You have the option to choose your skill shot. There are two types of skill shots, one on the playfield and one at the top rollovers. Shooting the top rollover skill shot and/or the playfield skill shot awards 5% of your score + one of several awards. These are:
Left Scoop - Start Left Scoop Scene (if scenes are not lit) or Award Tobin’s Spirit Guide (if scenes are lit or ladder complete)
Left Loop (spinner shot) - +5M Super Jackpot
Left Ramp - Start Left Ramp Scene (if scenes are not lit) or Light Super Jackpot (if scenes are lit or ladder complete)
Right Loop - Start Right Loop Scene (if scenes are not lit) or Award River of Slime (if scenes are lit or ladder complete)
Right Ramp - Start PKE Frenzy or Catch 10 Ghosts (if scene is running or PKE Frenzy is currently lit)
Right Scoop - Catch 10 Ghosts
“P” Rollover - +3 Bonus X
“K” Rollover - Advance Playfield Multiplier (lights 2x if it’s not lit, or 3x if it is lit)
“E” Rollover- +3M Super Jackpot
Warning: There seems to be a bug that occasionally causes a ‘Start Scene’ skillshot to change to its alternate award even if scenes are not lit/running; the DMD text will reflect this so always read before you plunge!
They act just like in Game of Thrones. Shooting the pop bumpers enough times collects a mystery award. Awards include:
- Light 2/3 Ghosts
- Capture 1/2 Ghosts
- Light Extra Ball
- Award Special
- Advance Spinner Level
- Bump Spinner Value
- Advance Bonus X by 1x/3x
- Big Points (1 million points and a Twinkie, hooray)
- Light ESP Ability (video mode)
- Light Tobin’s Spirit Guide
- Light Storage Facility (one lock only)
- Add Time (10 seconds, during certain modes only)
Shooting the right captive ball lights several features. Shoot the captive ball once to qualify the feature on the next shot for 10 seconds, and then shoot again to start one of the features.
- Light Scoleri Brothers. This raises the two drop targets. Shoot both of the targets to light three Super Jackpots. If one is defeated and the other is not collected within 10 seconds, the other Scoleri Brother will re-appear.
- Light Terror Dog Hurry-Up. Shoot the terror dog target next to the right ramp or the right ramp itself to collect a hurry-up with a base value of 4 million. Increase the hurry up value at any time by shooting the Terror Dog target or the Gozer target.
- Librarian mini-mode (if you already played Spooked Librarian). Hit the captive ball to build up an award, then shoot the scoop to collect it and end the mini-mode.
- Light Terror Dog Hurry-Up (see above)
- Light Gozer Hurry-Up. Shoot the Gozer shot behind Slimer to collect a maximum 14m point hurry-up.
Shoot the center target once, and Slimer will lower onto the playfield (note - depending on code revision, the center target may need to be shot more than once). Shoot him three times to defeat him and light the Scenes at the three major shots. Hitting Slimer will also slime one shot on the playfield by turning its insert green. Cleaning up all of the slime will qualify the Super Jackpot shot. On the Premium/LE, the final Slimer shot might be on the right loop with Slimer in the Ecto Goggles. Keep in mind that a strong shot will start the right orbit scene you had just lit. NOTE: Slimer can be disabled in settings, the Ghost target replaces Slimer if it’s disabled.
Shooting flashing shots around the playfield will collect Ghosts. Ghosts can also be relit in normal play, typically through the Slot Pops, Tobin’s Spirit Guide, or a shot to the center target or right captive ball. In Storage Facility Multiball, each Jackpot also awards a Ghost (along with hits to Slimer or either of the Scoleri Brothers). Finally, a lit right ramp shot on the Pro can collect 1, 2, or 3 Ghosts in normal play, depending on how hard the shot is hit. Awards are given at certain numbers of Ghosts:
- Every 10 Ghosts: Light Storage Facility (one lock only, at the left ramp)
- 20: Light Tobin’s Spirit Guide (at left scoop)
- 40: Light Negative Reinforcement on ESP Ability (at right scoop)
- 60: Start Loopin’ Supers
- 80: Start PKE Frenzy
- 100: Start Mass Hysteria Multiball
- (Adjustable number of Ghosts, usually around 50): Light Extra Ball (at the left scoop)
Ghosts are also used to determine the Jackpot values for Storage Facility Multiball and PKE Frenzy. (In competition settings, they also determine your outcome during Negative Reinforcement on ESP Ability.)
