• Lead Designer: John Borg
  • Code/Rules: Lonnie Ropp
  • Lead Mechanical Engineer:
  • Artwork: “Dirty Donny” Gillies
  • Computer Graphics Art Director:
  • Lead Sound Designer: Jerry Thompson
  • Release Date: January 2017
  • Code Rev: 1.11.0
    • Feel free to contribute. Update the Code Rev, if applicable.

Aerosmith was the first Stern Pinball release designed with the new LCD feature in mind (though Batman '66 was the first to be produced). Designed by John Borg, this Lonnie Ropp-coded game is a relatively standard “shooting gallery” affair featuring several songs that determine the shots lit on the playfield, and two multiball modes. Jacky, the jester behind the toybox, constantly throws insults your way as you play.

Rules Overview:

• Choose a song at the start of the ball. Each song lights different sets of shots - complete the flower on the display by shooting enough shots to win the song and start a unique super feature. Left eject selects a song if time runs out or it has been completed.
  • Shoot the toybox then shoot the lock saucer for Toybox Multiball. Press the action button to abort multiball and potentially lock up to 6 balls when indicated.
  • Shoot the orbits to light locks at the elevator eject. Collect 3 elevator locks for Elevator Multiball. Alternate between lit jackpots at the major shots and the elevator.
  • Complete AEROSMITH to light shot multipliers and mystery.

Layout:

Premium/LE:

Pro:

Skill Shots:

• Plunge the ball lightly into the lock saucer to score a Hidden Skill Shot, worth 500k points (+500k per skill shot) and +1 Smart Missile.
  • Hold the left flipper and short plunge so the ball falls to the right flipper. The three shots that can be made from the right flipper will light - shoot the lit shot to score a Super Skill Shot worth 1M points (+1M per skill shot) and +2 Smart Missiles.

Songs:

A song can be selected at the start of each ball using the flippers. Each song is associated with a 60-second timed mode where certain shots are lit to make progress, shown on the flower on the display. Making any lit shot during a mode lights Crank it Up at the left scoop to boost mode scoring and generally make the mode easier to win. Once a song has been selected, if you drain while time is still remaining, you will be locked into that song until you complete it or change it. After the mode either times out or you finish it, shoot the scoop while the record insert is flashing to choose your next mode; this is always available if a song is over during single-ball play.

Each lit shot during songs scores coins. These are used to determine the values of the super features that light after completing the mode, and reset once the ball drains. Making combo shots nets you more coins, and thus, more points. Super features remain active until the required amount of shots have been completed.

Lit shots during any song mode can be spotted by pressing the action button to use a smart missile. These prioritize the shots furthest to the left of the playfield.

The song modes are, from top left to bottom right:

• Rats in the Cellar: 8 shots. One shot on the left is lit, then one shot on the right, then two on the left, then two on the right, etc up to a max of 3. Crank it Up adds +1 shot to the selection. Super spinner lights after finishing the mode for 100 spins.
  • Dude Looks Like A Lady: 10 shots. Two shots are lit, the one to the left moves over to the right when a shot is made. Crank it Up lights the three inlanes and left scoop to advance the mode. Super lanes lights after finishing the mode for 10 inlanes.
  • Back in the Saddle: 8 shots. Right spinner is lit, followed by a random shot that changes with bumper hits. Crank it Up just raises bumper scoring. Super pops lights after finishing the mode for 100 bumper hits.
  • Sweet Emotion: 12 shots. The four ejects and saucers are lit - shoot them from left to right for more points. Then, all major shots light - complete them to win. Crank it Up lights all major shots immediately. Super scoring lights after finishing the mode - all switches score big points for 60 seconds.
  • Walk This Way: 10 shots. The two ramps are lit while the orbits are lit solid - loop both ramps for big combo points or shoot both orbits to relight them. Crank it Up lights all shots to advance the mode. Super ramps lights after finishing the mode for 10 ramp shots.
  • Same Old Song & Dance: 10 shots. One random shot is lit at a time. Crank it Up makes this much easier by lighting the AEROSMITH targets to advance through the mode. Winning the mode lights a shot multiplier and lights super targets for 20 target hits.
  • Last Child: 8 shots. Both orbits are lit while the ramps are lit solid - shoot the orbits or shoot both ramps to relight them. Crank it Up lights all shots to advance the mode. Super loops lights after finishing the mode for 10 loop shots.

