- Left outlane - Standard. Can be qualified for a virtual ball save after enough hits to the left stand ups. Also has the “R” light in RAGE.
- Left inlane - Standard. Contains the “A” in RAGE.
- Left stand-ups - Two standup targets at the very far left of the playfield, with inserts reading “ADD TIME” in front of them. Hitting either target during a mode will add some time. The targets also count down towards activating the virtual ball save at the left outlane.
- Left saucer -
- (Pro) A saucer to the left of the machine that can easily be made from the right flipper and is nearly impossible to backhand because of the curved lane leading up to it (possible on some games). The saucer kicks the ball upwards towards the ramp, where it feeds the right inlane. Collects Add-A-Ball during Triple Knights Challenge and starts Knight Mode when lit. Also acts as a mode shot, advances the base value of a qualified Super Mode, and collects the Super Mode payoff (although there aren’t any inserts dedicated to the latter two features).
- (Premium / LE) A saucer to the left of the machine hidden behind a drop target. Shooting the saucer will kick the ball directly towards the upper right flipper for a quick shot at either the upper loop or catapult. Once this shot has been made, the drop target will raise again.
- Left spinner (Pro) - A spinner located in front of the left saucer shot. Counts down towards qualifying Add-A-Ball during Triple Knights Challenge and changes the next lit Lightning Wheel Mode if it hasn’t been locked in yet.
- Drop target (Premium) - A single drop target located in front of the left saucer shot. Hitting the drop target boosts the Super Mode level by 1. Once the saucer behind it has been made, the drop target will raise again. Hitting the drop target will qualify the Add-A-Ball during Triple Knights Challenge and change the next lit Lightning Wheel Mode if it hasn’t been locked in yet.
- Left orbit - A short orbit that generally feeds the WAR lanes through a diverter, although if the lightning bolt insert in front of it is solid or flashing, the shot will make the ball travel around the playfield towards the right flipper. Acts as a mode shot.
- Right spinner - Another spinner located in front of the left orbit shot. This spinner counts down to qualifying a Super Mode at the Black Knight target.
- Ramp -
- (Pro) This ramp curves around towards the right inlane but it isn’t always accessible due to the Flail target spinning in front of it. Shooting the ramp after enough shots have been made in non-mode play will lock in the currently flashing Lightning Wheel Mode and qualify the right saucer to start it (indicated by the REALM lamp flashing in front of the ramp). Also acts as a mode shot.
- (Premium / LE) This ramp directly feeds the upper right flipper but it isn’t always accessible due to the Flail target spinning in front of it. Shooting the ramp after enough shots have been made in non-mode play will lock in the currently flashing Lightning Wheel Mode and qualify the right saucer to start it (indicated by the REALM lamp flashing in front of the ramp). Also acts as a mode shot.
- Flail - The Black Knight’s left hand carries a flail that spins around in front of the ramp, blocking shots towards it and sending them directly towards the flippers (and potentially ending your ball really quickly!). The flail is one of the three shots that can qualify a main mode and it also plays a major role during Triple Knights Challenge, where it is blocking the Super Jackpot shot, and the WAR Hurry-Up.
- Black Knight target - A target directly in the center of the machine, with a figure of the titular Black Knight on top of it that taunts the player during gameplay through an insert in its helmet that lights up. This is a very dangerous shot that can send the ball out of control if you’re not careful; however, the risk is worth it, as the target helps advance towards Lightning Wheel Modes, will begin any lit Super Modes (“SUPER”) and will activate the Sword of Rage during a main mode if it has been charged up fully (“POWER”). On some machines, shots to the right drop targets might rebound into this target and give you a relatively safe feed to the flippers - use this to your advantage! Also acts as a mode shot.
- Shield - The Black Knight’s right hand carries a shield that lifts up when the ball hits it to block shots. Similarly to the Flail, the Shield isn’t active during main modes or other times during play. Generally, this shot is quite a bit safer than the other two - it can easily be backhanded without worrying about the trajectory of the shot, meaning this shot is preferable for starting up Lightning Wheel Modes.
