Official rule sheet from Stern:
Code Rev: 1.0
Feel free to contribute. Update the Code Rev, if applicable.
Left slingshot: Standard.Can be lit for Super Slings 100k/hit
Left inlane: Can be lit for “O” in ROLL. Lane inserts changed from flipper button lane-change. Note: After a few consecutive center ramp shots, lane change will be disabled until you hit another shot.
Left outlane: Can be lit for “R” in ROLL. Lane inserts changed from flipper button lane-change. Can be lit for Ball Save from one completion of the BALL SAVE targets.
Ball Save / Jimmy Page / ZOSO targets: Terminate a combo into these targets to build the Jimmy Page multiplier. Complete both targets to relight ball save, and turn on the Jimmy Page / ZOSO insert solid.
Left eject: Scoop shot on the left used to start tours, start tour multiballs, collect extra balls, and is one of the main arrow shots used in songs and multiballs.
Left orbit/spinner: Has a spinner and feeds all the way around to the upper flipper, except during Usa 1977 Tour mode if “pops” is on the checklist. One of the main arrow shots used in song modes and multiballs. Spinner value starts at 1k and is raised by 1k anytime ROLL lanes are completed, carries ball to ball. When super spinner is activated, the super value is added on top of this (usually 100k/spin). Shows your spinner points on the display via the spinning record in the lower left corner. Center spinner on LE/PREM scores left spinner points in addition to anything else.
Left Ramp: Can be lit for Zeppelin locks and is one of the main arrow shots used in songs and multiballs
ZEP / John Paul Jones / Triquetra targets: Terminating a combo at these targets build John Paul Jones / Triquetra multiplier. Lit targets cycle with flipper lane change. Completing bank turns John Paul Jones / Triquetra light solid On PREM/LE spell LED in LEDZEP which brings up Electric Magic device.
Side ramp / Hermit target: Adds 5 seconds to your next Icarus playfield multiplier time. If Icarus multiplier is running it will extend the timer by 15 seconds (both adjustable in feature adjustments). Gives you a Zeppelin Award, which starts a Super Feature in this order: spinner, pops, slings, ramps. Any time there is a song award on this shot it will score double. Any time there is a jackpot in a multiball on this shot it’s usually a multiplied super jackpot.
Center ramp: Featured shot in guitar solo sections in some songs. Main arrow shot used in songs and multiballs
Icarus target: Used to start playfield multiplier once all 4 band member symbols are on (Jimmy Page/ZOSO, John Paul Jones/Triquetra, John Bonham/Circles, Robert Plant/Feather). Hitting Icarus target during Icarus multiplier will recalculate playfield multiplier if the band member multipliers had increased at all since the playfield x started. Icarus target used in most multiballs to add a ball by hitting it 3 times.
ZEP / John Bonham / Circles drop targets: Terminating a combo at these targets build John Bonham / Circles multiplier. Completing bank turns John Bonham / Circles light solid On PREM/LE spell ZEP in LEDZEP which brings up Electric Magic device.
Top eject: A scoop at the top of the playfield above the pop bumpers accessible from the right orbit. Used to change your song in single ball play, start certain wizard modes, lock balls in certain multiballs. The control gate will usually open up in single ball play after a top eject is made and the ball is ejected with full force to feed to your upper flippers. Exceptions to this occur during multiball or if the pops are being featured in a currently running super mode or tour.
Pop bumpers: Score 5k/pop at game start and raise 2.5k every right orbit shot, carries through the game. When super pops are active, the super value is added to this (usually 250k/pop)
Right ramp: Used to light tours, is a main arrow shot in songs and multiballs. Can backhand on most machines, but not all.
Right orbit: Advances pop values, leads to top eject. Song award and multiball shot.
ROCK / Robert Plant / Feather targets: Terminating a combo at these targets build Robert Plant / Feather multiplier. Completing bank turns Robert Plant / feather light solid and lights Zeppelin locks at the left ramp.
Right slingshot: Standard. Can be lit for Super Slings 100k/hit
Right inlane: Can be lit for “L” in ROLL. Lane inserts changed from flipper button lane-change.
Right outlane: Can be lit for “L” in ROLL. Lane inserts changed from flipper button lane-change.
