
- The Spirit of Radio (Blue | Permanent Waves): All shots are lit to score points and add their values to the radio jackpot at the Dead End shot - completing all the shots, or cashing out the radio jackpot, relights them. Each spin also relights major shots and raises the value of the non-jackpot playfield shots, which start at 400k, by 1000 per spin and maxes at 3 mil. Cash out 5 jackpots to win.
- The Big Money (Pink | Power Windows): Three phases, each phase takes one more shot than the last to light Time Machine for Big Money. When Big Money is lit you can either collect it or keep hitting shots to multiply it; these will be blinking slower than the ones that are otherwise lit and will always be the same as the shots you chose when you were lighting Big Money. Collect the third big money to win mode. Shots start at 1M + 150K per shot or multiplier increase. The multiplier carries throughout the mode, thus with perfect play your last jackpot will be 3 + 4 + 5 + 1x = 13x.
- La Villa Strangiato (Purple | Hemispheres): Combo mode. One shot is lit at a time to progress through the twelve movements of the song, combo into the next shot within 5 seconds to multiply the next shot by the combo streak length. Finish at shot number 12, the final song movement. Shots start at 2M + 250K per shot. Shot sequence: R ramp, R ramp, dead end shot, L orbit / spinner, side ramp / side scoop, spinner, side loop, any upper flipper shot, Time Machine, side ramp, L orbit, side scoop. After the side loop is made, it can be repeatedly shot to spot the next four shots.
- Limelight (Green | Moving Pictures): Hit any shot to collect points, add 5% fame, and start a 15 second Fame Timer. Hit faster blinking shots (cycling between left - center - right) for 3x value and 10% fame. When 15 seconds runs out, shoot the Time Machine to relight arrows. Get to 100% Fame to light Time Machine to Escape The Fame and complete the mode. Shots start at 250K, and the shot increment starts at 250K but shot increment also increments by 50K. Once you leave the limelight, shot value resets.
Rush has many different types of multiball modes. Multiball modes can be started during planet modes, but modes cannot be started during multiball, and only one multiball can be active at a time (with the exception of Headlong Flight, which can be started at any time). Collecting jackpots or super jackpots during multiball modes adds years to the time machine, with super jackpots adding the most.
Play all 6 multiball modes in a single game to qualify Cygnus X-1: Book 1 - The Voyage at the Time Machine, which has scoring determined by the jackpots scored during each multiball mode.
Time Machine Multiballs:
Power up the Time Machine portal ramp by shooting the ramp that passes through it 3 times +6 per multiball -1 per decade, then shoot it once more to start one of its three multiball modes, each with their own rules. The dead end shot changes which multiball is lit. (On the Prem / LE, rolling through the left inlane, then shooting the Time Machine while the ramp is down will count as 2 hits). Each multiball is played with 2 balls, though upgrading the time machine by collecting years can add more balls to these modes.
- Red Barchetta Multiball (Red | Moving Pictures): All switches and jackpots boost the RPMs of the Red Barchetta. Once the RPMs have redlined, hit enough bumpers to score a super jackpot worth the total of the jackpots collected this gear, +2 years, and move on to the next gear with increased scoring. Victory laps at gear 6.
- Subdivisions Multiball (Yellow | Signals): Shoot the Time Machine to light the spinner and Dead End/VUK for jackpots. Shooting any jackpot will light the next outermost shot for another jackpot. Light every shot for super jackpot worth the jackpot total back at the time machine & +5 years. To get to the super jackpot sooner, shoot the shots that flash quicker.
- Fly By Night Multiball (Green | Fly by Night): Turn off the playfield lighting by shooting jackpots. Flashing red shots score jackpots, and rapidly flashing shots score double jackpots. Once the lighting is dimmed, a strobing blue shot will light to score a super jackpot worth the jackpot total & +5 years. Rinse and repeat with more shots required to reach the super.
