- Game Information
- Rules Overview
- Modes of Play
- Skill Shots
- Van Modes
- Multiball Modes
- Other Features
- Wizard Modes
- Competition Install
Game Information & Overview:
- Lead Designer: Jack Danger
- Code/Rules: Tanio Klyce, Raymond Davidson
- Lead Mechanical Engineer:
- Artwork: Zombie Yeti
- Display and Animations:
- Sound Design: Bob Baffy, select contributions by Tanio Klyce
- Release Date: March 2023
- Wiki Rulesheet based on Code Rev: 0.97
- Edit the Code revision, if applicable, when you make changes
Jack Danger’s first full-fledged pinball machine is as eclectic as the designer himself. In today’s episode of “Foo Fighters Saturday Morning Action Time!” our heroes discover a being known only as the Overlord that aims to reformat the world and erase all music from existence. Take control of the Fighters’ stylish van, mod it out, and save the cities that the Overlord has conquered while defeating his army of spider-bots.
- Weigh your options accordingly for the skill shot. A very soft plunge into the rock-o-meter lane will advance towards playfield multiplier, but plunging for the drop targets will mod out your van instantly and improve the next van mode.
- Shoot white arrows to light the left ramp to start a city mode. All city modes score well but can score even better if you complete them on your first try and / or mod out your van by shooting the paddle behind the drop targets. Mini-wizard modes at three and six cities saved.
- Shoot the captive ball to charge up your action button. This allows you to press it to collect lit shots during modes and multiballs.
- Shoot the Overlord until the insert there turns green and then lock a ball there; shoot it three more times for multiball. The first multiball is generally best played as a utility to help with your first van mode, while the second and third multiballs are far more lucrative (though they require way more shots).
- 5 right ramp shots will start Area 51 multiball, another good utility multiball. All shots score jackpots and are lit red. Once they turn blue, super jackpot can be accessed by shooting the right ramp followed by the captive ball as a combo.
- Mystery award – shoot the radio targets then quickly shoot either of them again when the white insert is flashing. Max out the radio dial this way to start supersonic radio mode.
- Right orbit shot lights rock-o-meter to advance towards 2x playfield, then 3x playfield if already running. Paddle target must be hit to light right orbit subsequently. Ray gun targets at return lanes multiply the next shot by 2x or 4x if both were hit.
- Bot target hits light the “bot award” target. 1st award lights ball save at right outlane, 2nd lights extra ball, 4th lights left ramp for bot frenzy (shoot the spinner for big points and targets to multiply them).
- Shoot the side ramp to light the Combotron inserts. Make 3 combos of at least 4 shots in a row to light the side ramp for their combined value.
- Players that succeed at completing all of the above tasks will be able to activate the FooBot and take down the Overlord with the Fighters’ giant mech.
A skill shot opportunity is presented at the start of each ball, and after locking the ball at the Overlord.
- Plunge the ball into the Rock-O-Meter lane to advance it. The advance is determined by which insert on the Rock-O-Meter is flashing - try to time it for when the top insert is flashing as this lights an entire insert. Scores 100k x the lit insert (1, 2, or 3).
- Plunge the ball to the flippers, and shoot either Sonic Radio target to score 1M, advance the dial and score a mystery award.
- Short plunge the ball so that it hits the drop targets for 250k and a level of whatever Van Mod insert is currently lit.
Super Skill Shot
- Left crossover shot to side ramp or side loop. The sequence can be repeated for up to a 6-way Super Skill Shot for 500k x the length of the super skill shot.
Secret Skill Shot
- Plunge the ball into the left inlane for 2.5M & additional ball save time.
- Plunge the ball into the left outlane for 5M & light Overdrive.
Shoot white shots to spell V-A-N and light “Start Van Mode” at the left ramp. Only one white shot is needed to light the left ramp for the first mode, up to a maximum of three white shots. As the game progresses, less and less white shots are available.
Each mode corresponds to a specific city and song and can be completed across multiple attempts, though completing a mode in one try scores more and is required to assemble the FooBot. Up to 12 shots are required to complete each mode: some shots give double progress, and 3 shots worth of progress are spotted for the first mode played during a game (the number of spotted shots decreases by 1 for each completed mode). Double progress shots will add double incremental points to the next mode shot.