Starting three songs during a game lights the extra ball. Qualifying every song and playing both multiball modes qualifies Medley Multiball; while completing them all qualifies Final Tour.

Main Multiballs:

Toybox Multiball:

Shoot the toybox to light lock at the lock saucer; you can light up to 6 locks at a time prior to collecting any of them, and subsequent Toybox Multiballs require one more toybox hit to light each lock. Pressing the action button after at least 3 balls have been locked aborts the multiball - this can be very helpful as 6-ball Toybox Multiball has 2x base jackpot values. If the lock saucer fails to eject the ball into the toybox, it will try to reload it; and if balls were already locked there, the ball will hit Jacky in the face instead!

At the start of Toybox Multiball, the locked balls come pouring out of the toybox and your goal is to make all 8 shots twice. Base jackpot value is 500K + 50k per jackpot, and the 8th jackpot is a super jackpot. After scoring two super jackpots, roving shot is lit for double jackpot, followed by a double super jackpot at the lock saucer to complete the multiball and reset the jackpot sequence.

Shooting the toybox during Toybox Multiball lights the lock saucer to re-lock up to 2 balls back in the toybox. Lock 1 ball for 20 seconds of 2x scoring, and 2 balls for 3x scoring. This can be done up to three times per Toybox Multiball.

If smart missiles are active, they will spot lit jackpot shots if a song shot is also lit there. Mystery will award add-a-ball the first time it is collected during multiball.

Elevator Multiball:

Shoot both orbits (and / or the drop target on Prem / LE) to light elevator locks; subsequent Elevator Multiball attempts require multiple shots to both orbits to light each lock. Collecting 3 elevator locks starts Elevator Multiball. During the multiball, all major shots are lit. Shoot one and now only the Elevator scoop will be lit for jackpot (1st floor, 2nd floor, etc.). You must repeat this sequence for all major shots, which will then lite Super Jackpot at the Elevator shot. The super jackpot base value is a percentage of the sum total of all jackpots collected - 100% for a perfect attempt, 75% for 2 attempts, or 50% for 3 or more. Collect the super jackpot to complete the multiball.

There is progress memory saved between Elevator Multiball attempts. Mystery will award add-a-ball the first time it is collected during multiball.

Other Scoring:

Smart Missiles:

Smart Missiles can be qualified at the action button by making skill shots or from random mystery awards. Smart missiles spot lit shots during songs and prioritize the shots on the left side of the playfield; they also collect whatever else is lit at the shot that was spotted.

Shot Multipliers:

Complete the AEROSMITH targets to qualify the “X” inserts at all major shots. The next major shot you make with a flashing “X” insert scores double for the remainder of the ball, and qualifying every “X” insert on a single ball enables a roving “X” insert for 3x.

AEROSMITH Mystery:

Complete the AEROSMITH targets to light mystery at the left eject. Awards include:

2x Playfield Targets (Prem / LE Exclusive):

Five targets are located behind the upper playfield flipper on Prem / LE models of the game. Complete all five of the targets with backhanded shots, then shoot the loop exit out of the upper playfield to start 2x scoring for 60 seconds. This can also be started as a mystery award on the Pro model.

VIP Pass:

VIP Pass ball save is lit at the right outlane by completing the two targets flanking the toybox enough times. If the targets are completed when the ball save is lit, the value of the VIP Pass will increase.

Dead Shot Jackys:

During songs, every shot that isn’t currently lit to score points adds a Dead Shot Jacky, which can be seen at the left of the display. On default settings, scoring 5 Dead Shot Jackys along with other variable numbers lights extra ball at the left eject.