Far Cry Multiball:
Shoot the “LIGHT LOCK” standup targets near the right ramp to light the lock at the top scoop. The second lock can be collected at either the top scoop, starting multiball with higher jackpot values, or the bottom scoop. (This process becomes more difficult each time the multiball is started; first activation requires just the targets, second requires the targets and the ramp, etc.) By default, this multiball starts with 2 balls. Collecting 30 years upgrades this to a 3-ball multiball, and balls can be added via the Weapon and mystery award.
- During Multiball: All major shots are lit in different colors (blue, green, yellow, orange, red), corresponding to 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, or 5x timed jackpots, respectively. The higher the multiplier, the quicker the jackpots will time out. Hitting any jackpot will also increase their base value and re-light two shots with random jackpot colors. If all jackpots time out, the jackpot base value is reset and all shots relight. Score 15 jackpots in a single multiball attempt, then shoot the Time Machine for a Super Jackpot worth the total of the collected jackpot values & +5 years. This will also start One Little Victory Laps.
- One Little Victory Laps: After scoring the Super Jackpot, 6-ball multiball will begin and the upper flipper shots will be lit for victory jackpots. Collect one to light a super jackpot at a roving shot, whose multiplier increases for each unique physical shot that the super jackpot has been collected at. Each super jackpot requires one more victory jackpot to light. At this time, balls can be added by using the Weapon if the Vapor Trails album has been qualified.
Headlong Flight Multiball:
Advance the Drum Clock to midnight, then shoot the right orbit to start Headlong Flight Multiball. This multiball can be started at any time once it has been lit, and thus can be stacked with other multiballs. Once this multiball starts, however, the usual stacking rules apply. Balls can be added by using the Weapon if the Clockwork Angels album has been qualified.
- During Multiball: Jackpots can be scored at the upper loop and side ramp for 1 million x the current clock hour, which starts at 12 o’ clock and counts backward by 1 hour every few seconds. Combo the upper loop into the side ramp (whether or not the upper loop has been collected) for Super Jackpot worth 3x the jackpot value & +5 years. The right ramp is also lit as a jackpot and if collected will relight both side shots and set the clock back to 12.
- Mega / Ultra Jackpot: If you hit both side shots, the right ramp will instead light for a Mega Jackpot or Ultra Jackpot based on the sum of the values obtained from the two side shots made. Mega = no Super Jackpot scored; Ultra = Super Jackpot was scored. Use those shot multipliers!
Collect all three Instruments by completing the drop target bank, then shoot the instrument lane to start Freewill Multiball (and lock a ball on Prem / LE; jackpots can be increased by hitting the captive ball on this model). Balls can be added by using the Weapon if the Permanent Waves album has been qualified.
- During Multiball: (On Premium / LE models, the mode starts by locking the ball at the instrument lane, and repeatedly shooting the ball increases the base jackpot values. This phase ends and multiball starts after 20 seconds). All shots are constantly lit for jackpot, but once a shot is made, it must be collected again to score a super jackpot and light the other jackpots outside of the shot you just made. Every 3 unique super jackpots adds +5 years.
- Instrument Lane 2x Scoring & Add-A-Ball: Balls can be locked for 20 seconds during Freewill Multiball by shooting the standup target twice. While a ball is locked, a ball is added and jackpot scores are doubled, or you can keep hitting the standup target / captive ball during this time to increase your jackpot values. Once the ball is released, repeated shots to the standup target will relight the lock (and thus the add-a-ball).
Collecting & Activating Instruments:
Complete the instrument drop targets to collect instruments and qualify Freewill Multiball. The flashing instrument insert is locked in once the targets have been completed, or with a single shot to the instrument lane. From left to right:
- Bass - +25k to combo values & Combo Jackpot. Resets at end of ball unless held.
- Guitar - +5k to spinner hits. Resets at end of ball unless held.
- Drumsticks - +5k to pop bumper hits, advances two bumpers by +1 minute, and qualifies Drum Solo. Resets at end of ball unless held. Drum Solo always unlights at end of ball.