Plunge into the lit LED target. Change lit LED target with lane change.
Song modes are chosen at the beginning of every ball and run continuously throughout the ball, through multiballs and wizard modes (except Top of the Charts).
When a song ends, that song mode ends and the next song and song mode on the list will start playing (the list on the backboard).
During song modes, a number of arrows are lit that changes with different musical sections of the song. White “cue” lights will blink briefly between sections to show you where the next shot is prior to the section change.
Song Award Scoring
Song award values are based on a combination of temporary and permanent boost factors:
- Going platinum on a song: +250k
- Completing a song (5 gold records): +100k
- Each song shot made: +2.5k
- Each gold record acquired across all songs: +5k
- Base value: 250k
- Each song shot made since the beginning of the current song: +100k
- Each song shot made since the beginning of the current song section: +75k
- Each song shot made this ball: +5k
- Gold records for this current song: +10k
Good Times Bad Times (2:42)
Shots alternate between “easy” and “hard” shots.
Communication Breakdown (2:28)
During verses, all shots are lit.
During chorus, shots “break down” and only half of the shots are lit.
During the solo, only the center ramp is lit
Whole Lotta Love (5:28)
Pairs of shots are lit, the pair changes depending on the section of the song
- Left orbit and side shot
- Left ramp and right ramp
- Center ramp and right ramp
- Drum solo will have pairs of shots that rove around
- Guitar solo is only center ramp
Immigrant Song (2:22)
Outer shots start lit, as the song goes on more shots get added towards the middle
- Left orbit and right orbit start lit. Hitting a left shot will move that shot to the
right, hitting a right shot will move it to the left. The side flipper shot is skipped.
- Once the shots converge on each other, that last shot will stay lit for repeat shots, but on a timer.
The shot must be hit within 8 seconds for it to stay lit. It will flash very fast when the 8 sec. is about to run out. If the shot is not made within 8 sec. the shots begin to fan outwards again.
- Different sections in the song may reset the arrows.
Black Dog (4:45)
Shots alternate between left, right, and center. Hitting a shot replenishes the arrows and disables the most recently hit shot.
- Left eject, left orbit, left ramp, side shot
- Side shot, center ramp, right ramp, right orbit
- Left ramp, side shot, center ramp
Ramble On (4:43)
- During verses, shots slowly move around playfield
- During chorus, all shots lit
Rock And Roll (3:35)
Some sections have only 2 shots lit, but they are always lit
- Left ramp and right ramp
- Left orbit and right orbit
- Other sections have more shots lit, but the most recently hit shot will not be
available until you hit another shot
- Guitar solo at center ramp
Trampled Under Foot (5:32)
- Left orbit and right orbit, must alternate
- Left, center, right. Most recently hit ramp turns off.
All shots section (piano solo), most recently hit shot turns off.
The Song Remains the Same (5:27)
Left eject and left orbit starts lit
Slowly, more shots fan out and get added to the right. Most recently hit shot disables until you hit a different one.
After you have achieved 5 gold records in a song, the top eject lights and you can use it to change the song mid-ball. You can also restart a song using this if you’re clever, but beware if you do this the song value will lose some of its value. Note: as of 1.0 this is not possible anymore unless you sit on a song long enough for it to end, however there is a 20 second time limit on changing songs.
If you change to a new song, you are progressing through the game and part of the song award value is based on how many songs you have completed. In addition, each time you change a song with the top eject during play will add 2 Band Boosts (action button uses).
Once you shoot the top eject to potentially change songs, it will unlight until you gain another 5 gold records on whichever song you select. Getting 10 platinum records in a song will permanently allow you to instantly change songs whenever you play that song. (Note: Competition Install modifies this rule. See the Comp Install section.)
Add a ball available at Icarus target (hit it 3 times).
Starts off with 4 jackpots marked with red arrows. Hitting one unlights it and lights a timed double jackpot (about 10 seconds) marked with a faster flashing red arrow at a shot you can combo into.
Jackpot to double jackpot map:
- Left orbit -> Upper flipper shot
- Left ramp -> Right orbit
- Center ramp -> Right orbit
- Right ramp -> Left eject
Any double jackpots you collect also advance the jackpot value and build into the super jackpot.