(20) Tobin’s Spirit Guide
This award is lit at the left scoop after collecting 20 Ghosts or as a random Slot Pops award. It can also be started by making the left scoop Skill Shot if it’s already lit to start a Scene. Tobin’s Spirit Guide instantly awards 3 to 5 random awards - sometimes minor, sometimes important. These awards include:
- “Big Points”, “Bigger Points” and “Biggest Points” - various point values
- +10% Your Score
- Bump Spinner Value
- Increase Spinner Level
- Any of the Book Stacks features (“Start Brothers”, “Start Terror Dog”, “Start Gozer”)
- +3m Super Jackpot
- Light 2x / 3x Playfield Multiplier
- Light Storage Facility
- Give Light Storage Facility (qualifies the 3-ball captive ball to qualify the Storage Facility locks)
- Start PKE Frenzy
- Light Tobin’s Spirit Guide (yes, really!)
- Light Extra Ball
- Award Special
(40) Video Modes: “Negative Reinforcement on ESP Ability”/“Don’t Cross The Streams”
Video mode is lit at the right scoop after collecting 40 Ghosts. The current code offers two video modes to choose from:
Negative Reinforcement on ESP Ability: Similar to the opening of the first movie, you must predict the “next” card out of two choices. Use the flipper buttons to select your card or cash out your bank. The bank starts at 250,000, doubles with each successive guess up to 64M, then increases by 25M for each guess after that (89M, 114M, etc). One incorrect guess will forfeit the entire bank. In tournament settings, you are always given one correct “guess” per 10 ghosts collected, and the next “guess” after that will always be incorrect. Prior to the 1.10 code update, this was the only video mode.
Don’t Cross The Streams: There are two proton streams on each side of the display. Each flipper moves its stream toward the opposite side. Catch ghosts by aiming each stream at the ghosts before their timer runs out. The streams will gradually reset back to their original positions if its flipper is not being held. And as the name of the mode implies, don’t cross the streams! Catch 15 ghosts to win. Each ghost is roughly 2-3M, and completing the mode is worth 60M, presumably including an unmentioned completion bonus of about 20 million. There is a known tournament exploit involving this mode where players will keep choosing the right scoop as their Skill Shot at the start of their ball, allowing them to essentially start each ball off with 60 million.
(60) Loopin’ Supers
This mode becomes active after collecting 60 Ghosts. Ghost collection is paused until the mode is started. The goal of this mode is to loop the left ramp over and over in a 21 second period and collect Super Jackpots for each shot. The mode used to be able to continue indefinitely as long as you were hitting the ramp; unsure if this is fixed in 1.16.
(80) PKE Frenzy
This mode can be started by either collecting 80 Ghosts, making the right ramp Skill Shot, or from a Tobin’s Spirit Guide award. Ghost collection is paused until the mode is started, but can continue while the mode runs. All switches score a large number of points, and a jackpot is lit at the right ramp. The value of this Jackpot is 1,000 points times your current PKE level times a multiplier, but it gradually decays in value (the multiplier drops by 1x from a maximum of 12x every 5 seconds), so you should keep hitting switches to keep it up. Hitting 5 switches anywhere on the playfield, completing one of the PKE top lanes, or hitting the standups near the left captive balls will increase the multiplier by 1x. This can be a very lucrative mode with a multiball stacked into it, especially later in the game when you have more PKE and Ghosts.
(100) Mass Hysteria Multiball
This mode becomes active after collecting 100 Ghosts. The flippers have been reversed in this Multiball mode! Shoot all the flashing shots for Jackpots; at the start of the mode, the left loop, left ramp, right loop, right ramp, and right scoop are lit, and as each set is completed, the number of lit shots lowers. Hitting the right captive ball will toggle the reversed flippers on/off, complete with a light and sound show to alert you. To increase the jackpot value, you must switch the flipper orientation, collect at least one jackpot, and switch the flipper orientation again.