Extra Balls:

Extra balls can be lit at the left eject by:

End-of-Ball Bonus:

End-of-ball bonus is relatively small, determined by the types of shots that were made on the preceding ball. Bonus X is increased up to 10x by completing the three “DUDE” inlanes, which cycle with the flippers.

Wizard Modes:

Medley Multiball:

Medley Multiball is a mini-wizard mode qualified by scoring at least 1 award in all songs. Shooting the left saucer will begin the mode. Before the mode starts, you will be awarded a 10 million point bonus (+10M) for every song you’ve completed before starting Medley Multiball. For instance, if you’ve completed 2 songs, then you’ll get 10 + 20M for a total of 30M. Completing all songs before starting the mode will score a 200 million “Perfect Bonus” and qualify Final Tour after the mode ends.

This is a stage-type add-a-ball MB requiring you to complete certain shots corresponding to each song, but only for the songs that you did not complete during regular mode play. When you complete a stage, you immediately move onto the next stage (song) and one ball is added to the fun with a short ball saver. The order of the stages are determined by the order of the songs you played. A listing of the tasks required for each song is below. Note that if a song is “completed” during Medley Multiball, it will be considered “completed” for good. Even after you drain down to single-ball play, there’s a generous grace period to complete the shots needed to get to the next stage.

• Rats in the Cellar - Make 25 spinner spins.
  • Last Child - Make both orbit shots.
  • Walk This Way - Make 4 shots to any of the orbits and ramps .
  • Dude Looks Like A Lady - Shoot the left scoop and complete the three “DUDE” inlanes.
  • Same Old Song and Dance - Complete all 9 Aerosmith targets. Unlit targets that are close to flashing ones will spot the target regardless.
  • Back in the Saddle - Make 25 pop bumper hits.
  • Sweet Emotion - Complete 6 major shots (everything except the orbits).
  • Toys in the Attic - Shoot the Toybox 6 times. The progress will be shown on the inserts in front of the Toybox.
  • Love in an Elevator - Shoot the Elevator 3 times.

Completing all nine songs during Medley Multiball will qualify the left scoop to score the Medley Multiball Super Jackpot, determined by ???. Collecting the Super Jackpot will end the mode, drain all balls in play, and return you to single ball play (with Final Tour ready.)

Final Tour:

Final Tour is a giant frenzy qualified by completing all 9 songs, whether it be during Medley Multiball or normal play. The goal of Final Tour is to advance through 24 Cities by completing sets of 8 shots. The first eight shots are worth 10 million, the second eight shots are worth 20 million, and the third eight shots are worth 30 million. Completing all 24 shots will qualify the left scoop for the Final Tour Super Jackpot of 100 million, which will end the mode when it’s collected and return you to single ball play to do it all again. Note that all shots in this mode ARE multiplied by all applicable multipliers, so this mode can be huge if you play it out well.

10 Likes

Thanks for providing this info, Tim.

Questions:

1. Can you describe the mini-wizard mode? (How to start it, how to play it, how relatively valuable it is, etc.)

2. Do you need to start Toys in the Attic to qualify the mini-wizard mode?

3. “completing all the yellow stand-up targets lights the shot multipler on the next shot for the rest of the ball.” Does the multiplier go away after you use it once?

4. Any thoughts on useful starting songs or songs to bring into a multiball?

1 Like
  1. No, sorry :smiley:

2. Yes… so I should perhaps add that. All songs in the inserts are part of the “set list” and Toys in the Attic as well as Love in an Elevator are both part of that.

3. It stays for the whole ball.

4. I don’t know the full progression of the modes yet… and I am confused as to why you can complete Rats with so many fewer shots than say Sweet Emotion. Sweet Emotion lights the most shots and gives a decent number of points so I’d be inclined to take that one but don’t have enough knowledge to say for sure.

1 Like
  1. No problem.

2–4. Interesting.