After an instrument has been collected, shooting the instrument lane will activate the instruments’ associated timed perk. The timer for each activated instrument starts at 120 seconds and resets if another instrument is activated during the time limit:
- Bass - Combos score 2x and can be collected during multiball modes. On default settings, combos do not qualify albums during multiball, just score points that are added into the Combo Jackpot.
- Guitar - +1x multiplier for spinner shots.
- Drumsticks - All bumper hits count 2x minutes, score 2x, and advance the clock during multiball modes. Drum Bonus is doubled.
Each instrument collected also lights all major shots for the instrument bonus based on points that had been collected from each instruments’ perk, multiplied by +1x each time it has been scored. Scoring a 6x instrument bonus adds +5 years, one time only.
Drum Clock & Bonuses:
During single ball play, pop bumper hits advance the Drum Clock, which starts at 3 pm, by 1 minute per pop. Getting the Drum Clock to 12 am lights the right orbit for Headlong Flight Multiball.
Collecting the drumsticks will upgrade a bumper +1 minute and light Drum Solo behind the upper flipper, which temporarily doubles all minutes collected; and activating them will double all minutes and allow them to be collected during multiball modes. Shooting under the upper flipper will advance two bumpers +1 minutes. Shooting the right orbit will advance one pop bumper +1 minute.
Drum Bonus is shown on the UI inside of the drum clock area (on the right side of the screen) and each pop bumper hit adds to the value. Drum Bonus lights at the left orbit for 5 seconds when a ball rolls over either right inlane, or permanently after advancing a full hour. Every hour collected also lights Clock Bonus at the right orbit for 1 million x the current clock hour. If Clock Bonus is lit, the left inlane will temporarily light the right orbit to score 2x the value.
1-2-3 Combo Jackpot:
Shoot the flashing 1-2-3 shots in order to qualify the Combo Jackpot at the Time Machine and qualify unique Albums for each combo. Each 1-2-3 combo shot scores the current combo value, multiplied by the shot number (1, 2, or 3) +2x if the combo was scored quickly and +2x if the bass is currently active. All combo points are added into the Combo Jackpot, and draining the ball resets the combo jackpot value (and disables the combo jackpot / combo super jackpot if applicable). If you start a new combo by hitting a 1 shot, the Combo Jackpot will unlight so you can hit the time machine without cashing out your jackpot. Finish the combo to qualify it again.
Completing a unique 1-2-3 combo (denoted by flashing 1-2-3’s rather than pulsing 1-2-3s, which indicate this combo path has already been taken) will light the combo jackpot if it’s not already lit, or add a multiplier if it is already lit. For example, if you cash out 3 unique combos in one shot, the time machine will light for 3x combo jackpot, and award you 3 albums.
After collecting the Combo Jackpot, +1 year will be awarded and the side ramp will light to score Combo Super Jackpot for a limited time, denoted by the flashing LED on the SUPER JACKPOT plastic above the ramp, worth 2x the value of the Combo Jackpot and an additional year.
Albums and The Weapon!:
Albums (from collecting combo jackpots) award certain The Weapon! perks for their associated songs that can be activated by holding the action button. For a multiball mode, this will add-a-ball, and for a single ball mode, this will spot every shot (and collect multiball jackpots if applicable) from left to right, or right to left depending on the diverter position. Shot multipliers also apply here.
Note: If a Multiball mode and a Time Machine Mode are running simultaneously and you have the corresponding Albums for each (enabling The Weapon), holding the Action Button will prioritize Add-A-Ball. Also, if an album has multiple songs associated with it, the Weapon prioritizes the currently active song and can only be used once until the player cycles through the 10 albums again.
