WPPR v5.8 sneak peek

I honestly haven’t given this a ton of thought yet, but I imagine if we are looking into digging our heels into something like this, we’ll find a way to fuck the events that are knowingly trying to speed things up on the tail end of events in order to maintain whatever level of TGP they are trying to stretch and reach for.

I would consider switching games to be Pre-1985 Games after a certain round, or after a certain point in time in the evening to be something that would trigger ‘whatever this is’ if it ever comes to pass.

There is no target amount of time that earning 1 TGP should take. The only target we have is that TGP is time agnostic based on the format choice, knowing that game choice and game setup has just as big of an impact of time, if not more.

Most places already have that rule in place. “After X time, it will switch to classics only”. So we know about it, this is more of a changing the current farms meta.

As a player, Id like my skills to be tested across all eras and sometimes that means playing these long games. Which comes back down to the initial argument of “TD time management”. Can we start events earlier? What games shouldn’t be in from the beginning?

I understand its hard for a random place with no access to keys to make these changes which is why I brought up this argument to see what everyone’s views are on it. It puts a lot on the TD which already is a thankless job.

That I dont mind. One or two games sure. Makes sense. But the everything switch is a tad much. Im not trying to do a playoff in Putt-Putt for the PGA championship.

1 Like

Why not just go the whole hog and say only Stern games earn WPPR pts?

:roll_eyes:

May I suggest this 2010 machine

Besides Stern, we’re super proud to have Chicago Gaming Company, Jersey Jack Pinball and Spooky Pinball as current IFPA sponsors. Would you be okay including these other manufacturers?

Ohhhhh . . . I’m just realizing your comment may have been a joke . . .

2 Likes

Why not offer something constructive? On the off chance you’re serious, that’s not what he’s getting at. The current norm of changing to all classics should be addressed and worked around. Whatever that solution may be.

1 Like

But what about the IF NEEDED EXTREME OVERTIME speed ups??

I moved to newer games one round, and older games the next after feedback that some players were disappointed that their matchplay qualifying games ended up being older games the whole time.

I’m definitely gonna pull back on the urge to deactivate games that are playing too long and default to maybe making the ones that risk playing long to being harder than I typically make them.

I am curious though. For the ones that do not like the switch to older games at a certain point, would it be different if they all were set to 5 ball or much easier than they typically play?

2 Likes

Well then things like Match Play Events go down or slows down that can delay an event by a lot.

Or other things like an new game has an software bug that makes it reboot mid game + loses all scores (new sterns after rebooting don’t save the scores of the game at times) so your longer game needs to start over.

I don’t commonly see this happen, so a slow down out of your control 1% of the time is factored in to any tourney I attend. Things happen like this so it wouldn’t bother me.

Non serious? Have your players take a picture of the game after every ball. I’m not saying I know someone that does this :wink:

Reality is same situation, that’s a rare thing and as a TD I wouldn’t run newer code/software/games unless I tested them before hand. Yet again putting a lot on a TD, but I would hope someone would test. But we can’t test everything and that’s another rare out of your control scenario.

No it would still make me dislike it. I guess I’m pushing the whole Main and Classics are different argument. I don’t mind a mix, but once it’s 100% or even a heavily 75% classic event it should be considered as such.

2 Likes

I always thought main and classics was silly. When I first started I assumed every event was an even mix of all types of games. Turns out at that time, pinburgh was really it.

A mix I’m ok with too. It’s the 100% classics after X time is only that way because it’s max tgp and the most efficient time wise. I assume most places wouldn’t do this if time wasn’t the issue or maxing tgp was the issue.

2 Likes

Just tag me next time :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Rather than having an arbitrary switch off time to all classics, I’d rather have multi-day “farm” events be structured such that match play (or other guaranteed play time) events are the earlier events of the day, then have the later tournaments be a knockout or some other “reducing the field” format. If you crap the bed in that tournament, your award is you get to sleep earlier, and if you’re doing well in spite of needing your rest, well, that’s just part of the fun.

They already do that haha

3 Likes

Yes that’s what already happens. That’s what we are trying to fix. You play from 9am(8am doors open for practice) until 2am everyday for 3 days even with the classics only switch at 10pm. Morning is a target matchplay or X amount of round. 5pm on is a knockout. Then after X time at night the switch is flipped to try to make it faster.

I think instead of making complicated rules to not add a classics at the end of playoffs or forcing TD’s to declare machines. Voice opinion that the format sucks and don’t show up again until the format is changed. That is how things will change. Too many TD’s are trying to get maximize TGP in the shortest amount of time and forgetting about putting a quality tournament out there. Many find the balance through either harder setups or well organized events that don’t waste time, those are the ones I choose to support.

4 Likes

I’ve never played a comp when classics have been switched in to a comp to speed things up, so certainly wouldn’t consider it the norm - if that’s how it is done in US, there’s clearly a problem with the format and points whoring.

Even if the games are switched I see no issues whatsoever, and cannot see a reason for the IFPA to have to step in and penalise the comp pts.
Firstly, it is saying that classics (or more accurately short playing games) are not as important as modern games.
Secondly, it will not change anything, just that longer playing machines will suddenly develop faults that means they can’t be played. Who can prove that they haven’t.

If you don’t like the way a TD runs their comp, simply don’t attend future comps they run, simples.

1 Like