Designed by John Borg with art by ZombieYeti, TMNT was released by Stern Pinball in mid-2020.
Wiki Rulesheet based on Code Rev 1.22
Edit the Code revision, if applicable, when you make changes
Based on the '80s and ‘90s cartoon version of the long-running franchise, each player picks one of the four turtles at the start of the game, each of which comes with their own special benefits. The primary goal of the game is to complete eight Episodes and fight the turtles’ rogues gallery, with the Shredder and his army of Foot Soldiers being the ultimate goal. Along the way, the player will have the opportunity to level up their turtle’s perks through Training Modes, customize the rules of Ninja Pizza Multiball through pizza toppings, and put their button mashing skills to the test during a Pizza Party. Those with high enough skills may even be able to start the “Cowabunga Multiball”.
The machine also contains several different modes that affect multiplayer games (accessible prior to starting a game). These include “Cooperation” (where every player shares points and mode progress), “Competitive” (removing randomness for tournament settings), and “Team Play” (where different sets of players compete against each other). Other notable mechanical features include a spinning pizza disc, a Turtle Van that’s able to hold balls for release during multiball, and a mechanism that allows the player to control the ball’s descend down either of the two primary ramps. The latter two are exclusive to the Premium and Limited editions of the game.
- Left outlane - Standard. Can be lit for Battle Again (ball save, cannot stack multiples of it).
- Leftmost left inlane - Similar to some previous John Borg designs, there are two inlanes on the left side. The leftmost left inlane starts the Weapon Hurry-Up when flashing.
- Rightmost left inlane - Once per ball, a ball that rolls through this inlane will qualify the 1-2-3 Combo at the right ramp.
- LAIR target - Hits to this target add letters to “LAIR”, which qualifies Training. If Training has already been qualified, this will light 2x Playfield at its corresponding target. Also has an RGB insert during modes labeled “Splinter”.
- Under-Flipper shot - This shot can only be made by holding up the left flipper and then shooting behind it, either as a backhand from the left flipper or from the right flipper. Along with starting Training when lit, the shot collects Jackpoto Grande during Ninja Pizza Multiball (one of the requirements for the final wizard mode) and is one of the four shots that can end an Episode. This is also Leonardo’s Skill Shot if said turtle is chosen.
- Left orbit - This orbit can send the ball to two possible locations - either all the way around to the right flipper, or to the upper flipper. The former feed typically occurs during normal play, while the latter feed often occurs if the side ramp is lit for something (ie. 2x Weapon Hurry-Up). Has an RGB insert labeled “Bebop”, collects the Weapon Hurry-Up when applicable, and can be lit during Training.
- Dimension X targets - Used during episode 6, otherwise pointless. There are two, one on both sides of the left ramp.
- Left ramp - This ramp goes behind the back panel of the game and can either send the ball to the left or right flipper, or stop the ball at certain times. At any time during play, repeated shots up the left ramp that feed the right flipper will raise the Glider value (by further amounts for faster shots) collected by the right ramp. This is the final shot of the 1-2-3 Combo sequence. This shot can be lit during Training and is also one of the four shots that can end an Episode, along with being Raphael’s Skill Shot if said turtle is chosen.
- Ninja Pizza Parlor - This saucer serves several important functions throughout the game. Along with starting an Episode when one is qualified, the shot locks balls for Ninja Pizza Multiball, collects the Extra Ball when lit, and is one of the four shots that can end an Episode. Along with being Michelangelo’s Skill Shot when said turtle is chosen, the saucer ejects balls slowly to the upper flipper.
- Left pizza target - This target is directly to the right of the Ninja Pizza Parlor and awards one slice at any time during normal play. When strobing, this shot will begin the Pizza Party.
- 2x Playfield target - When flashing (by completing LAIR, when Training is already lit), this shot will double all scoring for about 30 seconds. Additional shots to the target while the timer is running will add more time.
- Top rollover lanes - These lanes can only be fed by the right orbit when it isn’t lit for Weapon Hurry-Up or a weak shot to the left orbit. Increases the bonus multiplier by +1x and feeds the pop bumpers.
- Pop bumpers - Hits to the pop bumpers change the picture on the display; match all three and you get an award. If two match, they are locked in, and the third pop will cycle until it matches the other two. Similar to Ghostbusters, Star Wars, various other games that use this.
- Side loop - This shot can only be made using the upper flipper and raises the value of the Krang Kombo at any time during play (indicated by its red & blue “Krang” insert flashing). A weak shot to this loop will often feed back to the upper flipper thanks to a rubber directly under it. Can also act as shot 2 during the 1-2-3 Combo and scores the Mondo Jackpot during Turtle Power Multiball.