Collecting five albums will light an extra ball.
|Album||Shot 1||Shot 2||Shot 3||Related Songs:|
|Signals||Right Ramp||Spinner||Side Ramp||Subdivisions|
|Moving Pictures||Right Ramp||Spinner||Inner Loop||Limelight, Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer|
|Hemispheres||Right Ramp||Right Orbit||La Villa Strangiato|
|Clockwork Angels||Spinner||Side Ramp||VUK||Headlong Flight|
|Permanent Waves||Spinner||Inner Loop||Side Ramp||Freewill, The Spirit of Radio|
|Power Windows||Spinner||Inner Loop||Inner Loop||The Big Money|
|Vapor Trails||VUK||Left Orbit||Side Ramp||One Little Victory|
|Snakes & Arrows||VUK||Left Orbit||Side Loop||Far Cry|
|Fly by Night||Left Orbit||Side Ramp||VUK||Fly By Night|
|Rush||Left Orbit||Inner Loop||Side Ramp||Working Man|
Every 5 shots to either ramp holds the value of a major game feature to the next ball:
- 5 ramps - Hold Guitar Value (spinner)
- 8 ramps - Light Extra Ball
- 10 ramps - Hold Combo Value
- 15 ramps - Hold Bumper Value
- 20 ramps - Hold Ramp Value
- 25 ramps - Hold Instrument Bonus Value
- 30 ramps - Hold Records (rainbow records + record boost % if you’re in a mode when you drain)
- 35 ramps - Hold Bonus X
RUSH Targets & Bastille Day Hurry-Up:
Complete the RUSH standup targets, then shoot the right ramp to start Bastille Day Hurry-Up. The hurry-up values start at 2 million points each, plus a little extra for each time the individual R-U-S-H target had been hit prior to starting, and are additive - meaning that each hurry-up you collect adds themselves to the value of the next one. The values can also be increased by 2 million by shooting the right ramp. Winning the mode by scoring all four hurry-ups will add +1 year to the time machine and increase the hurry-up values for the next round by 2 million.
Every time Bastille Day is started, more completions of the RUSH targets will be required to light it again, shown in the UI as the red number fraction by the RUSH targets.
Two completions of the RUSH targets lights a ball save at either outlane, which can be changed using the flippers.
Roll the Bones Mystery:
Complete the three “Roll the Bones” inlanes, then shoot the left scoop for a mystery award. Will award add-a-ball during multiball, can also award various point values. Awards like “100x scoring” and “5 free games” can be seen but will never be awarded - sorry.
Possible mystery awards, awarded in this order if competition mode is set:
- Activate Instruments
- Add Bonus X
- Bump Spinner Value
- Bump Pop Bumper Value
- Bump Combo Value
- Spot 3 Records
- Light Ball Save
- Light Far Cry Lock
- Spot 3 Ramp Shots
- Advance Drum Clock +3 hours
- 10M (not available when not in competition)
- Light Extra Ball
When competition mode is on, the game will try its best to award the next award, but if it can’t it will skip it and go to the next one until there’s a time it can award the first one in the list that hasn’t been awarded yet. If you get to the end of the list it resets.
Mystery prioritizes context sensitive awards first, like extending instrument timers or Add-A-Ball, but will never give out an award that was given out within the last two.
During wizard modes, Mystery will often give credit for a shot during the mode.
There are two locations where extra balls can be collected - the under-flipper shot and the upper scoop. The slingshots change which shot will collect the lit extra ball. If two extra balls are lit, both shots will light to collect it.
Available extra balls:
Extra balls award 10M if disabled or the extra ball cap has been reached (if applicable).