All modes are subject to the upgrades that can be collected by shooting the MOD-ulator target. Shots can be spotted during van modes by pressing the action button if it has been qualified via the UFO captive ball. All modes are timed for 50 seconds, but 3 seconds of time are added for each increment of progress made during the mode.
Making the final shot in each mode - which is always at the Overlord - awards an additional Time Bonus worth 1% of the mode total (excluding extra points from 2x or 3x playfield) x the number of seconds remaining. The final shot award is halved if it took you multiple attempts to win the mode. Scoring more than 50M in a van mode upgrades the FooBot left leg and increases the base jackpot value during Austin.
Seattle (This Is A Call): Two shots are lit. They start on the right and move their way to the left, and then back to the right, as you shoot either one to help spread Foo Fighters music throughout Seattle. The side loop will count as 2x progress (and 2x Award increment).
- Award starting value: 2M
- Award increment: 400k
- 3x Value + 2x Progress Shot: Side Loop
Roswell (Run): The Foo Fighters (orange shot arrow on random shot) are trying to run away from the Overlord (green shot arrow). The Overlord will move towards the Foo Fighters - if he catches them you will lose mode progress so keep running!
- Award starting value: 1.5M
- Award increment: 150k
- Single Value Shot: Overlord (Green arrow)
- 3x Value + 2x Progress Shot: Foo Fighters (Orange arrow)
Los Angeles (Learn to Fly): Shoot the ramps to help the Foo Fighters learn to fly. Combo ramps for multiplied awards! The side ramp scores double what the left and right ramps score.
- Award starting value: 1M
- Award increment: 100k
- Double Value Shot: Side ramp (will not increase the combo multiplier)
- 2x Progress Shots: Any ramp if you are in a combo (fast flashing)
New Orleans (I’ll Stick Around): The Foo Fighters are living it up in N’awlins! All shots start lit; shooting one will then light only that shot until you shoot it again. Side flipper shots only need to be made once, but will count as being hit twice!
- Award starting value: 2M
- Award increment: 200k
- 2x Value + 2x Progress Shots: Side loop and side ramp
Chicago (Something From Nothing): Save the people of Chicago from being reformatted! A hurry-up will start on one shot, but if you don’t hit it fast enough, it will spread to a nearby shot. Extinguishing all the shot arrows will boost the base hurry-up value, and reset it.
- Award starting value: 3.5M (counts down with time)
- Award increment: 500K (when you hit the solitary-lit shot)
- 2x Progress Shot: If only one shot is lit and you hit it, 2x progress is awarded
New York (Breakout): Shoot the spinner to draw out and destroy the spiderbots. Build the shot value with the spinner, which will also light a random shot (determined by the spinner) for 3x progress and value. Once the spinner hasn’t been hit in 3 seconds, shoot it again to collect the value.
- Award starting value: 500k
- Award increment: 100k per progress shot + 10k per spin during build phase
- 3x Value + Progress Shots: The non-spinner lane roving shot
After shooting all three drop targets, the MOD-ulator target behind them will be lit for a short time to level up the van mod indicated by the flashing insert on the left side, which cycles between the three available mods. You lock in your cycling mod when you knock down the first drop in the bank. Keep shooting it to advance the level, before the 10-second timer runs out. If the mod has already been collected, the drop targets can be completed further times to collect more mods, or to upgrade the level of a collected mod.
If the MOD-ulator target is shot without knocking down all three drop targets prior, the Bonus X will increase and the targets will reset.
- Engine: Adds more time to the next van mode - 20 seconds at base +10 seconds per upgrade.
- Speakers: Increased scoring for the next van mode - 500k at base +250k per upgrade.
- Bomb: The next van mode requires less shots - 2 less shots at base +1 per upgrade. If the final shot is scored with an active bomb mod, the base points, plus increment awards, for the spotted shots are collected alongside it, and factor into the Time Bonus as well. Note: modes with award increments greater than 200K use 200K as their increments for Bomb Bonus purposes.