After there are no more red arrows anywhere on the playfield (you’ve hit all 4 jackpots, and all double jackpots have timed out or been collected), the super jackpot lights at the left eject and upper flipper shot. Super jackpot is the value of all jackpots and double jackpots achieved since the last super. The LED, ZEP, and ROCK banks all begin to flash as well, completing all of them will multiply the super up to 3x… maybe 4x. The side flipper shot will collect double this whole value as opposed to the left eject.
Tours and Tour Multiballs
Tours are started at the left eject and are indicated that they are lit by a flashing green arrow. Right ramp is used to qualify tours when they are not lit, and can be done at any time (such as during zeppelin multiball) except during wizard modes.
When you shoot the left eject you get to choose which tour to play. What tour you choose here will ALSO dictate which tour multiball you get for finishing it. Your first tour will only have the very first item on the checklist of objectives, and will be a 2 ball multiball. Your second tour will have the first 2 items and will be a 3 ball multiball, etc. In this way, each item you collect on a tour is a “tour lock”, with the final “lock” being when you’ve completed all items and shoot the left eject to start multiball.
All jackpot values are carried throughout and between tour multiballs, so later tour multiballs will naturally be worth more if you did well in the earlier tour multiballs (in addition to later tour multiballs starting with more balls). Add a ball available at Icarus target (hit it 3 times).
Tours, multiballs, and their objective lists:
US 1975 Tour (“Ramps” Multiball)
- All Target banks
“Ramps” Tour Multiball Rules:
Left, center, and right ramps lit for jackpots. Hitting a jackpot unlights that shot and relights the other two shots. Right ramp scores a double jackpot. After hitting 5 jackpots, the left and center ramps turn off and only the right ramp is lit for a super jackpot worth the sum of the 5 jackpots/double jackpots achieved up to that point (can be fairly massive, especially if you got a lot of right ramps in the mix)
US 1977 Tour (“Switches” Multiball)
- Pop Bumpers
- Any Targets
- Left Ramps
“Switches” Tour Multiball Rules:
All switches score a fraction of the current tour jackpot value, and add that value into the main Jackpot, available at the left eject. Jackpot collects a tour jackpot + however many points built up from switches. You can also hit the upper flip shot to collect 3x this value (!!)
Earl’s Court Tour (“Targets” Multiball)
- LED and ZEP targets
- Right Ramps
“Targets” Tour Multiball Rules:
Complete a flashing target bank (LED, ZEP, or ROCK) to collect a tour jackpot, and add its value to the corresponding Super Jackpot:
- LED targets build Left Eject Super Jackpot
- ZEP targets build Top Eject Super Jackpot
- ROCK targets build Left Ramp Super Jackpot
Collecting unique super jackpots multiplies future ones, meaning if you collect a left ramps super and a left eject super, all supers for the rest of the ball are now 2x. If you collect one of each type of super, then all supers are 3x.
UK 1971 Tour (“Shots” Multiball)
- Center Ramps
- Upper flipper shots
“Shots” Tour Multiball Rules:
Left eject starts as the only jackpot, hitting it will then light jackpots at left eject plus the left orbit. Hitting the left orbit will then light jackpots at left eject, left orbit, and left ramp. Hitting the faster blinking shot (the “rightmost” shot) will relight jackpots in this manner. Getting a flashing jackpot on the right orbit is the Super Jackpot, worth the sum of all jackpots collected since the last super.
Electric Magic Multiball
Premium / LE feature only. Qualified by first raising the electric magic device by spelling LED ZEP one time, and then shooting any of the main shots. Subsequent Electric Magic modes require additional completions. Once the device is raised, shooting the spinner charges it up. Once it is fully charged, shoot it again to start Electric Magic Multiball.
The first phase of Electric Magic Multiball is a hurry up that counts down. Shoot the left eject or top eject to lock in the value. This becomes your jackpot value so shoot it fast! After one ball is locked another ball comes out and a timer counts down from 20. This is your MULTIPLIER for your super jackpot. Shoot the electric magic to cash it in and start the multiball, OR shoot the other lock to reset the timer (And therefore multiplier) to 40.
