- Game Information
- Rules Overview
- Skill Shots
- Character Modes
- Multiball Modes
- Other Features
- Wizard Modes (TBD)
Game Information & Overview:
- Lead Designer: Spooky Luke & Corwin “Bug” Emery
- Code/Rules: Spooky DJ & Luke Peters
- Lead Mechanical Engineer: Duane Foust
- Artwork: Matt Frank
- Display and Animations: Bill Rude
- Music and Sound: Matt “Count D” Montgomery
- Release Date: January 2023
- Wiki Rulesheet based on Code Rev: 2023.04.18.17
- Edit the Code revision, if applicable, when you make changes
Scooby Doo, Where Are You? is based on the 1969 Hanna-Barbera cartoon series that defined TV animation for generations. Load up the Mystery Machine as you try to solve mysteries and capture their culprits with the help of “those meddling kids”.
At the start of the game, players can choose one member of the Scooby gang to play as. The character choice is locked in for the rest of the game, and duplicates of the same character cannot be chosen. Each character has perks that translate to higher scoring for certain game features.
- Daphne: Danger-prone; bolsters the gang
- Fred: Action button enables ball save + 2x scoring during trap phase
- Scooby: Action button collects all Scooby Snacks + 2x Scooby Snacks per shot
- Shaggy: Makes towering sandwiches; throws his voice; frightens easily; bonus during chase
- Velma: Tends to lose her glasses; bonus for finding clues
The skill shot is indicated by a flashing red light on the playfield. Use the flipper buttons to change which shot is lit to score the skill shot. It can be placed on the left drop targets, the character orbits, or the standup targets.
Shoot the white fingerprint shots to collect clues and light mysteries at the Mystery Machine shot. The first mystery lights after two clues, then subsequent mysteries require one additional clue to light. The left spinner changes the lit mystery, but it can be locked in by pressing the launch button.
The timer for completing each mystery is represented by the Bravery Meter. The Bravery Meter decreases over time, but can be restored by collecting Scooby Snacks. After completing the goals for each mystery, the Trap Phase will begin, during which you will have 30 seconds to rack up bonuses and and shoot the Mystery Machine to unmask the villain.
Points during modes are currently only awarded if the player successfully completes the unmasking phase at the end, compared to other recent releases where mode shots score points on their own.
From left to right, the rules for each mystery mode are:
- Charlie the Robot - Shoot the roving blue shot to follow Charlie. Shoot the yellow shots to shut off the lights and prevent Charlie from heading to that shot. Upper playfield shots score carnival rides for bonus points. 4 blue shots are needed to complete the first phase. Trap phase - three shots to the center ramp adds a bonus to the unmasking value.
- Captain Cutler - Shoot any of the Captain Cutler targets to increase oxygen and light the main shots for clues. If the oxygen meter runs out, shots to Captain Cutler will replenish it. Six shots are needed to complete the first phase. Trap phase - oxygen remaining multiplies the unmasking value.
- Miner 49’er - Crack the safe by shooting the orbits. Green shots are correct, red shots are incorrect and will reset the sequence - shooting the targets next to them will reveal which type they are. Memorize the sequence and complete all four shots to win the first phase. Trap phase - upper playfield shots increase the unmasking value.
- Space Kook - Rip the spinners to light the character orbits for clues for a certain amount of time dependent on the spinner hits & relocate the shots if needed. Shooting the airport from the bookcase flipper scores a jackpot worth the total of each shot collected + 10 Scooby snacks. 6 shots are needed to complete the first phase. Trap phase - left spinner multiplies the unmasking value.
- The Creeper - Shoot the character orbits to pass the paper between the gang and prevent the Creeper from getting it, represented by the green inserts. If the Creeper gets the paper, mash the action button to get it back. 5 shots will complete the first phase. Trap phase - green shots add to the unmasking value.
- Black Knight - The rubber above the upper right flipper is lit red. Hit the rubber with the ball and “paint” as many white shots red as possible - two shots per red shot, then you have to make one of the red shots you made again to keep going. 10 shots are needed to complete the first phase. Trap phase - ???
- Swamp Witch / Zombie - Shots on the left side of the playfield are lit green, shots on the right side are lit purple. Combo shots into each other to score more points, but be wary as the number of shots on each side decreases for each shot you make. 6 shots will complete the first phase. Trap phase - roving purple shot increases the unmasking value.
Complete all seven mysteries to light the center ramp for Would’ve Gotten Away With It…
Character Modes (TBD):
Shoot all four orbits when their respective character inserts are flashing (or the upper playfield shots for Scooby) to start character modes.
Play all five character modes to light the center ramp for The Gang’s All Here.
(Currently not implemented.)
Mystery Machine Multiball:
Light the Mystery Machine for lock by shooting the two spinners enough times - one is at the left ramp, the other is at the entrance to the Mystery Machine. Once three balls have been locked, Mystery Machine Multiball will begin.
All four of the character orbits are lit, and making any of them three times each will light a jackpot that can be collected at their shot for the remainder of the mode. If the inserts on each character orbit are synced up (ie. the same number of jackpots has been scored at all four shots), super jackpot will be lit at the Mystery Machine - up to 3x super jackpot if all three inserts are lit at the four shots. The super jackpot deactivates if the inserts fall out of sync, but shots can be locked in by shooting the Mystery Machine to prevent this. If all three super jackpots have been scored, character orbits are lit for jackpot for the remainder of the multiball.
Captain Cutler Multiball:
Make each of the four Captain Cutler footprint shots on the upper playfield twice, then bash the diving helmet between them to start Captain Cutler Multiball.
Shots to Captain Cutler light jackpots that can be collected at randomly lit shots, and time out after about 10 seconds. The jackpot value increases with each shot.
Scooby Snack Multiball:
To enable the apron lock, complete all 4 SD targets (targets next to major shots on the lower playfield). Once apron lock is active, either lock a ball on the left apron lock via VUK behind the scooby snacks drop targets (Velma ramp) or on the right apron lock via upper playfield shot to the Scooby-Doo ramp. Shoot again all 4 SD targets and lock the 2nd ball on the opposite apron lock.
Scooby Snack Multiball is currently the only mode that is stackable over other modes (including Mystery Machine MB).
(more to come on SSMB rules)
Shoot the two banks of drop targets on the left side of the playfield to light major shots for snacks, and shoot the shots where they’re lit to collect them. Snacks increase the Bravery Meter during mysteries.
Light both left outlanes to save your current ball.
The Gang's All Here (TBD):
Play all five character modes to light the center ramp for this wizard mode.
Would've Gotten Away With It... (TBD)
Play all seven mysteries to light the center ramp for this wizard mode.
Scooby Doo, Where Are You? (TBD)
Start both The Gang’s All Here and Would’ve Gotten Away With It… to light the center ramp for the final wizard mode.