- Right saucer - Hidden behind the Shield is a short lane that feeds the right saucer, which kicks the ball onto the ramp and feeds the right inlane. This saucer can be made from either flipper and is especially satisfying as a backhand from the right flipper. The saucer is important throughout the game, as it begins qualified Lightning Wheel Modes, locks balls for Triple Knights Challenge, and collects Extra Balls and Mystery awards throughout the game. Also acts as a mode shot.
- Light Lock target - A small standup target located directly to the right of the Shield (approximately in front of the right saucer itself). This is much easier as a backhand from the right flipper than a direct hit from the left flipper. Hitting this target enough times will qualify the Lock for Triple Knights Challenge at the right saucer. Also acts as a mode shot.
- Right orbit - The opposite of the left orbit and where the plunger deposits the ball. Most of the time the ball is diverted into the WAR lanes, but if the lightning bolt insert in front of the shot is solid or flashing, the ball will be sent out the entrance of the left orbit to the left flipper. Acts as a mode shot.
- 3-bank drop targets - A set of three drop targets located to the far right of the machine. Completing the drop targets instantly adds around 20% charge to the Sword of Rage and counts down towards qualifying Magna-Save if it isn’t already lit. The drop targets time out after a short time so complete them before the timer ends.
- Right inlane - Standard. A ball caught through Magna-Save will be deposited here. Also collects the “G” in RAGE.
- Right outlane - Standard. Collects the “E” in RAGE.
- Magna-Save - This feature is indicated by a circular shape with an arrow insert above the right inlane. When the insert is lit, Magna-Save can be used to save a ball that might be draining down the right outlane. If the insert isn’t lit, you’re screwed.
- WAR lanes - The standard three top lanes, spelling out WAR. Completing WAR adds +1x Bonus and begins the WAR Hurry-Up after spelling WAR enough times.
- Action button - Pressing the button on the lockdown bar when flashing will activate the Magna-Save. Don’t waste it, and remember: just because it’s flashing doesn’t mean you should press it out of frustration. Wait until the ball looks like it will drain down the right outlane BEFORE pressing it.
- Upper playfield (Premium / LE) - On the Premium / LE models of the game, a plastic sheet covers the top of the game, with an upper right flipper and additional shots that can be made.
- Upper loop -
- The Display - There are several important features worth noting on the display:
- Super Modes - The five Super Modes (Slings, Pops, Orbits, Lanes, Spins, Targets) are shown to the left of the display. When these modes are active a timer will be shown in front of the mode’s respective symbol. Collecting the Super Mode payoff will end the timer and display a treasure chest that opens at the bottom of the row of symbols.
- The Sword of Rage - Progress towards charging up the Sword of Rage will be shown as the gauge in the Sword increases through switch hits and other methods. When the Sword is fully charged, Power will be lit at the Black Knight target. A timer is shown in front of this portion of the display during main modes.
Standard Skill Shot (Pro) - Plunge the lit top lane. 750k + 250k for each additional Skill Shot.
– NOTE: If the left flipper is held in (ie. Super Skill Shot) and the ball enters the lit top lane WITHOUT changing it, a Super Skill Shot will be awarded, worth 3x the value of a normal Skill Shot along with incrementing the base value of the Skill Shot by 250k.
Standard Skill Shot (Premium / LE) - hit the light locks standup target on the upper playfield 1.0M +250K for each additional Skill Shot.
Super Skill Shot (Pro)- hold in the left flipper and hit one of the three Knight shots (flail, Knight target, shield). 1.5M + 500k for each additional Super Skill Shot.
Super Skill Shot (Premium / LE) - Lock a ball in the catapult lock on the upper playfield 2.0M +500K or each additional super skill shot
Lightning Wheel Modes
Hit the center ramp, knight or shield X times, where
X = (# of modes played in current set) + (# of completed sets of 6 modes) + 1
(Essentially, for the first mode, you will only need to make one of either shot. For the second mode, two of either shot has to be made, etc. For each set of modes completed, the amount of shots required for the first mode will increase by 1, affecting the shots required to start further modes.)