The level of each mod can be identified by the color of its insert:
- Level 1: Yellow
- Level 2: Lime
- Level 3: Green
- Level 4: Cyan
- Level 5: Blue
- Level 6: Purple
- Level 7: Red
Van mods also increase the base jackpot values in D.C..
Shoot the Overlord or the targets surrounding it to advance towards and start Overlord Multiballs. For the first multiball, three shots to any Overlord target must be made to light the Overlord for lock, then the ball can be locked and shot three more times to start the multiball. The number of shots required to lock a ball and start multiball increases with each multiball played, eventually requiring shots to the targets surrounding the Overlord before the ball can be locked. Area 51 Multiball can be progressed towards and started during any Overlord Multiball.
The jackpot value is shared across all Overlord Multiballs and starts at 1M, increasing by 25k by shooting the center Overlord target, 150k by shooting the Overlord captive ball during multiball, and 150k for each jackpot scored during the first multiball & double jackpot scored during the second multiball.
- All My Life: 2-ball Multiball. Jackpots are lit in the following sequence: L ramp / R ramp / spinner, L crossover / R orbit, side loop / side ramp, then Overlord target for super jackpot worth the jackpot total. Shoot the Overlord targets and lock a ball to spot a jackpot, and enable 2x jackpots for a short time.
- Monkey Wrench: 3-ball Multiball. All shots are lit for jackpot - once one has been collected, shoot it again to score a double jackpot. Score jackpots at all shots to light super jackpot at the Overlord target. Shoot Overlord targets and lock a ball for 2x jackpots for a short time.
- The Pretender: 4-ball Multiball. All shots are lit for jackpot and relit by shooting any other jackpot shot. Shoot all unique shots at least once to light super jackpot at the Overlord target. Shoot Overlord targets and lock a ball for 2x jackpots for a short time.
If all three multiballs have been played and the final battle isn’t ready, “The Pretender” multiball will be the only one available until the wizard mode is started.
Area 51 Multiball:
Pro: Shoot the right ramp 5 times to start Area 51 Multiball. Subsequent multiballs require 9 shots to the right ramp. This multiball can be progressed towards and started during any Overlord Multiball.
During multiball, all shots are lit for jackpot (750k), and the two bot targets flanking the right ramp (along with the right ramp itself) are lit to increase the jackpot value (by 750k). After collecting enough jackpots, shoot the right ramp followed by the UFO captive ball as a combo to score the super jackpot worth 1M + (750k per lit shot collected), which can continue to be increased by shooting other shots until it has been collected. Scoring the super jackpot enables the jackpots again and increases the jackpot value by 500k.
Prem/LE: Shots to the right ramp divert the ball to the Area 51 mini-playfield. Complete the targets, then shoot the spinner, then the loop, and finally the secret files target at the back to start Area 51 Multiball. For the first Area 51 multiball, progress is spotted with each right ramp shot - subsequent multiballs require more hits to the upper playfield shots, and won’t spot progress. This multiball can be progressed towards and started during any Overlord Multiball.
During multiball, all shots are lit to score jackpots and increase the super jackpot value; the jackpot value can be increased by 500k by making shots on the upper playfield. The super jackpot is scored the same way that the player started the multiball (upper playfield targets, then spinner, then loop, then secret files target) and can be collected at any time.
Completing certain game features will collect a FooBot part and light its insert. There are Upgrade Criteria for the game feature that will instead make the insert flash, as indicated below.
Collected FooBot parts will enable a 2x shot multiplier at the corresponding band member’s shot until the end of the ball. Upgraded parts will have the 2x shot multiplier carryover for the whole game. Collect all 6 FooBot parts to light FooBot Multiball at the left ramp.