Once you hit the electric magic it starts the actual multiball, with jackpots equal to the hurry up and super jackpot equal to hurry up multiplied by however many seconds you had when you started the multiball. All major shots are lit for Jackpot. Shooting a lit JP causes that shot to go out. Shooting another JP relights the other shots. Super Jackpot is lit at the EM Spinner after 5 Jackpots. After each SJP it takes more JP to relight the SJP. It seems to follow this pattern. 5,7,7,8,9,8,9 etc. There seems to be some variance, but this may be due to the fact that sometimes shooting the left orbit obit will slow roll into the right orbit, thereby scoring two Jackpots.
Electric Magic Frenzy
Despite its name, this is also a multiball. This is the second feature you get from the electric magic device, after you’ve already played Electric Magic Multiball.
This frenzy style multiball has 2 phases that it constantly cycles between: frenzy phase and super phase.
It starts in the frenzy phase with every switch (EXCEPT the center spinner) scoring a frenzy value and adding 1% of this value to the Super Jackpot Spin value. Locking balls in the ejects can multiply this frenzy scoring, and thus the value that goes into the super jackpot spin value by 2x or 3x for a limited time.
Shooting the center spinner during the frenzy phase will build the value of each switch in the frenzy by 100 points per spin.
After 30 seconds of frenzy time (with active playfield), super jackpot automatically lights at the center spinner. It is not a certain amount of switch hits that qualifies super, it is purely timed base. Since the super jackpot value is determined by how many frenzy switches you can get during phase one (1% of the score of each) it is imiportant to use the 30 seconds hitting switches, while also hitting the center spinner to raise the value of the switches. It is a delicate balance to try and maximize your points during the frenzy part alternating between center spinner rips and left orbit rips.
Super jackpot is lit for 15 seconds and can be multiplied by locks as well. Its value is PER SPIN. Example: During frenzy phase you hit 100 switches that are at 80k each. 1% of 80k is 800 per switch, times 100 switches so your super is worth 80,000 points per spin. This doesn’t sound like a lot but due to how many spins you get from it, it adds up VERY quickly, especially with lock multipliers.
After super jackpot timer runs out you go back to frenzy phase, your super jackpot spin value resets but your switch value does not.
The first time you lock a ball in both ejects at the same time will add-a-ball.
- Qualified after 5 songs are completed (on default settings, this is at
5 gold records) and started at the upper eject shot.
- Song mode continues to run during this mode and is used to determine
- Any shot that does not have a song award lit is lit for Jackpot
- Any shot that has a song award will get a sales boost that starts at
+10,000 sales, in addition to normal sales for the song award.
- Scoring 5 jackpots will light super jackpots at any shot that is a current song award.
- Once the first Super Jackpot is awarded, a timer starts. When timer
expires, super jackpots go away and sales boost is increased by +10,000.
- Super Jackpot values are equal to current jackpot value, plus the
current song award value.
- Shoot 5 more regular jackpots while super jackpots are lit to
multiply super jackpots up to 3x!
- Once the first Super Jackpot is awarded, a timer starts. When timer
- This multiball is heavily influenced by your current song as the jackpots and supers are determined by where the song shots are (and aren’t). Read through the above again carefully to clarify.
World Tour Multiball
- Qualified after all tours are played
- Starts as 6 ball multiball with 10 major shots lit for city jackpots:
- Left eject
- Left orbit
- Left ramp
- Side flipper shot
- Center ramp
- LED target bank
- ZEP target bank
- Right ramp
- Right orbit
- ROCK target bank
- Collecting the city jackpot removes it from possible city jackpot shots and moves you into the “miles” phase. Hit things to advance miles to the next city, each thing has a cap of how many miles you can get from it (4000 miles):
- After enough miles are collected and you land in the next city, the remaining city jackpots you haven’t collected yet are lit. Collect one to score city jackpot worth (# of city jackpots x Tour Jackpot Value) and go back to collecting miles
- Each mile also scores a small amount of points as well
- Every other City Jackpot will add a ball!
- If you manage to get to all 10 cities, WOW. You get victory laps for the rest of the multiball.