These three shots will be rainbow color coded to tell you how many shots left you have (red = 1, orange = 2, yellow = 3, green = 4) and repeat colors every 4 hits (so red can be 5 shots or 1, for example). After hitting any X shots, the center ramp inserts will strobe. Hit the center ramp and then the shield (raised) into the scoop to begin a mode. (Ramp to scoop on the fly from the right flipper is not only super satisfying, but it’s the preferred way to make the shot!) Each Lightning Wheel Mode has its own insert colors, which are shown on the lightning bolt circle above the flippers, when the mode is qualified, and during the mode itself; these are listed next to the titles of each mode.
Mud Bog (Green)
Fight a 5-headed Hydra!
5 shots are lit (left spinner lane, left orbit, left ramp, Lock target, right orbit) to start. Shooting any shot “locks” the shot in and starts a timer. Shoot the shot again to score more points and cut off one of the Hydra heads and eliminate the shot from the mode.
A KNIGHT letter is awarded after cutting off the 3rd head. The mode is completed upon cutting off all five heads.
Upgrading the mode with Power (from the Sword of Rage) awards 2x scoring for each shot during the mode and allows every shot that hasn’t been completed to count towards sealing and cutting off a Hydra head. This means that you could potentially finish off the round by collecting Power early on, and making 10 shots to the ramp.
Molten Fire (Orange)
Fight the Magma Beast with nothing but steel!
All 7 main shots on the game will start lit. Complete 10 of these shots to end the mode; after clearing the first set, all of the shots will relight. Shots will disappear once completed.
A KNIGHT letter is awarded after completing 5 shots in this mode. The mode is completed upon completing all 10 shots.
Upgrading the mode with Power makes all shots that haven’t been completed permanent, so you can loop one shot for a fast completion! Make sure you collect this upgrade at the start of the mode; it also works really well with Triple Knights Challenge.
Burning Sands (Yellow)
Don’t let fear be your mindkiller as you battle the Sandworm!
A roving set of three shots will move around between the 7 main shots. Shoot one of the three shots to lock in the three-shot set. The other two shots will temporarily hold position until they are completed or they time out. In either case, the roving phase will continue.
A KNIGHT letter is awarded at 3 successful shots to the Sandworm (or one complete set). The mode is completed upon making 9 successful shots (or three sets).
Upgrading the mode with Power locks the roving shot phase onto the Ramp, Black Knight Target, and Shield. Bringing in a WAR Hurry-Up and / or Triple Knights Challenge with this upgrade can result in some great scores thanks to how the two interact with each other.
Wicked Cavern (Red)
Send Hell Hand back from whence it came!
Shots alternate between two groups: the left group (Spinner lane, Left Orbit, Ramp, Target) and the right group (Target, Shield, Lock Target, Right Orbit). To start, a shot will be randomly lit out of the 4 shots of the left group. Shooting this shot will randomly light one of the 4 shots of the right group. This series repeats four times, with an additional random shot in the group added per cycle.
A KNIGHT letter is awarded upon completing the second cycle of shots. The mode is completed upon completing the fourth cycle.
Upgrading the mode with Power (from the Sword of Rage) changes the mode so that all 4 shots will be lit for all 4 cycles.
Deep Freeze (Blue)
Give the Lich Lords the cold shoulder!
3 shots are lit in blue (left spinner lane, ramp, right orbit). Shooting a blue shot freezes a Lich and turns the shot red. Shooting a red shot awards more points and defeats the Lich at that shot and any other red shots that are lit, awarding a larger bonus for each. Once a Lich is defeated, another blue shot will be lit (left orbit for left spinner lane, Black Knight target for ramp, Lock target for right orbit). Shooting this shot adds a new Lich so you can beat on them even more!
A KNIGHT letter is awarded after the 3rd defeated Lich. The mode is completed upon defeating 6 Lichs.
Upgrading the mode with Power (from the Sword of Rage) changes the mode so that the 6 shots used in the mode all count as one-shot Lich kills.
Black Castle & RAGE Multiball (Purple)
Get ready for battle, here’s the Black Knight!
Black Castle is a 99 second timed mode (as opposed to the others) where the goal is to defeat the Black Knight by completing four outer loop shots. The only problem - to light them, you have to make shots to some of the most dangerous targets in the game without draining the ball! The mode starts with the flail, Black Knight target, and shield lit. Hitting all three of these shots will light all four of the remaining shots. When one of the outer loops is made, the three inner shots will relight, except the flail will be spinning faster and the shield will kick back the ball far more violently. Once all four outer shots have been completed, the saucer behind the shield will light to finish off the Black Knight - scoring a bonus based off of the time that was remaining in the mode - and begin RAGE Multiball.
