Twitch/livestream setups.

Anyone using more than 3 elgato cam links?

I was thinking of adding one more camera for announcers and getting rid of webcams. I am assuming it could be done as long as you have enough 3.0 ports and cpu can handle it but also realize I might be pushing it.

Unless you have them all on their own usb controller I have issues from time to time.

Itā€™s why I recently got that quad capture card.

1 Like

To anyone who looks at all this stuff and feels a bit overwhelmed, I can tell you itā€™s not so bad once you take the plunge. OBS is really easy to use as broadcasting software. Most people are using similar cameras. Once you tweak things a little in the beginning, then you shouldnā€™t need to fiddle much with it after that.

Iā€™ve streamed 4 times now and itā€™s been pretty easy. No schedule or anything, Iā€™ll just turn on the cameras whenever I play at home. Itā€™s much more fun to have people watching and chatting than it is to play alone. Stop by sometime: https://www.twitch.tv/ryanwanger/

3 Likes

My biggest issue was always computer and I was always trying to up my cameras and equipment. The computer couldnā€™t keep up and took a while to make a beefy enough one to handle all the good stuff. Haha

Just got around to installing my Blackmagic quad HDMI capture card. install was pretty smooth and the computer recognizes it.

However, I am having issues with using it and my 2 monoprice wireless hdmi transmitters and my Nyrus wireless hdmi transmitters.

Does anyone have this capture card and use the wireless transmitters?

Hi Chuck, I am having difficulties with the Blackmagic card, too, and I am in the middle of a long troubleshooting. I have confirmed all my hardware works, including the card, when everything is plugged in without wireless transmitters. I have not reintroduced the wireless transmitters yet, and I am considering changing direction and doing fully hardwired connections all around. (I already had a Monoprice transmitter fail.)

One thing to consider right away might be to reduce your camerasā€™ resolution to 720p. We had trouble getting Blackmagic to see the cameras before changing resolution from 1080p to 720p.

PS: I would be interested in connecting with you to discuss more details on your setup because it sounds like your configurations are close to mine. Maybe we could talk by phone? If interested, please send your phone number in a private message.

If this card doesnā€™t work with wireless transmitters Iā€™m going to be really pissed. Haha.

I paid over 500 bucks for this thing so Iā€™m not interested in doing anything other than 1080/60fps.

Hopefully Iā€™m just missing something.

The black magic card is problematic - I canā€™t get it to see the output from the LVDS converter at all. Will shortly try the wireless transmitter.

1 Like

Okay I just tried without the transmitters. I hooked three sony CX-405s to the Blackmagic card and the blackmagic software recognized them right away at 1080/59.94FPS and then they showed up right away in OBS. I did have to do a custom resolution at 1920x1080 and select 59.94FPS as the default did not work.

So it seems this capture card will not work with wireless transmitters. I could not even get the cameras to recognize in the blackmagic software let alone OBS. And when I did, the signal was only coming in at 720p. For one camera, 1080p for the other and the third didnā€™t even show up at all. Haha

So unless I am missing something, this card probably isnā€™t a good option for people like me that run a wireless rig 99% of the time.

just in terms of pragmatism, if youā€™re broadcasting on twitch at 1080p, it should make very little difference whether the contributing cameras are outputting 720p or 1080p. A 720p video, rotated 90 degrees has 1280 lines, scaled down to the broadcastā€™s 1080 lines. For score cams and player cams, 480p would likely be sufficient (if theyā€™re each taking up less than 45% of the vertical space).

Recording at lower resolutions will also improve battery life (though Iā€™m not sure if it would be significant)

1 Like

I agree at 1080p but It does if you are outputting 4K to twitch :slight_smile:

Erik - I just tried and got the same result the card doesnā€™t work with the wireless transmitter. I actually canā€™t get the card to work with xsplit at all although I thought I had it working - works ok on OBS.

I want to check the output from the LVDS board incase itā€™s a compat issue with xsplit. @GeekGamerTV are you using the card with xsplit or OBS?

Cheers
Neil

I also tried my PTZ Optics cam and it worked without needing to touch anything with OBS

answer my own question, the sync video that GGTV did was using Xsplit so I must have a strange install issue. Will take a look. GGTV - what settings are you using on Xsplit for the device?

Cheers,
Neil.

I keep my cams and output at 1080 because some of my scenes are a full scene of one of the cameras. So when on that scene I want it to look the best possible.

Thanks Neil. Looks like Iā€™m returning this. Iā€™m going to try this USB card as it seems like it will be good for running multiple cam links at once. Might be good for others that already have the cam links.

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-4-Port-Dedicated-5Gbps-UGT-PCE430-4C/dp/B00NVVSXIQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Vantec+Quad+USB&qid=1578931394&sr=8-1

I thought Twitch capped bitrate at 6000kbps regardless of resolution. Iā€™ve never seen a Twitch stream broadcast at 4K

Iā€™ve fed them 4K a while back and I got a decent output from it but need to go dig out what I did it was a while back and canā€™t remember what worked and what didnā€™t.

is the VOD for 4K. Oh and you need a browser that will play it, Safari doesnā€™t.

High recommend the magewell card. Yes its pricey but its bulletproof. Karl uses it for iepinball also.

https://www.amazon.com/Magewell-Capture-Quad-HDMI-Video/dp/B0178DV064/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=magewell&qid=1578941283&sr=8-3

2 Likes

wow, very crisp, but the playfield cam looks a little choppy?

yeah it is - laptop I was using top end Razer Blade 15 was struggling a little! Now have a new machine that should cope with it no problem so watch this space for more 4K streams. Although the point you make about rotating with 720p is very valid.

In my sync testing, I was using XSplit, but have also used OBS without issues. So you should be good to go. This is odd - sorry you are going through so much trouble.

My XSplit is set to use the source starting with ā€œBlackmagicā€ not the source that starts with ā€œDecklinkā€. You get 4 selections for each input. I did not have to specify the input resolution on the properties.

Can you post a screen shot of the properties window of your capture device?

Also, have you tried opening Blackmagic Media Express and see if you can see your video coming from the transmitter there? (Think of this program as a straight capture program).

And, be sure to open the ā€œDesktop Video Setupā€ program. (Located in the Blackmagic folder in the Start Menu). This will tell you if it detects video signal on the input AND what resolution it is. It makes it very helpful when having to set exact settings if needed inside the other capture programs.