Top of the Charts Multiball
- Qualified by completing 10 songs (attaining 5 gold records in all 10 songs)
- Started at the top eject
- The song you are closest to going platinum on will be started first, similar to the Challenge Mode version of Top of the Charts.
- The 7 major shots are lit to add sales to the current song. Red shots will add 2x the sales and boost the sales of shots going forward.
- Lock a ball in left eject to make sales and scores 2x for a limited time, and light the top eject.
- Lock a ball in both ejects to make sales and scores 3x for a limited time.
- Once you reach 999,999 sales, shots turn off and the left eject lights to “go platinum”
- Go platinum in all songs to win the mode, and light ? Multiball.
- If a song ends, the mode ends.
- If you drain down to 1 ball, a sudden death timer starts. You must go platinum within this time or else the mode ends.
- Qualified by getting Platinum(10 gold records) on all 10 songs.
- All shots are lit for song jackpots based on your total # of song shots across all songs played.
- Left ramp will also add your current zeppelin multiball jackpot
- Right ramp will also add your current tour multiball jackpot
- 10% of all scores go into super jackpot
- Side flipper shot scores super jackpot
- When you drain down to 1 ball, super jackpots are lit at the 10 shots that World Tour City Jackpots are at, along with a timer.
- Hitting a super jackpot unlights it and increases super jackpot multiplier.
- Left eject during super jackpot phase relights all shots. and resets super jackpot multiplier.
- Draining or running out of time ends the mode.
There are 5 EB’s available on default settings:
- 5 gold records
- 4 complete songs (5 gold records per song)
- Start 2 Tour Multiballs
- 8 Zeppelin Awards (side flipper shot)
- 5 City Jackpots in World Tour
Indicated by combo inserts on playfield to show which shots are available after another shot to combo. Important to note that the left eject, side flipper shot, and right orbit do not end a combo, and continue to have combo shots lit.
While the combo inserts are lit, hitting ANY target on the playfield (ball save targets, LED targets, ZEP targets, ROCK targets), whether lit or unlit will “complete” the combo. You’ll see a blimp fly by that says “x-way complete”. So if you just shoot the left ramp, then the ROCK targets you would see “1-way complete”. Completing a combo stops the combo, increases Icarus Multiplier (see below) and awards the points for whatever level combo you were at prior to completing it.
Combos start at their base value (100k at game start) and are multiplied by however many combos you are currently shooting in a row. So two-way combo is 100k, a three way combo would get you 100k + 200k, a four way combo would be 100k + 200k + 300k, etc. Terminating a 1-way combo scores the same as a 2-way combo.
- Combo base value can only increase during single-ball play.but remains for the whole game
- Combo base value when a target bank is completed
- +10k for Ball Save bank.
- +15k for LED bank.
- +15k for ZEP bank.
- +25k for ROCK bank.
- Completing a target bank by terminating a combo awards double the values
above. (as in, you terminate a combo AND complete the bank at the same time)
This gives incentive to finish off target banks even if you’ve already completed them once for your Icarus multiplier.
Building Icarus Multiplier
There are four band member multipliers indicated by the four symbols in the middle of the playfield with big inserts and flashers, which all correspond to different target banks:
- ZoSo: Ball Save targets
- Triquetra: LED targets
- Circles: ZEP targets
- Feather: ROCK targets
Completing a combo at any target on any of the banks will increase that bank’s band multiplier by +0.1x times the length of the combo. So if you complete a 3-way combo at the ROCK targets, the Feather multiplier is now +0.3x
The colors of each band member multiplier insert changes as each value builds:
Dark Orange 1.1
Lighter Orange 1.2-1.3
Shades of Yellow 1.4-1.9
Light Green 2.0-2.2
Darker Green 2.3-2.5
Shades of Aqua 2.8-3.6
Light Blue 3.7-3.9
Dark Blue 4.0-4.3
Shades of Purple 4.4-4.9
Shades of Pink 5.0-5.6
Dark Orange starts over at 6.0
Icarus Multiplier Value
The actual value of Icarus Playfield Multiplier is equal to the product of the 4 band member multipliers you’ve built up. So if Zoso was at 1.5x, Triquetra was at 1.5x, Circles was at 2x, and Feather was at 1.3x, your Icarus Playfield Multiplier would be 1.5 x 1.5 x 2 x 1.3 = 5.8x. Icarus Playfield Multiplier applies to all scoring.
