Stupid, but fun objectives

Watching @bkerins’ Baywatch tutorial, maybe not an objective you’d actually want to spend an evening trying to get, but definitely stupid and fun: Make a chatty machine say the most ludicrous things by hitting shots with the right timing to cancel one sound bite by starting another.

That “Sharks have a helicopter” anecdote is the holy grail, but I remember having some fun at league night a while ago with a TOM that was coaxed into saying a couple of fun sentences that weren’t coded that way.

3 Likes

@seedees trying to collect all five hurryups on Metallica at the same time on twitch right now.

1 Like

10 million sonic boom

3 Likes

This made me laugh. Does the 10th one not give you a playfield multiplier?

It does but you can time it out a bit, shoot right ramp for W, time out some more till x is at 1 then shoot H

2 Likes

Oh I thought you were going for something much more nefarious than that, a total of 10M. I was thinking it would be possible with doc 3 (and obviously not doc 6) to bounce the ball to the right flipper after starting Sonic Boom, then tap passing (LOL) to the upper left flipper then shooting the O for 10M after 1.5x timed out.

1 Like

Skillful backhand from the left flipper! BOOM

I expect a video of KME doing this five times in the same game later this week.

1 Like

Is the idea to get the 10M boom on the O ramp only? If not, I think shoot the O for the 10th loop, once the multiplier was back to 1x, collect the ball to a flipper, wait for the X to drop back to 1 and shoot either the W or H before the boom timer has expired for a 10M award.

No sure 10M total would be possible since the shot to start sonic booms also scores a sonic boom, which I think should be worth 15M at worst since it would add a .5X multiplier with that loop shot.

Just did some glass off testing… 10 mil is not even possible because the playfield X timer actually pauses during sonic boom round.

There is no emoticon for what I am feeling right now!

So, uh… How about that tap pass to upper left? :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, that’s crazy. I guess it sort of makes sense? Still, sad. The quest for the 15 million sonic boom can live on, though.

LOL

For the record, I actually did it like 2/100 times legit (power 26; this video is cheating with power level 6), but I got a hand cramp trying to do it for real with just my cell phone.

5 Likes

resurrecting a 9 year old youtube account in the process!

Of public stuff, yeah.

It will be interesting to see if this is actually possible on a WPC or not. I believe the flipper buttons are only serviced every 4ms, so you lose a fair amount of timing you’d get with JJP or even Stern (even Whitestar did flippers every ms - probably why I thought in some cases they felt better than Williams flippers especially for things like tip passes).

Yes WPC flippers are the worst for tip passes!

Interesting, I noticed just the other day I had a harder time doing tip passes on a WPC than sterns in general, good to know I wasn’t crazy. I also noticed that tip passes seem harder on GB than I’m used to, not because of flipper gap, just getting the flipper pulse to happen at all, anyone know if spike is different somehow than the previous stern system?

Well, Spike is definitely different from SAM because of the node boards vs a driver board. I don’t know this for a fact, but I SPECULATE that they have code on individual node boards that basically do the realtime-related work of firing things like flippers and slings based on switch activity (similar to what PROC does), possibly because communication isn’t fast enough to react to critical switches in time. This theory best fits the behavior I’ve noticed over the last couple years, especially when their games would lock up and flippers, etc. still worked.

I’ve noticed particularly on GB that I don’t feel like I have the precise control I’d like. The only Spike games I’ve played extensively are Kiss, GOT, and GB since that’s what’s at Level 257.

3 Likes

Agree completely. To me, it’s not a Spike thing though. Something happened, starting with GoT, that has made it harder. I’ve found Kiss’s tip passing a lot easier than GoT and GB (having played multiple versions of each).

I thought they might have just changed the level of button depression needed with GoT and GB, and I hadn’t been able to adjust to this point. But it sounds like it’s more than that?

Its reasonably simple to get 15M.

If your 10th loop is not made from a combo after the 9th loop, and you’ve hit other switches, the upper ramp will not divert the ball to the lower flipper on the sonic boom round.

So, if you have 9 loops, faf about a bit and time out your multiplier, then shoot a loop, you’ll start sonic boom, ball will feed directly to upper flipper, then shoot that sweet sweet loop for a 15M boom. :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course, you could just play on the proto roms where the base value is 2.5M for a boom iirc.

1 Like

Ha! I recall you mentioning trying to make a similar combo while developing TSPP