- Side ramp - This shot can also only be made using the upper flipper and it’s a pretty important shot, so it might be a good idea to get used to making it reliably. This is the second shot of the Krang Kombo, can act as the second shot of the 1-2-3 Combo, doubles the Weapon Hurry-Up, and is one of four possible shots where a mode can end. This is also Donatello’s Skill Shot if said turtle is chosen.
- Right pizza target - Just like the left pizza target, this adds 1 slice and can begin the Pizza Party when strobing. If a timed feature is running (ie. Skill Shot, Episode), a shot to this target will add some more time.
- Right ramp - This ramp goes behind the back panel and sends the ball directly to the upper flipper, ie. the left ramp in Black Rose or Rick & Morty. Along with being the first shot of the 1-2-3 Combo, this shot counts down towards Turtle Power Multiball (and can divert a ball into the Turtle Van on the Premium / LE), collects the Glider value after it has been built up and enough time has passed, collects the April Hurry-Up when available, and can be used during Training (usually as the first shot). Also has an RGB insert labeled “Shredder”.
- Right orbit - This shot serves a similar function to the left orbit, though during normal play, it will always divert into the rollover lanes. Collects the Weapon Hurry-Up when available, can be used during Training, and has an RGB insert labeled “Rocksteady”.
- APRIL target - This wide target is located in the exact opposite position to the LAIR target. Completing APRIL gives several awards; the first time its completed, it will light Battle Again at either outlane (ball save), and every further time, it will start the April Hurry-Up at the right ramp. Five of these hurry-ups are required to get to the final wizard mode. Also has an RGB insert labeled “April”.
- Right inlane - Just like the leftmost left inlane, starts the Weapon Hurry-Up when flashing.
- Right outlane - Just like the left outlane, can be lit for Battle Again.
- Plunger - While weak plunges will feed the bottom flippers, a strong plunge will feed the upper flipper. A set of inserts above the plunger indicates which turtle the player is playing as. Balls plunged after one is locked will be auto-plunged on default settings.
- Action button - Use the Action Button to change the direction of the glider on the Premium/LE; in both models, slam this button over and over during Pizza Eating Contest to rack up a ton of slices (up to 40!).
Turtle Select and Levels:
At the beginning of the game, you select one of the 4 turtles. Each turtle has their own set of perks awarded by levelling up through the Training mode. You start at level 1 and therefore receive that perk at the start of the game.
Leonardo (Well-Trained Leader)
Level 1: Light Training (this will also mean that if a skill shot is made right off the bat on the first ball, Training will start along with it)
Level 2: Add 10 Seconds To All Timers (doesn’t apply for ball save, as per usual)
Level 3: 2X Weapon Hurry-Up Scores
Level 4: 2X Team Up Multiball Scores
Raphael (Cool But Rude Bruiser)
Level 1: Episodes Lit (one time only - has to be lit manually afterwards)
Level 2: 2X Krang Kombo Scores (can multiply the 500k Max Krang Kombo to 1 million)
Level 3: Increase Playfield Multiplier (what does this mean? 3x as opposed to 2x?)
Level 4: 3X Episode Scores
Michelangelo (Pizza-Loving Party Dude)
Level 1: Light Battle Again (lit at the start of the first ball; one more can be acquired by completing APRIL the first time during normal play)
Level 2: 2X April Hurry-Up Scores
Level 3: 2X Pizza Eating Contest
Level 4: 3X Ninja Pizza Multiball Scores
Donatello (Glider-Flying Tech Wiz)
Level 1: Light Turtle Power
Level 2: 2X Foot Combo Scores
Level 3: Add Time To All Ball Saves (+10 seconds?)
Level 4: 3X Turtle Power Scores
Top Lane Skill Shot (Pro Only)
Plunge to the top left lane for points and Bonus X. This skill shot does not prevent you from also collecting your Weapon Skill Shot.
Weapon Skill Shot
When you plunge the ball, there’s a long timer (default) to shoot the lit shot that corresponds to your turtle. If you went for the Top Lane Skill Shot, the timer doesn’t begin until after the ball exits the pops. This lights the Weapon insert on the right or left inlane. You can hit other shots and not lose your lit skill shot.
Weapon Hurry-ups (WHU)
Roll over the lit Weapon inlane to start a “cascading hurry-up.” One weapon shot (either the left orbit or right orbit) will be lit for 500K, shoot this to collect the WHU, lock the value in and light the side ramp for your locked value +500K. The first WHU has two total cascading shots.
Subsequent WHU will have more total shots available. This means that on ball 2, if you collected the WHU on ball 1, you will have three cascading WHU shots available.
