WPPR v5.8 sneak peek

Please stop suggesting changes that are already in the pipeline :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Damn. That’s good: Simple. Elegant. Makes sense.

I can’t remember if I saw a forum post about this so forgive me if I did and please show me where it’s at. How does everyone feel about after X time it’s classics only? As much as I love classics, I’m a bit burnt out by it. For logistics, I always enjoyed main and classic events as separate(meaning classics only not a mix of years, I think that’s fair game when its a mix). From a competitor/competitive point of view is that truly a fair indicator of skill when it goes to that classics only? I feel like it’s become too much of the norm just to maximize points.

4 Likes

Hahaha Josh was just talking about capping TGP the moment any arenas are removed that aren’t removed due to malfunctions

2 Likes

1000000% agree

Follow that up with a ding on TGP for tossing powerballs in games that shouldn’t have them :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I agree - it’s not ideal and I think its lame when an event does that. Plan better for time I say. And yeah totally prefer that if an event has a classics tournament, in addition to a main/modern/open, that the classics games stay in the classics event.

Lol it is a super pet peeve of mine when events do this.

Rather than run a 4 strike that turns into the shortest playing games the last 4 rounds … how about running a 3 strike which is likely a better choice for the time constraints the event has?

The response always seems to be, “we won’t grade out to 100% TGP if we do that.”

This change would take that part of the decision making process off the table. Events would either have to continue with the games available, stop earning “cheap TGP”, or remove the longest playing games from being in the tournament at all.

If we did move forward with a change like and events wanted to do all Classics from the start, I feel like at least players know what they’re getting into from jump.

We’ll see if something like this bites me in the wrong place between now and the end of the year. No promises I don’t rage quit this change into the system :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just playing Devil’s Advocate. Late into the tournament GOT and AC/DC are playing the longest. If this rule was in place, instead of removing those two from the line-up I would just remove the outlane rubbers and turn off ball saves. Now they’re playing much shorter than an EM on 5-ball.

Why would your ball savers be on to begin with?? :slightly_smiling_face:

I would say that’s a better version than pulling them entirely.

4 Likes

What if you are ahead of schedule, so you decide to add LOTR into the arenas for the last few rounds?

Ha ha. Even with my user name, that’s not happening. LOL

Sucks to start off in a modern/classic alternating round strikes and do great for the first 5-6 rounds then have it switched to all classics, really kills the advantage of the strike buffer you’ve built up.

That’s where I’m at. I know the Meta will change and this just happens to be a product of the environment.

I don’t mind a few or like one game in a bank of 3 games. But this consistent after X time classics only I am about over. I’ll take alternating rounds that’s cool with me too. Not this flip the kill switch we have to get this done ASAP so we can sleep and do it again tomorrow.

I feel like after going to WI 4 day tournament then to Delaware 4 day tournament then to IN(or WI again) 4 day tournament is a lot.(This isn’t a shot to D82, DPC or WW, they all run their events great and I really appreciate the work they do) So if we couldn’t flip that classics only switch what would they change it too? A full day Pinburgh style? Something else? Who knows.

I’m a known Classics advocate, but I Strongly agree that switching to “all Classics after time X” is lame and just for WPPRS rather than for tournament integrity. A mixed event should stay mixed end to end. If that means it doesn’t rate out to 100% because it ran out of time, tough. Too many places are playing WPPR grab rather than having events that stand on their own as worthy of attendance. I liked it better when most good value events were at shows or specially organized things like IFPA, EPC or the Swedish Open.

6 Likes

Which is a part of being a TD, things like this should already be in place with games. I don’t care, take ball save out, make it harder, things we should already do and people expect especially in these events that sell out instantly. It’s not being catered to the casuals(which I know is a balance most shows try to achieve and I understand) Allentown pulled it off mad decent for their first time with that limited card entry.

I’m not saying I hope you rage quit but I will be watching when you go play in the next event. :slight_smile:

some people may still do an extreme over time think. I say BAN makeing things one ball only.
Now is it ok to quick games for tie barkers?

Duly noted. For now we will continue to offer 1-ball games at 1/3rd TGP.

Tie-breakers are not meaningful towards TGP, so TD’s are welcome to do a full game, one ball, rock/paper/scissors, Russian roulette, etc. at their discretion.

So if it were done over again, then no TGP for INDISC The Open 2020 finals because Rescue 911 was pulled after qualifying? :wink:

Personally, I don’t mind that a game here or there gets pulled for unintentionally playing too long, and no easy/quick fix to remedy it. I just don’t like the “all moderns” getting pulled. Or “all tiebreaks are now going to be on Slick Chick” type of mid-tourney change.

I’m sure Karl would have found an elegant way for Rescue 911 to have somehow “broken” overnight :slight_smile:

1 Like

The complaints and comments here seem to revolve around “cheap TGP”, or at least a shift in philosophy mid-event.

Is there a target amount of time that earning 1 TGP should be taking?

What if the rules were clear-up front in the IFPA listing about “Rounds 1-6 will be on a mix of machines, but Rounds 7 and later will be on Pre-1985 Games”?

I’ll also add that 4-Strike keeps more players in for longer, giving a greater majority of individuals a longer tournament experience. I can see why TDs will trade that off with faster-playing games in later rounds (and where the best players are the ones remaining).

At the end of the day, the goal-seeking of 100% is always a huge incentive for organizers (and tournament seekers). I only imagine it getting worse once the cap is 150%.

As a TD, I like the round organization to be consistent within eras if possible. If I can block out Fast Games and Slow Games together for a MatchPlay or a Strikes Event, logistically it allows us to optimize on time. I don’t want to be stuck for 90 minutes because the top group happened to draw Stern POTC with a poorly-set tilt bob while everyone else played EMs.

And I also worry about locations where I don’t have access to the machines. It’s much simpler to make machine groupings in MatchPlay.events than it is for me to make physical modifications to machines that I may or may not have control over.

I can see wanting to have a prescriptive level of control of machine configuration on Majors or Certified Events. I imagine that if this were to be applied to all tournaments, you’re going to need a whole army of event verifiers AND there’s a large amount of extra “paperwork” that TDs are going to need to do to comply with submissions.

2 Likes