|Torso (Heart)||Taylor||2x Side Ramp||Collect a Combo-Tron jackpot||Collect a Combo-Tron jackpot of at least 10M points|
|Head||Dave||2x Right Ramp||Start Area 51 Multiball||Get a super jackpot in Area 51 Multiball|
|Left Arm||Nate||2x Side Loop||Score an Overlord Multiball Super Jackpot||Get two super jackpots or one 2x super jackpot in an Overlord Multiball, or play the 2nd or 3rd Overlord Multiball|
|Right Arm||Chris||2x Right Orbit||Start Bot Frenzy||Score at least 25M points in Bot Frenzy|
|Left Leg||Pat||2x Left Ramp||Complete a van mode in one visit||Score at least 50M points in a van mode|
|Right Leg||Rami||2x Left Crossover||Start Supersonic Radio||Score the radio jackpot during Supersonic Radio|
During the multiball: All band member shots (the three ramps and three orbits) are lit for jackpots. Once a jackpot is scored, that shot and the Overlord will be lit; the player can either keep making the shot to increase the jackpot and its multiplier, or shoot the Overlord to attack him for the current jackpot value + multiplier, with more Overlord shots required to light subsequent jackpots. Repeat with all 6 band members to light Overlord for Super Jackpot, multiplied by all 6 multipliers added together. Every other time the required Overlord shots are completed, a ball will be added.
The jackpot value for this multiball starts at 3M, but each jackpot shot is increased by a percentage of scoring from the feature that was used to collect their respective FooBot part, up to 10M:
- Left crossover - 5% of points scored during Supersonic Radio
- Left ramp - 1% of points scored during all van modes
- Upper loop - 5% of points scored during all Overlord Multiballs
- Side ramp - 5% of Combo-Tron jackpot award
- Right ramp - 5% of points scored during Area 51 Multiball
- Right orbit - 5% of points scored during Bot Frenzy
(Currently not implemented.)
Overdrive Ball Save:
The left outlane is lit for Overdrive at the start of the game, and after two completions of the Sonic Radio targets (one for Prem / LE models). This is a virtual ball save on Pro models; on Prem / LE models the Deadpost will raise when the ball rolls over the left outlane. Hold up the left flipper quickly to save the ball.
Sonic Radio Targets:
Each completion of the Sonic Radio targets enables a radio mystery award at the targets for a limited time - the player must collect this mystery award to advance the dial and lock it in, otherwise it will reset. During wizard modes, awards can be scored at the targets, but the dial rule won’t apply. Possible radio mystery awards are:
- Add-a-ball (context-sensitive as usual)
- 2.5M points
- 5M points
- Upgrade any of the van mods (if collected during a mode, the perk is automatically applied)
- +3 spinner level
- Max tractor beam (instantly awards three uses of the action button)
- +1x Bonus X
- Light ball save (at right outlane)
- Light extra ball (rare, percentage-based)
Maxing out the radio dial by scoring five mystery awards starts Supersonic Radio mode and collects the right leg of the FooBot. For 50 seconds, all shots are lit gray to boost the value and increase the value scored for pink shots during the mode. Shooting any gray shot will turn its insert pink, and shooting it again will score the built up value (and light the Sonic Radio targets to add 15 seconds of time). Shoot all lit pink shots to enable the Sonic Radio targets for the radio jackpot worth the total value of all shots.
Scoring the radio jackpot during Supersonic Radio upgrades the right leg of the FooBot.
Shooting any shot marked with a Combo-Tron insert will begin the Combo-Tron sequence. Spawn these shots by either shooting lit Combo-Tron shots, or by shooting the side ramp.
The Combo-Tron is the icon at the bottom right corner of the display. Each shot on the playfield is marked with a circle insert representing a different segment of the Combo-Tron (on Prem / LE, the upper playfield shots are mapped to the side ramp and side loop and are an alternate way to achieve those shots). Making these shots as combos scores points indicated by the color of the combo on screen, which increases as more shots are made and as full sets of combos are completed. The best combo value you scored during the ball is scored as part of end-of-ball bonus.
There are also six band member combos, which increase all combo scoring once collected and score a bonus, with extra ball lit after scoring all six:
|Member||Shot 1||Shot 2||Shot 3|
|Taylor||Side ramp||Spinner||Side ramp|
|Dave||Right ramp||Left ramp||Right orbit|
|Nate||Side loop||Side loop||Side loop|
|Chris||Right orbit||Left ramp||Right orbit|
|Pat||Left ramp||Spinner||Side ramp|
|Rami||Left crossover||Side loop||MOD-ulator target|
Combo-Tron shots are worth 25k + 5k per band member combo this game + 10k per band member combo this ball x the current level each shot has been advanced to (make multiple combo shots to the same shot to advance its level further).
