Twitch/livestream setups.

This is a good tip and helpful. Stinks this doesn’t work with wireless transmitters though. And $800 plus for the mag well one is just too much for me to get my moneys worth outta it. I’m sure I’ll convince myself to get it eventually, but not at the moment. Haha

You sure? I’m testing this right now as we speak with the Monoprice ones without issue. (I’ll post a quick and dirty video shortly)

On the Nyrus (you have to use a splitter on the receiving end.)

Pretty sure. I’m trying two mono prices with one nyrus transmitter. Best I could get is one mono price to show up but only at 720p, the nyrus showed up as 1080p, in the Blackmagic software, but neither would show up in OBS. The sources were selectable, but no picture showed up.

Yep no help with this card. Switched back to my cam links to be sure and they work fine.

I’ll double check on the Nyrus, but here is the Monoprice.

Is your computer detecting anything on the input?

Maybe my issue is that there’s about 35-40 feet of hdmi cable from my PC tower to my hdmi receiver? If I directly connect my Sony cams to the Blackmagic card they work fine.

Yours appear to be using very short HDMI cables.

40 feet is really pushing it for hdmi cables. Technically you may get away with up to 50 ft with a high quality cable and no noise but effectively depending on all components involved you start gambling after 25 or 30. You could try active repeaters in between.

Either way, I would troubleshoot with shorter cables and see if it works that way you can narrow it down to that connection specifically.

I really need this distance though. It gives me versatility in that I don’t need my tower to be close to the receivers. And since they work fine with the cam links it makes me want to pass on this card. Spending all this money was supposed to make things easier. Haha.

Seems like for my purposes the magwell is the way to go, but again. Not ready to pull the $800 trigger just yet.

Sorry, what I meant is that you can that way figure out if this specific cable / connection is your problem.
Let’s say you bring this closer together for testing purposes and put a good quality 6 ft or 10 ft cable in instead of the long one and it starts working then you know it is that. If it doesn’t then it means something else is wrong but that doesn’t clear that cable from being the culprit.

If it should be the cable, you have several options. Different cable, active repeaters or cat 6 extenders.

Try to start with a working setup and then add things on until something quits working. Process of elimination effectively with components that you already have.

Edit: the reason why I would try it that way is, at that length one device may just about work like you Cam links and the other new one just may barely not.

Yep that is correct! 25 feet is the limit for spec on HDMI. You can go longer but your mileage varies depending on cable quality and if the cable also has the chips in them for extending longer.

Yeah, for this test I’m using 6 ft cables. For the pinrig I’m using 6ft cables from the cameras to the transmitters and on the receiving end 10ft. (Receivers are mounted on a T Stand extended high)

If you need to go long on HDMI, you might want to consider either going with the HDMI cable with the circuitry to go longer or consider using a different format and converting back to HDMI.

Any thoughts on why the cam links work fine at this distance though?

I’m sure that’s my issue though. It’s the only difference between what I have set up and what you had in your video.

May have a better chip in it, just luck or whatever else. As it seems to be working at lower resolution that may be an indicator that the signal degradation is too much for the higher bandwidth requirement on that chip with that amount of noise introduced. I don’t remember for sure, but I suspect at lower bandwidth the tmds clock will just be lower and therefore less noise affected.

2 Likes

I’m testing and I agree that the Blackmagic Quad HDMI does not play nice…at least with the Nyrus. Looks like something with the handshaking and HDCP. I’m using the splitter and I’m able to capture, but the color is all off. However if I use a Camlink, it seems to be just fine (with a splitter).

@kdeangelo - What capture device do you use when receiving video from the Nyrus?

1 Like

Capture cards have specs for how long the usb cable leading from it can be, and how long the hdmi cable leading to it can be. I found this out with the CamLink, was able to get it to work at any distance as long as the shortest hop between powered USB hubs or powered HDMI signal boosters (I used a splitter) was within spec.

2 Likes

Thanks for the xsplit info I’ll give it a go tonight.

I’ve got a 3ft cable between my monoprice receiver and the black magic card and less between the camera and Monoprice TX - using these black magic tool it just never says anything is connected. If I connect the cam directly it detects and works in OBS - This is running the Sony cameras at 1080p - I’ll try it at 720p and see if that makes a difference. Same port on OBS.

GGTV did you get the output from the LVDS card to work with the black magic card?

Neil

1 Like

I use a Magewell card.

As a side note, the Nyrus set completely failed on me at INDISC due to, I assume, oversaturation on the 5ghz spectrum.

2 Likes

Have anyone tried using wireless “camera-top” H.264/H.265 encoders such as this one as inputs to OBS, perhaps with the gstreamer plugin to get low enough latency (as I understand it)?

https://www.amazon.com/URayCoder-Converter-Streaming-Broadcast-Livestream/dp/B0821G65V1/

I tried something like this but ethernet rather than wifi. The problem with it is that these devices encode at different speeds so you end up with sound/sync issues. I now use it for beaming the matchplay screen around the house/pinball shed.

Neil

1 Like

Anyone know of any standard scoreboard PNGs or PSDs to use with Scoreboard Assistant for players, game, score, etc? I can whip up my own, but wasnt sure if any had some leads on some good ones.

Edit: Was actually able to finally find a decent one and edited it a little bit to make it easier to add the info I need, posting it on here in case anyone ever wants to use it.

1 Like

We just did our SCS tournament and I thought I’d share something that worked really well. Perhaps mn_pinball can chime in on his setup but we had something like 12 games with Logitech cameras, mostly C920s, on them. We were in the basement of a local player that graciously hosted and had an unfinished ceiling which allowed us to use quick clamps attached to mic stand extension like the On-Stage MY550 that had the cameras on adapters. It worked out really well and I don’t know that I’ve seen the method mentioned here before but if you’re looking for a cheap solution and have ceiling rafters or something you can clamp to it was much more convenient than setting up a bunch of mic stands. Cameras stayed out of the way up high and all of the cabling was above too. So +1 for “rafter rigs”.