Lighting Icarus Multiplier
Completing a bank of targets (independent of combo logic) will turn on that band member symbol light. So completing ROCK target bank turns on the feather, etc. Turn on all 4 lights to light Icarus target up the middle.
Starting Icarus Multiplier
Shooting the Icarus target when lit will start a timed playfield multiplier, with its value determined as above. The amount of time you get for this will be 15 seconds + 5 seconds for every side flipper shot you have made prior to starting the multiplier. You can see how long your next Icarus Playfield Multiplier timer is by looking at Instant Info.
During the timed multiplier, any shots to the side flipper shot will extend the timer by 15 seconds.
During the timed multiplier, any shots to the Icarus target itself will recalculate your current multiplier, and increase your playfield multiplier value if necessary (like if you had completed additional combos during the multiplier time).
Band Boost (Action Button)
- Acquiring Band Boosts:
- The player starts the game with 1 (adjustable) Band Boost.
- Completing a song adds 1 (adjustable) Band Boost.
- Going platinum in a song will add an additional 1 (adjustable) Band Boost.
- Changing a song with the top eject to a DIFFERENT song will add 2
(adjustable) Band Boosts.
- Player can store a maximum of 5 (adjustable) band boosts.
- Saving up three band boosts will enable Super Band Boost
- Using band boosts:
- During single ball play will instantly award 5x the current combo value, end the combo, and terminate the combo at the target bank with the lowest current band multiplier, boosting its multiplier value.
- During multiball will instead award progress toward your Icarus Add-a-ball (one hit).
- Using Super Band Boosts:
- During single ball play will award 10x the current combo value and terminate the combo, adding the multiplier to 2 of the target banks (the two lowest) instead of just one!
- During any multiball will instead instantly add-a-ball! This is in addition to any add-a-balls you can earn in that multiball!
- Band Boost status is shown in instant info and on action button light.
- Action button solid green = you have at least one band boost, but it currently cannot be used.
- Action button flashing green = you have at least one band boost and can use it now.
- Action button solid red = you have a super band boost but it currently cannot be used.
- Action button flashing red = you have a super band boost and can use it now.
Zeppelin Awards / Super Features:
- Every shot to the side flipper shot starts a super feature in this order:
- Super spinner
- Spinner(s) values are boosted by +100k/spin for 100 spins. Goes away upon draining ball. If you complete the 100 spinners, the next time you start super spinners it will be worth +200k/spin, etc.
- Super pops
- Pops values are boosted by +250k/pop for 40 pops. Goes away upon draining ball. If you complete the 40 pops, the next time you start super pops it will be worth +500k/pop, etc.
- Super slings
- Slingshot values are boosted by +100k/sling for 100 slings. Goes away upon draining ball. If you complete the 100 slings, the next time you start super slings it will be worth +200k/slingshot, etc.
- Super ramps
- The next 10 ramps you hit with song awards will double the value of the song award! Goes away upon draining ball.
- Super spinner
- You can see the status of your super modes in Instant Info.
Calculated from the combos you made that ball, plus gold and platinum records you’ve collected during the game. If you get to ? multiball, a diamond record will be applied and further multiply all multiplied bonus by 2 (or 3, or 4… if you’re crazy)
Increased by completing ROLL inlanes. Maxes at 50x.
Install Competition Settings
Performing Install Competition from the utility menu (not changing to competition mode in adjustments) will change the following:
- Turn on “competition mode”, which the only thing this affects is extra ball records. If extra ball records is on “auto” which means it reflexively changes, then with competition mode on, now it is at a fixed 5 records. If extra ball records is on a fixed amount it will continue to use the fixed amount.
- Start Zeppelin Multiball one difficulty higher, requiring you to spell ROCK to light locks
- Start Tour difficulty higher, requiring you to hit one right ramp before qualifying tour on left eject
- Disallow selecting a song that is already platinum
- Starts the game with 0 band boosts instead of 1.
- Increases Electric Magic MB start to three sets of LED ZEP targets (premium/LE only).