(Need more information about RAGE Multiball - 6-ball play, frenzy based scoring? Jackpots?)
No KNIGHT letters or Power bonuses can be collected/used. After playing Black Castle, mode progression resets with the number of hits required to start increased by 1.
This mode will ALWAYS be the last mode played in a cycle. After this mode has been played, you will be able to choose from the other five modes once more.
Other Mode Things
Mode timer is at the top right above the sword and starts at 65 seconds, with the exception of Black Castle at 99 seconds. Time can be added by hitting the Add Time standups on the left (~3 seconds per target hit, 10 seconds per completion).
The base values of each mode increase by 950k once a mode is completed. You can also boost the base values by a small amount by shooting the spinning flail when a mode is lit.
On recent code revisions, modes in progress carry over from ball to ball. Time is automatically added if the timer for a mode is under a certain threshold when the ball drains.
Super Modes (Lanes, Slings, Spinner, Orbits, Targets, Pops) are started by hitting a sufficient number of right spinner turns, which then light the Super standup to begin a Super Mode. Before starting the Super Mode, shots to the left spinner lane will increase the level of each Super Mode from 1 to 4. Currently, there is no way to know which mode you’ll get!
Once started, a timer (at the top left of the display) will tell you how much time is left on the active super mode(s). Orbits + standup can activate subsequent super modes in a stack, which will also add 15 seconds to the timer. The Super Mode timer pauses during Multiball rounds!
Hitting the left lane saucer will end all active super modes and award a cashout award worth the value of the Super Mode scoring (after playfield multipliers during KNIGHT Multiball are applied.)
Note: The left lane is also the add-a-ball shot during multiball. Choose wisely
U-Turns are a quick way to score points and light an Extra Ball. Once an orbit is shot once, the light in front of the orbit will turn red to indicate that it will begin the U-Turn sequence. Make U-Turns without making any other shots to score additional points. 25 U-Turns light an Extra Ball. There’s also a champion score for most U-Turns collected in a game.
Players can earn big points and potentially even KNIGHT letters early on by completing WAR Hurry-Ups. Completing the top lanes will increase the bonus multiplier and light all three of the center shots for a hurry up. The flail has to be hit in order to shoot the ramp (although if you’re really lucky, you can make it in one shot!) and on subsequent attempts, the shield must be hit once to collect its hurry up. Collecting all three awards will light the Black Knight target to complete the round and score a KNIGHT letter. More lane completions will be required to begin the hurry-up on subsequent attempts.
Triple Knights Challenge
Hit lock standup to light a lock at the shield lane. Collect the Lock to re-light the target for the next Lock. 3 locks starts this 3-ball Multiball round. Triple Knights Challenge works in two phases:
During Phase 1, the three Knights challenge you! Defeat these skeletal knights by shooting the left spinner lane, ramp, and Shield lane. Both the Ramp and Shield will be in their normal “open” configuration.
After completing these 3 shots, the Ramp will be lit for a hurry-up that will start Phase 2. The Knight’s flail will be spinning rapidly, and can be stopped temporarily by making partial progress on the ramp/hitting the flail ball. Shooting this shot awards the hurry-up value (starts at 2 million, increasing by 1 million for subsequent playthroughs) and sets the Jackpot value for phase 2.
During Phase 2, it’s time to take all the money! All shots will be lit for Jackpots based on the value you collected at the end of phase 1. Complete all of the shots to light the Ramp for a Super Jackpot, worth 3x the value of the Jackpot and a KNIGHT letter. Similar to the end of Phase 1, the Phase 2 completion will require a pass-through on the flail, which is only temporarily stopped on a hit. The Multiball will return to Phase 1 (but with boosted scoring) after this Super Jackpot is collected.
Collecting enough spins at the left spinner during Triple Knights Challenge will light the Add-A-Ball on the left spinner lane, which is then collected by a subsequent shot.
For each subsequent Multiball, the number of target hits to light a lock increases by 1.