In co-op modes, the total number of WHU shots increases for ALL teammates.
Episodes (Modes) :
- Shoot L and R ramp once (yellow shots) to light Episode at the “Ninja Pizza Parlour” saucer.
- 2X Playfield standup target changes lit mode.
- Starting an episode relights both LAIR and APRIL targets.
- Completing an episode will light its icon on the UI green, failing an episode will light its icon red.
- Each completed episode provides a specific unique benefit to Team Up Multiball (TUMB) mini-wizard mode.
Completing episodes lights an Extra Ball (adjustable).
There are 8 total episodes. At the start of the game 6 episodes are available, the final 2 episodes will be unlocked after a specific episode has been played first.
Episode 1 (Shredder 1): Pizza-O-Meter
- Completion TUMB Perk = 2X Pizza Party Phase Scoring
- All major shots are lit. Shoot 3 lit shots to light the Turtle shots for episode completion. Shots unlight as you make them.
Episode 2 (Bebop and Rocksteady): Window Shopping
- Completion TUMB Perk = Bebop takes out Rocksteady and vice versa
- Left and right orbits are lit. Shoot 3 orbits to light the Turtle shots for episode completion.
Episode 3 (Krang 1): I Want A Body
- Completion TUMB Perk = Choose which Turtle to rescue in the Rescue Phase.
- Unlocks Episode 8
- Shoot either the left or right ramps, then the left or right orbit, then another orbit or ramp shot to light the Turtle shots for episode completion.
Episode 4 (Baxter 1/Mousers): Night of the Mousers
- Completion TUMB Perk = Lit return lane spots a bad guy
- Unlocks Episode 7
- All major shots are lit to defeat a Mouser. After making a shot, it will un-light until a different major shot is made. Shoot 6 lit shots to light the Turtle shots for episode completion. Lit shots will eventually time out, if 10 shots time out, you lose. Highly recommended to stack with a multiball ASAP.
Episode 5 (Shredder 2): See You On The Other Side Ray
- Completion TUMB Perk = 2X Rescue Hurry-Up value
- All 3 ramp shots start lit. Shoot a ramp, then the lair target, do this 3 times to light the Turtle shots for episode completion.
Episode 6 (Slash): Welcome to the Concrete Jungle
- Completion TUMB Perk = Bad guy shots are worth an extra 250K points
- Shoot both Dimension X targets to light the left ramp to go to Dimension X. The left ramp will also spot Dimension X target shots. The orbits are also lit but they don’t seem to advance further in the mode, so it’s probably worth ignoring them. Then shoot four red shots to light the Turtle shots for episode completion.
Episode 7 (Baxter 2): Super Fly
- Completion TUMB Perk = 2X Shredder Hurry-Up Value
- Right ramp and right orbit start lit. Shoot either of these to light the left ramp and left orbit. Shoot either of these to light the Krang Loop and Center Ramp. Shoot either of these to light the Turtle shots for a “Super Fly” hurry-up and episode completion. The APRIL Target will light once to add time, if time is running low.
Episode 8 (Krang 2): The Wrath of Krang
- Completion TUMB Perk = One bad guy shot defeats all bad guys
- A pair of shots will be lit red, these shots will cycle left and right on the playfield. Shoot 3 red shots to light the Turtle shots for episode completion. Hitting a shot that is not red will take away that shot all together so be careful.
Team Up Multiball(s) (TUMB)
After playing any 4 episodes, Team Up Multiball will be lit at the left ramp.
Each turtle teams up with a different partner:
- Leonardo with Splinter
- Raphael with Casey Jones
- Michelangelo with the Neutrinos
- Donatello with Metalhead
Any successfully completed mode will provide a perk during this MB, see episodes above for more information.
When the multiball starts:
Each lit shot will defeat a bad guy and the Orbits will remain lit. Defeat 6 bad guys to start a Rescue Hurry-Up where one of the Turtle shots will be lit for a hurry-up starting at 500K points. Shoot the lit Turtle shot to collect the Hurry-Up Value and add-a-ball. Repeat this process to collect the 2nd Rescue Hurry-Up, then repeat again to start a Shredder Hurry-Up at the right ramp, collect this hurry-up to light the final Rescue Hurry-up. Complete all 3 Rescues to start Pizza Party (Victory Laps).
Note: If the a Rescue Hurry-Up times out, you need to collect 6 bad guys to start it again.
Pizza Party (Victory Laps):
After you’ve rescued all 3 Turtles, you start Pizza Party. Shoot a yellow shot to collect the “Pizza Value” and turn the shot Orange. Shoot an Orange shot to collect 2X “Pizza Value.” Pizza Party continues until you drain down to 1 ball.
