Sexism in Pinball: Practical Examples

In this situation, we had matching shirts. I understand that you’re trying to troubleshoot for future events that might not have thought of all these things, but it’s frustrating being told that I was probably at fault for not IDing myself properly. I did everything that any experienced TD would do and these dudes still didn’t take me seriously.

8 Likes

Wait, I get to actually carry yellow and red cards? How did I not know about this![quote=“CFFLegs, post:74, topic:1800”]
In this situation, we had matching shirts. I understand that you’re trying to troubleshoot for future events that might not have thought of all these things, but it’s frustrating being told that I was probably at fault for not IDing myself properly. I did everything that any experienced TD would do and these dudes still didn’t take me seriously.
[/quote]

You’re just going to have to come to Pinburgh and TD next year. It’ll be a cool social experiment! (No, it’ll be great, because you’re a good TD and we need more.)

13 Likes

In which case, the guy is an even more sexist idiot than I thought, and I apologise. Given that @heyrocker had mentioned announcements, I thought there might be room for confusion if the announcement was missed.

Earlier in this thread I asked that we not direct criticism to each other, but to engage more in discussion around the topic in general. Lets not judge intent in each other’s responses, but assume good faith in all questions and discussion. I’ve just removed an entire thread of discussion that violated this principle. I will continue to do so and take further measures as necessary to guarantee that things remain civil here. I am not judging any of the viewpoints that were put forth, or saying someone was right or someone was wrong or any of that. If we can’t keep things on an even keel then we’re totally lost here.

Thanks everyone.

11 Likes

Something that I said in the off-shoot conversation I feel is relevant, so I’m going to reword it in a more general manner:

For men who don’t see these kinds of behaviors, or see things that are similar but don’t think they qualify as sexism, please take note - a woman taking a man’s comments in stride and joking along with him doesn’t necessarily mean his comments were acceptable, or that she wasn’t made uncomfortable. If women in this thread are in agreement that certain behaviors are upsetting or discomforting to them, and you see those behaviors elsewhere, try to make sure that the women involved are actually ok with it, and not just “playing along” to “avoid making a scene” or some other socially-expected means of tacitly endorsing that behavior.

6 Likes

Also… Can we not “rape” the spinner any more? Playing alone after Pinburgh finals, this loud threesome of bros were all over the “We’re gonna rape this bitch” language. Even Privilege-rich me was uncomfortable having to listen to them while I played. I should have called them out on it, <sigh>.

Pillage. Plunder. Crush. There’s plenty of good battle words.

14 Likes

Is that even still a thing? I haven’t heard it in a long time but maybe that’s just because people have learned not to say it around me but still say it to each other.

For the record this is specifically listed as unacceptable in the TiltForums Code Of Conduct.

4 Likes

I think we may have had a discussion about this. There are many such words. “Exploit” seems to be the most common and is closest in language to the alternate intent of the original word.

Perhaps I’ve been oblivious, or had the good fortune of not seeing/noticing blatant sexism in our local pinball scene, but when my friend, @ehobbs told me about her incident at Pinburgh, my eyes were opened.

As a husband who’s blessed to have an awesome, beautiful, smart, and talented wife… And blessed to have an amazing 12-yr old daughter who I hope grows up in an environment where she isn’t judged by her gender… I would be appalled to see or hear of my wife or daughter dealing with situations that Emily, @CFFLegs, and others have mentioned here.

No longer will I stand idly by or stay too engrossed in my games or conversations. I’m on the lookout now. Pinball needs to set an example for the rest of society and be a safe, welcoming hobby for all.

Thanks for starting this thread.

11 Likes

UGH, yes, please. This one actually makes me nauseous.

1 Like

I think I actually saw you call somebody on this at PPL finals one season, and it made me happy. Using “rape” with a positive connotation has always disturbed me deeply.

3 Likes

This topic brings up a related issue I think about a lot, but I don’t want to derail this thread with it. Please go read my new thread on diversity here:

4 Likes

Important thread this.

My best female pinball friend qualified for A division at Pinburgh, she went to stand by some of the (high profile) players who she was playing in the next round. Another high profile player who she was not playing against in the next round walked over to her and proceeded to tell her that the B/C players were over there. She explained that she was infact in A division to which he skulked away ashamed.

This is not only blatant sexism, but also extreme arrogance that goes on quite a lot at the top end of the competitive scene.

8 Likes

Weird! I hadn’t heard (or maybe noticed) it either and less than 5 minutes after reading this post I came across this.

Props for Nate for the quick correction too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this thread. As others have mentioned, I’m going to up my observation and intervention if I see things like this going on. We have a number of female players in the Sydney scene and - while I am yet to see bad behaviour from males - I recognise that it is happening and I’m not picking up on it. There needs to be a culture of greater support and understanding.

As for the unfortunate ‘rape’ term, I was starting to think that term had been left behind to the history of gaming as people became more aware that it was inappropriate. However, just recently I’ve seen a re-emergance of the term and I’m not sure why. I have a theory that it’s the hidden away communities (such as twitch chat) that are getting much more wide general exposure and therefore the extreme and niche languages getting a rebirth. But I could be utterly wrong on that wild assumption! It needs to stop - I was uncomfortable with the term when it was popular in the 90s, let alone these days…

2 Likes

I’ll start using “burn” the spinner (because it’s “lit” and I love word play)

5 Likes

Indeed, very good job by Nate.

I prefer to “melt” a spinner. But that’s a good one.

1 Like

I prefer @Adam’s usage of the word consummate. It somewhat implies consent :slight_smile:

I’d prefer in this interaction (just like in all others in our world) we just leave the overt tone of sexuality out of it entirely.

14 Likes

I’ve heard it referred to as “spamming”, which works for me, because spam is delicious.