Bonus is comprised of six categories, each with two parts: a bonus based on what you’ve done that ball, and a permanent bonus you’ll get every ball:
- 100,000 x Number of times an instrument was activated this ball
- 100,000 x Number of complete instrument sets
- 5,000 x Number of minutes advanced this ball
- 25% of all Drum Solo Points Scored
- 100,000 x Number of records collected this ball
- Matching bonus based on how many colors were matching upon mode start, each time a mode is started, the following bonus gets added to this (carries throughout game):
- 2 matching colors: 100,000
- 3 matching colors: 200,000
- 4 matching colors: 400,000
- 5 matching colors: 800,000
- 6 matching colors: 1,600,000
- 100,000 x Number of times the Time Machine was shot during single ball play
- 10% of total scores from all successfully completed modes
- 100,000 x Number of combo shots made this ball
- 500,000 x Number of collected albums
- 250,000 x Number of RUSH target completions this ball
- 2,500,000 x Number of times Bastille Day was completed successfully
Bozo bonus of 21,120 if you somehow had zero bonus otherwise (difficult to do unless you short plunge and don’t hit any pops)
Bonus X:Shooting the spinner will count down to light bonus X at the inner loop. Each bonus X takes an increasing number of spins (and the number it increases by, also increases) to light.
1x -> 2x: 100 spins 2x -> 3x: 200 spins (+100) 3x -> 4x: 400 spins (+200) 4x -> 5x: 700 spins,(+300)
… +100 more spins each time
Max bonus X at 25x. If the guitar is active or a shot multiplier is active on the spinner lane, spinner hits towards bonus X are doubled.
Cygnus X-1 Book 1 - The Voyage:
Start all six multiball modes to light this wizard mode at the time machine.
The Voyage illustrates a spaceship taking off, exploring the galaxy and eventually escaping a black hole; the player controls the spaceship in this mode and must guide their ship across three planets before escaping the black hole. The jackpots scored on each planet increase based on gameplay achievements. While the mode starts out with only a single ball, every new planet visited, completing 50% of the shots required for each planet, or collecting add-a-ball from mystery, adds a ball into play.
Jackpot values for the mode are determined by:
- Base jackpot - 1M + 1.M x total Headlong Flight MB Super & Mega Jackpots
- Yellow Planet jackpots - 1M + 1.5M x total Freewill MB Super Jackpots
- Blue Planet jackpots - 1M + 2M x total Far Cry MB Super Jackpots + 3M x total One Little Victory Laps Super Jackpots
- Purple Planet jackpots - 1M + 1M x Red Barchetta MB Super Jackpots + 2M x Fly by Night MB Super Jackpots + 3M x Subdivisions MB Super Jackpots
Each planet is started by shooting an initial shot, can only be played once per wizard mode, and must be completed by making enough shots on the current planet:
- Yellow Planet - Started by shooting the instrument targets. Make shots to collect 10% fuel and eventually escape the yellow planet after making 10 shots. More shots can be lit to collect fuel, and their value can be increased, by shooting the instrument lane.
- Blue Planet - Started by shooting either scoop. Shoot the flashing blue shots, which move with slingshot or bumper hits, to steer the ship in the right direction for 5% progress - and avoid red shots as they will force you to make more shots in order to complete the planet. Each successful shot made without locking on adds +1x multiplier to the jackpot and an additional +5% progress; this resets if the player makes a red shot. Shooting either scoop locks on the navigation and relights all the shots. Reaching 100% progress is required to escape the blue planet.
- Purple Planet - Started by shooting the time machine. Bright lights cover the playfield, and the only way to determine the lit shots is by shooting the time machine to neutralize gravity’s effects and briefly reveal which shots need to be made - along with adding one lit shot. Make 10 lit shots to escape the purple planet.
Once the player has visited and escaped all three planets, the ball must be locked at the time machine, then knock the ball out of the time machine with the second ball to escape the black hole and win the wizard mode. If the player escaped the black hole with more than 1 ball in play, victory laps will begin and remain active until the player drains down to a single ball.
Cygnus X-1 Book 2 - Hemispheres:
Complete all six planet modes to light this wizard mode at the time machine.
Hemispheres chronicles the story of gods attempting to define the path that mankind should take; in this mode, the decisions result in different flipper arrangements that the player must adjust to in order to win each stage. The jackpot values for each stage of the mode are determined by 10% of the value from each completed planet mode, determined by the order in which they were played; with the Super Jackpot at the end of the mode being worth the total value of the last completed planet mode.