Final Battle: Portal in the Park
Final Battle is the 9th and final episode. It is lit after playing all 8 episodes. It starts by awarding you points for the modes you have completed. You are awarded 250k points for any failed Episodes and an increasing amount of points for each completed Episode, as follows: 500k/ 1.25m/ 2m/ 2.75m/ 3.5m/ 4.25m/ 5m/ 5.75m. So if you complete all 8 episodes, you will be awarded 25m points total for starting Final Battle. In addition, these points are multiplied by an active PF X.
This episode works in phases:
The 3 ramps and the side-loop are lit. Shoot 3 lit shots, then the Dimension X targets and then the left ramp to complete phase 1. Shooting a shot will un-light it, the other 3 shots will be lit.
8 Shots will be lit, 4 red for Bebop and 4 blue for Rocksteady. Shoot all of the red shots to light the left orbit for a Bebop hurry-up, shoot all of the blue shots to light the right orbit for a Rocksteady hurry-up. Collect both of these hurry-ups and then shoot the left ramp to complete phase 2.
Shoot left ramp twice to defeat Slash, then shoot the side-loop twice to defeat Krang, then shoot the right ramp twice to defeat Shredder.
Then shoot the left-ramp to complete the mode.
Phases 1 and 3 start as multiball, play will continue if you drain down to 1 ball. Spelling L-A-I-R will light the under-flipper shot for an add-a-ball. Phase 2 is single ball.
Final Battle Challenge can also be started as of 1.10, which allows you to play through this episode without getting through the rest of the game (ie. Escape Nublar Challenge from JP, or God Mode from Ghostbusters). The scores for Final Battle Challenge are kept on a separate leaderboard.
Mondo Jackpots and Jackpoto Grande/Super Jackpot
The Mondo Jackpots and the Jackpoto Grande/Super Jackpot are available in both Turtle Power Multiball and Ninja Pizza Multiball.
For both of these multiballs, collect the Mondo Jackpot to light Jackpoto Grande/Super Jackpot and Double Mondo Jackpot. Collect Double Mondo Jackpot to light Triple Mondo Jackpot.
Note: Double and Triple Mondo Jackpot will time out eventually if not collected.
Turtle Power Multiball (TPMB)
Turtle Power Multiball is lit by shooting the right ramp 4 times, and then started with another shot up the right ramp. Donatello lights this Multiball instantly at the start of the first ball. After playing it once, TUMB needs to be played in order to relight the right ramp for progress, and it will require one additional ramp shot.
Note: Certain modes/features like the 1-2-3 Foot Combo or Training make it so right ramp shots don’t count toward qualifying the multiball.
Shoot “Turtle Power” (green) shots for jackpots, collect 4 to light Mondo Jackpot at the “side-loop” shot.
Collecting Jackpoto Grande/Super Jackpot (lit by collecting a Mondo Jackpot) will re-light Turtle Power shots, if you collect 4 Turtle Power shots while Double/Triple Mondo Jackpot is lit, it will reset to a single Mondo Jackpot.
Collecting Triple Mondo Jackpot will re-light some Turtle Power shots but you won’t be able to re-light Mondo Jackpot until you collect the Jackpoto Grande/Super Jackpot, then re-light all Turtle Power shots, and then collect enough of them.
Shoot all 4 Turtle Shots (under-flipper, pizza parlour, left ramp and center ramp) to light Add-A-Ball at the right ramp and re-light all of the Turtle Shots (which will count as Turtle Power shots even if not lit green). There is no limit on the number of Add-A-Balls, but obviously there is a limit on the number of balls that can be in play.
Ninja Pizza Multiball (NPMB)
Locking Balls and Locking Toppings
Lock 3 balls by shooting the Ninja Parlor saucer shot to start a 3+ ball MB; after playing this Multiball once, you’ll have to collect five pizza toppings and play TUMB to light the three locks again. The pizza toppings you collect (upper R corner of display) alter the rules of the MB. Each time you lock a ball, it locks in your pizza toppings from right to left on the display. Lock 1 locks in first two toppings, lock 2 locks in next two toppings, and lock 3 locks in your 5th topping. Unlocked toppings have a green border around them, and will change each time you shoot a lit pizza standup, with toppings cycling from left to right. The next three toppings that will cycle into your set of 5 are shown to the left in smaller icons. The pop bumpers will change the next available three pizza toppings, but not alter your set of 5.