Collect 3 combos of at least 4 inserts or more to light the side ramp for the Combo-Tron jackpot, worth the total value of the 3 combos collected. Scoring this jackpot awards a FooBot part.
Collecting enough combos lights the side ramp for Combo-Tron Multiball.
UFO Captive Ball:
Rolling over the loop switch by shooting the UFO captive ball enough times (8 switch hits +4 to advance levels) will light the action button to collect the “most valuable” shot during Van Modes. The captive ball cannot be advanced while any multiball mode is active, unless you shoot it immediately after a Left Crossover shot combo.
You can earn up to 3 action button uses at a time (yellow if one use, green if two, red if three). The number of shots needed to light one depends on whether you currently have any - as you collect uses, further uses are easier to qualify.
Rolling over the switch at the exit of the left crossover shot lights the captive ball for a bonus worth 250k + 50k for each time the captive ball was shot prior, and multiplied by 2x if quickly shot via the upper flipper. Each UFO bonus you collect will increase the rate at which the UFO bonus grows in the future by 25k, or 50k if you scored a 2x UFO bonus. Making this combo also adds +1 to the UFO captive ball progression regardless of any ongoing modes.
Roll through either of the left and right return lanes three times to enable one of the inlanes for super spinner, which can be toggled with the flippers. Super spinner lights the spinner to score 5x the spinner value for a limited time.
The base spinner level can be increased by shooting it enough times or via a radio mystery award.
Roll through the lit Rock-O-Meter lane while the “battery” insert is lit, either indirectly or through right orbit shots, three times to start a 40-second timed 2x playfield multiplier. Completing the process of qualifying the playfield multiplier again while it’s running will reset the timer and increase the multiplier to 3x. Completing it while 3x is running will add 10 seconds to the playfield multiplier timer.
The Rock-O-Meter is advanced by making skill shots to the lane or by shooting the right orbit.
Subsequent playfield multipliers are more difficult to start. The “battery” to advance the Rock-O-Meter eventually has to be lit at the right orbit by shooting the MOD-ulator target (on a timer at the highest difficulty).
Bot Awards & Bot Frenzy:
Shoot the 4 standup targets enough times (outside of any wizard mode) to light the Bot Award target for an award.
- 1 set: Light ball save at the right outlane
- 2 sets: Light Extra Ball
- 3 sets: Bot Bonus (100k x number of bot targets scored over the course of the entire game)
- 4 sets: Light Bot Frenzy at the left ramp
Bot Frenzy is a 40-second timed single ball mode, though it can be brought into and started during all other modes in the game, where shots to the standup targets increase the value of the spinner by 5k and add a multiplier to the spinner value (up to 5x with a shot to all four targets). The built-up value is only applicable for one spinner rip, at which point the value will reset albeit at a higher base value (10k base + 5k per spinner rip).
The lightning target is located slightly above the entrance to the Rock-O-Meter lane and covers a surprisingly large amount of distance. Hitting the lightning target lights the lightning bolt inserts at the left and right ramps for 50k - make these ramp shots as combos to increase the current lightning target value by 50k and award it again.
Collecting 10 lightning target hits starts a 30-second timed Super Lightning mode (5 seconds are added for every target hit and lit lightning ramp scored prior). During Super Lightning, the left and right ramps are lit to award 10x the lightning value that was built up through target hits or combos prior.
Ray Gun Targets:
Shatzing / alley passing either ray gun target will enable a 2x shot multiplier on the next shot made following the ray gun target completion - 4x if the player immediately shoots the ray gun target on the other side. This multiplier stacks with the permanent ones that can be earned from Foo-Bot parts, the timed playfield multiplier, and the 2x jackpot multiplier during Overlord Multiball modes. Shots spotted via the action button are not subject to these multipliers.
If the left crossover shot is made with a shot multiplier active, they will also apply to the next upper flipper shot (either upper loop or side ramp).
The ray gun targets are relit by rolling through their respective inlane.