The Sword of Rage & Power
The sword meter on the right side of the display is filled via right drop target hits and miscellaneous switch hits. Individual targets give a small bump (1%) while, a bank completion gives a decent bump (around 20%). Once the sword is filled, the POWER target will light on the knight. Starting the POWER feature when lit during a mode will begin 2x Scoring for the mode, along with modifying the mode to make it easier to complete. Note that the Sword CANNOT be used on the Black Knight!
KNIGHT Letters & Wizard Modes
KNIGHT letters are spotted by sufficient mode progression, completing WAR Hurry-Ups (1 letter per completed hurry-up sequence), and collecting the super jackpot during phase 2 of Triple Knights Challenge (1 letter per Super). By default, “K” and “N” are lit at the start of the game, meaning four letters will complete the word.
Two high-scoring modes are accessible by completing KNIGHT and then shooting the left spinner lane.
KNIGHT Multiball: It’s a throwback to the original Black Knight, complete with the old score display, original music, and, most importantly, multiplied scoring during Multiball. During this Multiball, the playfield values are multiplied by the number of active balls, but no progression can be made towards any other feature. Jackpots are lit on various shots throughout the playfield, and are re-lit when a set of Jackpots are complete. These Jackpots aren’t too worthwhile; instead, you should spend this Multiball on going for the right spinner and Black Knight target to start and cash in as many Super Modes as possible. Super Spins is a very high scoring mode in this regard and can easily result in ridiculous payoff values during this Multiball thanks to the multipliers.
The King’s Ransom: Completing KNIGHT for the second time in one game will begin The King’s Ransom, a throwback to the first ever wizard mode in pinball (from Black Knight 2000). This is a minute-long 3-ball multiball with an unlimited ball saver for its duration. At the beginning of the mode, 5 bonus multipliers will be added to the total and the Extra Ball will light. Jackpots can be collected by shooting the Flail, either orbit, or by completing the WAR lanes.
By completing RAGE lanes, the Mystery will be lit at the (raised) shield. Mystery can award the following things:
- 250k/750k/1.5m/2.5m Points
- Hold Bonus (score only)
- Light Lock (advance lock progression by 1 target hit, not a true “light lock.” Will award the lock immediately if 1 hit away from lighting)
- Spot WAR lanes (progression towards WAR hurryups + 1 bonus X)
- Add Bonus X (just 1 bonus X)
- Add KNIGHT Letter
- Light Super (Qualifies a Super Feature at the Knight target)
- Advance Save (Advances left ball save progression by 1 target set)
- Light Magna Save
- Light Extra Ball
End of Ball Bonus
End of Ball Bonus is split into 3 categories:
- Base Bonus - Switches 'n stuff.
- Super Modes - 25k per Super Mode played during the ball.
- Combos - (value) per Combo scored during the ball (at either orbit). Replaced with U-Turns?
Bonus can be held via Mystery award, and Bonus X can be advanced by Mystery award or WAR lanes.
Ball Saves & Extra Balls
- Ball Save: Completing the two “Add Time” targets enough times will qualify the left outlane for a virtual ball save. The amount of target hits required for this ball save increases every time it is used.
- Magna-Save: Returning from Black Knight 2000 is a Magna-Save feature above the right inlane. Press the action button when the ball is about to drain down the right outlane to save it using a magnet. After the Magna-Save is used, complete the drop targets to relight it. Don’t waste your Magna-Save at the end of a ball, it isn’t Iron Bank or a VIP Pass.
- Extra Balls: Three extra balls can be lit through standard methods in the game, and are collected at the saucer behind the shield. Completing Lightning Wheel modes (1 mode by default) will light the right saucer for Extra Ball. Extra Ball can also be lit as an award off of Mystery, by collecting 25 U-Turns (by default), or by starting The King’s Ransom.
- Stacking modes with Triple Knights Challenge can be lucrative, especially for Black Castle!
- Chase down KNIGHT letters - the Knight Multiball can be EXTREMELY valuable with Super Modes running.
- Learn to post catch on the right to make the Lock Target easier to hit.
- Try to keep both ball saves lit at all times, or at least the Magna Save. Don’t be afraid to hit the button to use the Magna Save!