Twitch/livestream setups.

Could ideally do with two more!

17 pinball machines currently 11 stern LCDs 2 JJP, 3 CGC and 1 spooky (with matrix 14)
5 ceiling mounted playfield cameras
1 PTZ roaming camera
3 mobile rig inputs

I’ve used a matrix for CGC and TNA games so that buys me three ports so I’ve got one spare and I could potentially use Scorbit overlay for the score on my numeric and DMD games saving a mobile rig input.

Neil.

Just stumbled onto a couple audio streaming things that might be useful for folks. I saw a post on a tech feed about jamrtc which lead me to looking into a few options that have popped up for musicians to play together with ultra low latency. I thought this might be useful for those folks that might want to do remote commentary or something.
https://jamulus.io
https://jacktrip.org

2 Likes

Wow Neil, that P2000 set you back a few coins. They’re awesome. I have a mini version of the same build, P400 + Magewell, it works insanely well. What CPU did you use and what motherboard is that?

I’ve chatted with a few people about this individually, but figured I’d open it up. The discussion of microphones. Right now operating a single standard USB condenser mic (Blue snowball) although was considering an AT2020 as I really love Audio-Technica products.

Anyways, these condenser mics are great at isolating your vocals, but not so much the game audio/callouts. Many of the streams I listen to, the streamer’s audio is excellent but the game audio is muted to the point that it’s inaudible. My guess is this is due to using a single condenser mic that’s doing its job.

In a home environment with a modern game, you could use Pinnovators or another solution (headphone jack on a JJP) to capture the game’s audio directly. But how about an older solid state or not having this option if you took your rig elsewhere?

I thought about having a separate microphone pointed at the back panel speaker to capture the game’s audio, but I’m not sure how Windows would handle 2 separate USB mics. Perhaps I’m overthinking this and a single mic is good enough?

Thoughts on the whole audio aspect of streaming?

This video is of me using a snowball at the game speakers and a wireless lapel mic on me.

I do this method on all games because it’s easier and I have games from EMs all the way up to modern sterns and this method is the best for my situation.

1 Like

I prefer using the Stern headphone jack, turning down the cabinet/backbox speakers, and setting the headphone jack to maximum. I put that into my PC’s line in and my game audio comes in nice and clear. I listen to the game audio through the headphone monitors.

1 Like

I’ve moved to a headset mic from shure that’s wireless although wired versions are available (I did this after watching Karl’s and Ray’s streams). And I take the audio from headphone socket or pinnovators device.

Take them all into a GoXLR which makes mixing and routing the audio a breeze (and have input from discord or other chat and from youtube/music). I bought the full goxlr as I needed power for the mic initially but since moving to wireless no more - the mini will be fine unless you need XLR power.

Added this:

For events I have a shotgun (?) mic on the rig that I pipe through one of the cameras mic port and carry via the wireless HDMI port.

For the game sound I’m going to do the same but with the other camera; at the moment I have a wireless solution which works reasonably well but is another power source to manage and I need to experiment with how I capture that sound when at home and pipe it into GOXLR so I can mix and route it properly.

I like using an omni pattern condenser mic since it picks up everything. Or even a hyper-cardiod if you turn up the game volume.

Great responses!

I thought about running a second condenser w a jack for my PF cam’s mic port – except it appears that my lovely Sony Handicam HDR CX405 has no mic port. That would explain, in part, why it was such an excellent price considering its great quality and versatility.

Neil, your investment into this is far greater than I plan on doing at this point. It’s impressive! Had to pick up a new laptop the other day, so the budget has changed, son of Flynn!

-E

1 Like

I do the same. I have an audiotechnica at897. Works pretty well at cutting down the ambient noise.

yeah its mostly for convenience, running a tournament, streaming and playing at the same time means I want the streaming part to be easy :smiley:

Is that a phantom power XLR mic, are you pumping that through a camera?

It has an internal battery. Plug it into camera mic input, so audio gets routed through hdmi.

1 Like

I compose my OBS scenes in 4K these days. I finally got around to do an actual test recording and uploaded to YouTube. It took half a day for YouTube to process it. I saw Raymond posted a 4K video, anyone else ventured here? The reason I do this is that want to be able to use a local 4K display for local audiences (if we ever get back to playing pinball together again…).

1 Like

I have a Logitech C922 for the display and a C920 for the player cam.

Ive adjusted my settings in OBS and they seem to not save after a shutdown, anyone have some insight into how to make the settings save properly? FYI, I’m using Windows 10.

Id prefer to be able to do the adjustments in OBS but if there’s software that can properly manage the settings, I’m fine with having to open that up first and then OBS.

Not possible. One of the pain points of using web cams.

I’ve uploaded a few:

I’ve got all my streams locally recorded in 4K but I’ve not done much with them.

on the display size its only worth doing in my view if your local 4K display is >60" you can fit the playfield in at full rotated 1080p but unless you have a decent sized screen IMO it doesn’t look that different on a small screen from a distance but thats my eyeballs others might be different :smiley:

the other downside is some browsers YouTube won’t give you a 4K option.

Neil.

I’m thinking of making a semi-mobile streaming rig, which doesn’t rely on anything wireless for the capture side. Maybe I’m crazy, but the idea is a rig with the following things mounted on it:

3-4 * proper cameras with clean HDMI out (pf, display, player, optional pf detail or environment)
1-2 * microphones
1 * laptop
1 * external PCIe enclosure with a 4x HDMI capture card

This way all cabling will be kept short and local, and I would have easy access to the streaming computer for chat and fiddling. I would only need to run a single power cable to the rig, and things will still keep running if the cable is unplugged for a while, e.g. when moving the rig around. Optionally I’d need to run a network cable if the wi-fi isn’t good enough.

My main question: Have anyone tried mounting a laptop to an aluminum profile based rig? Maybe by combining a simple VESA mount with a VESA laptop tray? I’m hoping this should be stable enough if the arm is kept short. Not sure if these two would work due to limited clearance, but it would be at least be rigid and compact:

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adjustable-Rotating-Bracket-Monitor/dp/B001L4AJDW
and
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086336Z6C/

Any good or bad experiences out there I could learn from? :slight_smile:

It should work fine unless you loose power see below - and with Wi-fi you should be able to stream ok with it.

I have been using a pci thunderbolt enclosure with magewell 4 port card for a while and have just moved away from that setup recently for my shed but going to use the enclosure for location streaming.

I’ve not see any external PCI enclosures that don’t need a power supply though - have you? So when you lose power you will lose the capture card…

Neil.

I haven’t, but I was going to try with a laptop power bank with a 12V output and pass-through charging. There are a few unknowns there, though. For example it looks like some of them require some manual action each time you want to activate pass-through, in which case a short time of outage is most likely unavoidable.