Extra ball can be lit at the Bot Award target by:
- Completing two Van Modes
- Scoring the 2nd Bot Award
- Scoring all six band member combos
- Percentage-based radio mystery award
Bonus is determined by:
- Van mode shots - 100k x the number of lit mode shots this ball
- Van mods collected - 50k x the number of mods collected or advanced this ball
- “Best of You” - the highest combo value collected this ball
All multiplied by the bonus X, built at the paddle target when drops are still active. If you have 1 or 2 drop targets knocked down and hit the MOD-ulator target, they will reset and you will progress toward increasing your Bonus X (1 circle if 2 drops down, 2 circles if 1 drop down). The circular inserts indicate your progress toward increasing your Bonus X. The number of completions required increases for further multipliers.
Austin Mini-Wizard Mode ("Times Like These"):
The Foo Fighters are having a BBQ cookout when they are interrupted by the Overlord and his army of
Spider-Bots! For each van mode you managed to complete in one try, your starting jackpot value will be larger.
Shoot the red shots to score jackpots determined by the player’s performance in the van modes (1.5M + 500k per van mode completed in one try) +50k per jackpot, and increase the value of the super jackpot, worth the jackpot total, by +1x. The super jackpot is collected at the blue shot, whose location can be changed by shooting the Overlord. Each super jackpot adds +100k value to the jackpots that follow it. Scoring a 5x super jackpot, by scoring 4 jackpots before the super jackpot, will add a ball; two more add-a-balls are awarded for the first 6x and 7x super jackpots.
D.C. Mini-Wizard Mode ("Holding Poison"):
The Foo Fighters’ van has been dismantled by Spider-Bots! Help the band get all the parts back from them to rebuild their van. Mod out the van by shooting the MOD-ulator target to increase the base jackpot value for this multiball.
All band member shots are lit for jackpots determined by the mods the player has added to their van (1M + 50k per mod + 25k per subsequent jackpot). A roving light on the drop targets will show you the various van parts that are missing. Completing the drops and then shooting the paddle target behind them will light a super jackpot at the corresponding band member for the jackpot total up to that point, and add a ball for the 1st, 3rd, and 5th unique super jackpots.
If the player manages to score all 6 unique super jackpots and reassemble the van, victory laps will start.
The Final Battle Wizard Mode ("Rescued"):
The left ramp will light to commence the final battle against the Overlord after completing all three of the following tasks:
- Saving all cities from the Overlord’s forces, including Austin and D.C.
- Playing all three Overlord Multiballs
- Assembling the FooBot and playing FooBot Multiball
The Overlord has successfully captured the Foo Fighters, but not for long…
Rescue Pat and Dave by making hurry-up shots to the left and right ramps; shooting both bot targets flanking the right ramp will spot a right ramp shot. The other band members must then be rescued by making their corresponding shots - the three orbits and the side ramp - with each hurry-up increasing the multiplier for the next. The hurry-up value starts at 10M per shot + 2.5M per shot made.
Once all six members have been rescued, the band uncovers the truth behind the Overlord. All shots are lit to score damage for 5M and increase the multiplier for subsequent shots, but can only be collected once before they must be relit by shooting the Overlord (which also deals 1x damage, resets the multiplier, and is required for the final blow).
After depleting the health bar, multiball will begin to finish the Overlord’s mech off as the FooBot is brought out once more. All shots are lit to deal damage for 1M and unlight until a different shot is made, with a super jackpot + add-a-ball available by first completing the two Overlord standup targets and then shooting the flashing shot, which can be moved by shooting the Overlord. All scoring during this phase of the final battle is multiplied by the number of balls in play.
Once the Overlord is defeated, all process will reset and all FooBot parts will be reset, but their shot multipliers will be increased by +1x for the next play through of the game!
- Van modes = timer is 40 seconds by default instead of 50.
- Overlord difficulty = medium (cannot shoot inside overlord to spot targets).
- Overlord lock behavior = lock empties at end of ball if 2+ players.
- Mystery awards are given in the following order (replace van mods w/ 250k if scored during a wizard mode):
- 2.5M points
- Upgrade engine van mod
- Advance spinner
- Upgrade speakers van mod
- Max tractor beam
- Upgrade bomb van mod
- 5M points
- +1x Bonus X
- Light ball save
- Light extra ball