Pizza Topping Descriptions
Depending on which 5 pizza toppings the player has (you can collect multiples of different toppings will count toward 2+ of your 5 toppings), different perks will affect NPMB scoring and features:
Anchovies: Slices Eaten + 10K
(Pizza slices are worth an additional 10k points)
Octopus: Start Pizza Frenzy
(all switches score a base value of 3k, increasing by 1k for every 10 switch hits; apparent cap at 35k; rip spinner all day = )
Peanut Butter: +1 Slices Eaten
(pizza targets collect an additional slice of pizza when hit)
Pepperoni: Jackpots + 100K
(Jackpots are worth an additional 100K points)
Fudge: +1 Foot Kills
(Each Foot shot will destroy/kill an additional Foot Soldier)
Sausages: +50K Per Foot Kill
(Each Foot destroyed/killed will be worth an additional 50K points)
Gummy Bears: +1 Ball
(multiball will be 1 additional ball)
Ice Cream: Jackpot Starts Lit
Pineapple: Parlor Spots +1 Foot
Marshmallows: Unlimited Jackpots
Chili Peppers: Super Starts Lit
(Jackpoto Grande/Super Jackpot starts lit)
Mushrooms: Lair?? is a Time Lock (Prem/LE only)
Collect 6 foot by shooting blue shots to light Mondo Jackpot. Collect Mondo Jackpot to light Jackpoto Grande/Super Jackpot.
There are also regular jackpots available during this MB, they appear to be collected by hitting the pizza targets. It’s not clear how they are qualified.
APRIL Target: Light Battle Again and Start April Hurry Ups
Spell A-P-R-I-L at the April mono-target (spelling progress decays on a timer) to light Battle Again. If Battle Again is already lit, it will start an April Hurry-Up at the right ramp. The April Hurry-Up starting value is based on how many concurrent features you have running at that time. Shooting April target during hurry-up adds more time. The base value of the April Hurry-Up can also be increased through a random bumper award.
You can collect two awards from spelling A-P-R-I-L and then you need to start an episode to re-enable them.
LAIR Target: Light Training and 2X Playfield
Spell L-A-I-R at the left side mono-target (spelling progress is on a timer) to light Training at the under-flipper shot or to light the 2X Playfield Target.
The award will alternate between the two awards (even if you have Training lit or 2X playfield lit/running).
Note: For Leonardo this award will start at light 2X playfield target unless you’ve completed Training Level 2 before spelling L-A-I-R.
Like the APRIL Target, you can collect two awards from the LAIR Target before having to start an episode to re-enable them.
Completing Training will increase your Turtle’s level by +1 (up to level 4) for the remainder of the game.
Each level increases scoring by 10% and unlocks additional perks for each turtle:
Level 1: 0% Increase
Level 2: 10% increase
Level 3: 20% increase
Level 4: 30% increase
Shoot lit 2X playfield target to double scoring for 30 seconds. During 2x Playfield, additional shots to the target will increase the timer.
Foot 1-2-3 Combo
Start combo feature by rolling over the lit inner-left inlane (it’s lit at start of each ball). The Foot combo base value starts at 50k, increasing by 1k for every spinner spin. Successfully completing the combo scores 1x, 2x, and then 3x your Foot combo value for the final shot; each shot also adds to the “Foot Defeated” counter for the end of ball bonus.
- Shoot either the Right Ramp (1), then the Side Ramp (2) and then finally the Left Ramp (3) to complete the combo.
- Or shoot Right Ramp (1), Krang Loop (2), Side Ramp (3) to complete the combo.
Collecting 7 Slices of pizza will light Pizza Party at either of the pizza targets. When mode starts, you have 6 seconds to collect 40 slices of pizza by rapidly pressing the button on the lockdown bar. The faster you collect them, the higher the value scored will be.
Shoot the Krang inner loop to lite and build the Krang Kombo. Collect the value on the Side Ramp on a short timer. One inner loop lites the Kombo; 3 inner loops will max it out at 500k.
End of Ball Bonus
Bonus is determined through:
- Base bonus (switch hits, etc.)
- Foot defeated (30k per Foot Clan member defeated, either through the 1-2-3 combo or during Ninja Pizza Multiball)
- Pizza slices (1k per pizza slice collected on this ball, including ones from both Ninja Pizza Multiball & Pizza Party)
- Episodes completed
all multiplied by the bonus multiplier. On a long ball, bonus can be pretty big, so don’t tilt!
Cowabunga Multiball Wizard Mode
To qualify Cowabunga:
- Collect Triple Mondo Jackpot
- Collect Jackpoto Grande
- Complete 1-2-3 Foot Combo
- Collect a Weapon Hurry-Up
- Collect 5 April Hurry-Ups
- Collect a Max Krang Kombo
- Play Final Battle