Each phase lasts 120 seconds and has a different flipper configuration; all lit shots must be made in each phase to complete them. Draining the ball deducts 10 seconds from the timer; 15 seconds of time can be added by scoring the mystery award. The phases are as follows:
- Apollo: Bringer of Wisdom - The left flipper button operates all flippers. The right flipper button moves the lit shots.
- Dionysus: Bringer of Love - The left flipper button moves the lit shots. The right flipper button operates all flippers.
- Armageddon: The Battle of Heart and Mind - The flipper buttons are reversed; the left flipper button operates the right flippers, and the right flipper button operates the left flipper.
- Cygnus: Bringer of Balance - Holding either flipper button causes its respective flipper to lower, and releasing either flipper button causes its respective flipper to flip.
- The Sphere: A Kind of Dream - Holding the left flipper button causes the right flippers to lower, and vice versa; holding the right flipper button causes the left flipper to lower, and vice versa.
After completing all five phases, one last shot to the Time Machine will score the Super Jackpot and end the wizard mode.
Once 100 years have been collected, the next shot to the time machine will start the final wizard mode, 2112.
- On most copies of Rush, the upper scoop can be made by simply shooting the left orbit and holding up the upper flipper.
- The 1-2-3 combo shots should take priority at the start of the game. Not only do many of these shots light up records and contribute to lighting the time machine ramp for modes, but combos also light the time machine ramp for the Combo Jackpot - which can be further multiplied by scoring more combos before collecting the jackpot. If you don’t feel like cashing out the Combo Jackpot right away, you can always shoot a “1” shot and continue to build the value. Super Combo Jackpots can become a huge source of points during the late game. If you don’t feel like making these risky combo shots during single-ball play, start a multiball mode and aim for the bass on the drop targets before activating it with a shot to the lane behind them. This will allow you to aim for combos during multiball.
- The Weapon! is qualified by collecting an album at the time machine ramp through the Combo Jackpot feature, and can only be used in currently active songs from the collected album. It might seem tempting to hold the action button right away, but the modes are purposely designed to encourage you to wait before using the Weapon for maximum points. Good examples of this can be seen in Tom Sawyer, where the Weapon should ideally be used at the very start of the third phase when all shots are lit to score; and during Limelight, where the Weapon should be used after scoring the faster blinking shots for maximum points. And remember, if you bring a single-ball mode into a multiball, and have the album for the corresponding single-ball song, you might be able to get credit for a ton of jackpots without even trying!
- Bastille Day is a feature that can often go ignored due to other objectives taking priority over it, but during a long game, points from this feature can be on par with a well-played multiball mode. If you make sure to complete Bastille Day every time it activates, the values for the next hurry-up activation will increase exponentially. This becomes especially noteworthy if you can score the Easier RUSH Targets upgrade at 40 years, making this hurry-up easy to complete and score big during.
- The drum clock contributes to higher scoring than you might expect. Along with advancing towards the lucrative Headlong Flight Multiball, which also acts as a way to extend any ongoing multiball mode, every hour advanced on the clock lights the left orbit for Drum Bonus and the right orbit for Clock Bonus. Both of these values can score tons of points if you placed a wildcard record on their corresponding shots. To maximize scoring from the drum clock, keep the drumsticks in mind whenever you shoot for the drop targets, as this will allow you to make progress on the clock during any multiball mode if you activate them with a shot to the instrument lane. The Drum Solo feature is solid as well, and if an extra ball is lit at the lane behind the flipper, you might as well go for it…
I’ve never played this pinball machine before, and it looks like so much to take in! What should I do?
Check out the Rules Overview at the beginning of this guide if you want some basic tips. You should ideally be shooting the lit record shots to light the time machine for modes. If you want an easy multiball, shoot the time machine to start one of three multiball modes, or shoot the lock shots for the potentially more lucrative Far Cry Multiball.
What’s the action button good for? I press it, and it does nothing!