Are there any other skill shots or super skill shots besides the sneaky lock?

Sounds like you have to qualify each toybox lock individually, other than the skill shot ones that you can get for free). True?

1 Like

It’s just the sneaky lock as far as I can tell… basically the same as the Kiss plunge with that little sneak-in.

I wasn’t able to hit the skill shot often enough on the NIB plunger to tell you that.

Also I don’t know how to make this post edit-able by everyone. @mods !!!1

1 Like

Should be wiki-fied now.

2 Likes

This makes me think of Detroit Rock City on Kiss, where all the shots are lit but you have to complete each one twice to finish the mode. When I first started playing Kiss I would always choose that song because of all the shot options, but it ends up taking the longest to complete, imo. So maybe this is similar? (Disclaimer: have not seen an Aerosmith on location.) I was hoping someone would make this wiki before Nationals/Womens, so thanks @timballs!

2 Likes

You qualify it by starting all of the inserts on the bottom (this includes the two multiballs). You start it at the scoop on the left. You can also start it while your last mode is running, which is nice. Don’t remember if the value was high, I’ve only seen it twice. Pretty much just felt like another ol’ multiball.

2 Likes

I haven’t played one yet, but I saw this guy playing one in Louisville! :skull:

3 Likes

Played it yesterday. I’ll add a lot more detail and additions to the initial info from @timballs

• Super Modes
  • Love in an Elevator MB rules
  • Add-a-ball
  • Toys 2x scoring
  • Medley mini-wizard mode (I hid the details so people that don’t want to read this prior to playing it themselves can avoid spoiling it)
  • Commentary
2 Likes

[quote=“stevevt, post:2, topic:2499”]
Can you describe the mini-wizard mode? (How to start it, how to play it, how relatively valuable it is, etc.)[/quote]

Yes. Done. It seemed valuable. I don’t want to describe it more in a general post so it doesn’t spoil it for others.

They all seemed useful, but obviously, if there is a song that has mode shots that overlap with known MB shots, then those would be preferable.

1 Like

you can lock an additional ball for 3x scoring while toy box mb (not sure for 4x etc.)

1 Like

I encountered what seemed to be a bug last night. Was playing a 3 ball MB, I got a ball in the left scoop and lock scoop and it allowed me to play a one ball MB. At first I thought it was a feature, but when I drained that ball, the game paused until it did a ball search and kicked those other 2 balls out.

1 Like

Feature! :wink:

In all seriousness, I did notice that each multiball’s add-a-ball feature animation/delay was MUCH longer than other recent Sterns. It did provide the ability to play a long time with my remaining single ball, but in this add-a-ball case, I knew it wasn’t a bug because the ball save flasher was active.

1 Like

Extra ball is achieved by starting 3 modes. The other way to get an extra ball is by shooting unlit shots. If you look on the screen there’s a stone looking border. On the left side of the border you will see a Jacky face with a number. That number goes down when you hit different unlit shots. On the right you have coin and notes count.

3 Likes

I noticed the coins showing up on the screen. Do the coins and notes do anything yet in terms of points or achievement?

1 Like

You earn coins based upon how well you do on a mode. Hitting shots in combo are worth more coins. Crank it up is like away team as the mode gets harder but the shots become worth more and double the coins. The more coins you earn the more valuable the super modes are.

6 Likes

Stern employee posting to a forum . . . [mindblown] :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Sounds like an awesome feature - I wonder how heavily tuned the Coins are to reward good play.

Is this the part where we get the pitchforks out? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are some tips…

Lock 4 balls in the toybox before starting Elevator multiball. This will result in a 6 ball Elevator multiball which is very handy for spelling AEROSMITH to light the shot multipliers.

Try to save Walk This Way for when you have the center or left ramp multiplied. During WTW shoot CIU to start the ramp mode. If you can combo the ramps the shots will be worth 2x for the combo plus 2x the coins (plus any playfield or shot multiplier). All of this will make the super ramps mode very lucrative.

13 Likes