Storage Facility Multiball
Complete the Storage Facility left captive balls award to light three stacked locks, or collect 10/30/50 Ghosts to light one lock at the left ramp. Lock three balls to begin the Multiball. During the Multiball, all Ghost shots are lit to collect Jackpots and spot a Ghost towards one of the awards listed on the center of the playfield. Collect all ghosts to light three Super Jackpots. Scenes that are running when you start this multiball will continue during it. If the final scene of a Ladder is completed during Storage Facility, you will be able to start We Came, We Saw, We Kicked It’s… during Storage Facility.
- Add-a-Ball: Shoot the captive balls to light Add-a-Ball, then shoot the left scoop to collect it. Or, shoot the pop bumper shot, and get lucky off of the slot pops.
Shoot flashing shots (left scoop, left ramp, or right loop) to begin Scenes. Successfully completing a scene lights shots to begin next scene. Completing 3 scenes regardless of ladders lights Extra Ball, completing any ladder lights the “We Came, We Saw, We Kicked It’s…” mini-wizard mode, and completing all the scenes lights the “We’re Ready to Believe You!” wizard mode (both of these wizard modes are started via the left ramp once qualified).
As of 1.16, if you drain during a scene, the scene is marked as completed and you start with all three scene shots lit again. The exception is for any of the “top” scenes in each ladder, which will pick up where you left off (and thus, must be played through to clear the ladder).
Left Scoop Scenes (listed in order of play)
- Spooked Librarian: Shoot flashing shots to arrange books. Shoot three shots to complete the mode, with flashing (teal) shots giving double or triple the value. After a shot is made, the spinner will light red to raise the super jackpot by 100k per spin.
- Back Off, Man!: Shoot any of the lit shots. After first shot, 2 shot choices will be lit, until the final shot at the left scoop. The shots start at the right-most side of the playfield and gradually work their way toward the left scoop.
Left Ramp Scenes
- We Got One!: Shoot flashing shots. The shots in this mode alternate from left to right (i. e. First round = shoot left ramp or left loop, second round = shoot right loop or right ramp). Make 3 shots to end the mode.
- He Slimed Me!: Loop the left ramp to build up the mode jackpot. After 3 ramp shots, the loops will light to start a Slimer hurry-up. Hit either loop and Slimer will lower onto the playfield. Hit Slimer to collect the hurry-up and slime the entire playfield. Hitting the ramp will add points to the hurry-up, which can go beyond the initial value it was built up to.
- The Ballroom: Shoot each of the major shots once, then Slimer will come out. Hit him 3 times to light spinner and right ramp. Each Slimer hit will light a Super Jackpot, but collecting it is not required for completion. These Super Jackpots do not stack. Finish Slimer off by shooting the left loop and right ramp in either order for another hurry-up, then the left ramp to complete the mode.
Right Loop Scenes
- Okay, Who Brought the Dog?: Shoot each of the 3 lit shots (left loop, left ramp, right loop) to finish the mode.
- Spook Central: Starts with hurry-up on left ramp to determine jackpot value. Counts down starting at 15,125,000 down to 1.5M. Once hit or timed out, lights both orbits and both ramps for jackpots (one for each GB climbing out of hole). The initial ramp shot to lock in the hurryup value does not score that value. Very much like ST:TNG’s Asteroid Impact. Bug: Collecting the hurry-up at 1.5 million during the last few seconds of “grace period” can end the mode prematurely, or it can cause it to accidentially stack into your next mode.
- Gozer the Gozerian: Phase 1: Build value on Terror Dog target, cash in on right ramp or right orbit. Phase 2: Raise value on left ramp, cash in on Gozer target. Phase 3: Collect all lit shots (left ramp, left loop, right loop) and finish on Gozer target.
- Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man: Phase 1: Start by “choosing the form of the destructor”. Four shots are lit with multipliers, some of which start at 2x or 3x, but they slowly decay to 1x. Hitting any shot will lock in that multiplier for the rest of the mode. Phase 2: You have about 20 seconds to hit unlimited shots and damage Stay-Puft - all shots are lit for 3.5M + 125k each shot, times your initial multiplier. After 20 seconds, you advance to phase 3. If you drain during phase 2, you must start it over on your next ball. Phase 3: The right ramp, left ramp, and left orbit are lit for three more shots, building off the current shot value as before. Phase 4: Finally, right loop is lit, ball will be caught by post and you’re instructed to cross streams to save NY. Post releases the ball, and final shot is back at the right loop. The hurryup value is based on the total points scored so far in the mode.
(Mini-Wizard Mode) We Came, We Saw, We Kicked It’s…
Multiball, with # of balls based on the # of modes in the mode ladder you completed to start it. At first all shots are lit for jackpots, with values starting at 6.25M, increasing by 750k each shot up to a cap of 30M. Making enough shots awards a 100M super jackpot. Hitting a shot will unlight it, and it will re-light after hitting another shot, which itself then goes unlit, etc.
Because this mode lights with the completion of any scene ladder, you will play this mode twice as you go through all 9 modes. Once you complete your ninth mode, instead of this mode, you will light…
(Wizard Mode) We’re Ready To Believe You!
4-ball Multiball mode. The object is to collect 100 ghosts in 60 seconds. The captive ball can add time to the clock (still not exceeding 60 seconds), but will raise the Scoleri Brothers targets too. Reaching a ghost checkpoint advances your rank and adds a ball:
- 0-29 Ghosts: Junior
- 30-49 Ghosts: Tex
- 50-69 Ghosts: Apprentice
- 70-79 Ghosts: Ghostbuster
- 80-89 Ghosts: Demigod
- 90-99 Ghosts: Lesser Deity
- 100 Ghosts: “Maybe a God?”
(Super Wizard Mode) Are You a God?
If you successfully collect 100 Ghosts during We’re Ready to Believe You, you now get to prove whether you are indeed a God. Are You a God? starts as a task-based single ball mode with different levels. All shots score 10M + 1M for each shot.
- Level 1: Complete two two-shot combos: left ramp to left scoop, and right orbit to right scoop. After making the first shot, you have 10 seconds to make the other; otherwise you must start over with the first shot. Complete both combos to unlock:
- Level 2: Complete the following shots in order: Slimer, Librarian (left scoop), Terror Dog, Gozer, both Scoleri Brothers (they only raise after Gozer), the right orbit, and finally the left ramp. Again, you have 10 seconds to make each shot; otherwise you must start the whole sequence over.
- Level 3: “When someone asks you if you’re a god, you say… YES!” Collect a one billion completion bonus (and yes, this can be multiplied by playfield X), then a 6-ball “victory lap” multiball where all shots are lit for increasing jackpots.
Hitting the captive ball at any time during the first two stages adds time.
PKE builds up through bumper awards, bumper lane rollovers, and hitting the left standup targets. PKE fuels your scoring in PKE Frenzy, and is also a minor part of the end of ball bonus.
Shoot the left captive balls when lit through the standup targets to light the playfield multipliers, then shoot the targets in front of the ramp to increase the playfield multiplier to 2x, 3x, or 6x if both are flashing. Shoot flashing 2x and 3x targets to extend the timers on each. Completing the PKE standups will light ‘light multipliers’ if it isn’t already lit.
The Super Jackpot starts at 5M each ball and can be increased up to 30M by hitting the spinner (at a rate of 39k/spin). Things that light the Super Jackpot include:
- Defeating the Scoleri Brothers (three SJs)
- Capturing all ghosts during the Storage Facility Multiball (three SJs)
- Starting Loopin’ Supers (unlimited supers for a limited time)
- Collecting enough normal Jackpots in Mass Hysteria Multiball
- Cleaning up all the Slime on the playfield
- Left ramp Skill Shot when a scene is already lit
- Captive balls award
- Tobin’s Spirit Guide award
Hit left ramp to build hurryup jackpot. Hit left standups to collect.
River of Slime
Hit right loop to build hurryup jackpot. Collect in right scoop to light more River of Slime shots to collect the same River award again.