Unless you’ve prepared the action button for something good by collecting albums beforehand, in which case it will be flashing green / blue, “all” the action button does is change the direction of the ramp diverter, indicated by the flashing red bulbs. The action button is anything but useless on this game, however, as you’ll likely discover when you learn how the Weapon works.
I completed a mode and now the records are flashing rainbow, what does that mean?
It means you’re a good pinball player (trust us - modes on this game can be tough), but more importantly, it means that a shot multiplier can be activated! Shooting a rainbow-colored record shot locks in the shot multiplier for 2x + 1x per rainbow record collected. These reset at the start of every ball, unless you’re skilled enough to collect Hold Records from the ramp count-up feature. Rainbow colored records act just like regular records in the fact that they can be blinking or solid (blinking if you can collect a record from the shot, solid if you cannot).
How do I activate an instrument?
Well, there’s no on-off switch for these instruments, but they can be activated once their corresponding insert is solidly lit with a single shot to the “instrument lane” behind them. You can activate instruments at any time, but arguably the best time to activate them is during a multiball mode, as this will allow you to make progress towards objectives you otherwise wouldn’t be able to access during multiball.
I’m making combos during multiball but the game won’t allow me to collect albums or Combo Jackpots, how come?
If you want to score Combo Jackpots and increase their multiplier, you’ll have to complete combos during single-ball play. Combos during Multiball only score points and increase the base value of the Combo Jackpot - it would be too overpowered to allow the player to go for these big jackpots with the safety of multiball play.
What does it mean when the game starts counting down?
One of the only major timed features in this game is the Bastille Day Hurry-Up that starts with a right ramp shot after completing the RUSH targets. The music will change to indicate that this hurry-up has begun, and the RUSH targets are lit to score. Make sure to complete all of them as this hurry-up can score big points later on!
What’s with the steampunk aesthetic? Or the time machine, for that matter?
Rush takes graphic and theme inspiration from the band’s Time Machine Tour, a science-fiction themed tour that had a heavy emphasis on the time machine. This is where a majority of the concert footage you see in the game is sourced from, as well as the recordings for many of their songs.
What’s with the robot voice?
You’ll sometimes hear a callout from a synthesized voice, typically after you’ve won one of the planet modes or scored a Combo Super Jackpot. This voice was originally heard at the very end of Rush’s 20-minute long epic 2112; drummer Neil Peart indicated that this was the voice of the Elders who were successfully able to intercept the Solar Federation. The exact same synthesizers used to emulate the Elders’ voice were used to emulate it here.
Insider Achievement FAQ:
- Bastille Day - Flaunt the fruits of noble birth - As the values for Bastille Day Hurry-Up are additive, you likely won’t be able to score this achievement unless you constantly complete this hurry-up whenever it activates. Easier RUSH Targets from the time machine upgrades can make this easier to complete.
- La Villa Strangiato - Never Turn Your Back On A Monster! - Making this 12-shot combo sequence in a single go can prove difficult. Memorize the combo sequence, and if a shot is lit that you can’t get to, remember that you can use the Weapon to get credit for it. Also remember to repeatedly shoot the upper loop for the last few shots.
- The Spirit of Radio - Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free - Before starting The Spirit of Radio, make sure you have a 3x or 4x shot multiplier at the dead end target. Then go wild, ideally with multiball, and you should be able to cash this achievement out.
- Subdivisions - Be cool or be cast out - Shot multipliers increase the jackpot values, which are added into the super jackpot at the time machine, making it easier to reach the required 50M super jackpot.
- Far Cry - One day I feel like I’m on top of the world - Remember that the single-ball Weapon can spot shots! Make all the jackpot shots you can at the start of the multiball, then use the blue Weapon if shots are close to timing out. This achievement seems tricky but is fairly easy with practice.
- The Weapon - Moving Pictures - The required combo sequence to collect the Moving Pictures album required for this achievement is right ramp - spinner - upper loop. To guarantee that Red Barchetta is selected, shoot the dead end to change the lit multiball once it is lit.