PAPA tutorial edit schedule

Walking Dead is up. Full Throttle is being edited now.

10 Likes

Wow, thanks @mhs and @bkerins for another quality tutorial. Great stuff, and very cool to hear you’ve got some more in the pipeline. I don’t care which one comes next, I just want to see them all.

Quick question: Is there any difference in your playfield recording setup when doing tutorials vs. tournaments or papatv live? I don’t know anything about that kind of stuff, but it seems to me that the tutorials tend to look prettier than the other footage.

Big difference. Lighting quality is controlled to just the one game, multiple additional cameras, notably the one directly in front of the lockdown bar that would cause a huge distraction to competition players. Multiple side angles. “B roll” footage. Always glare-free glass. Significant post-video editing.

So, yes. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Just so I don’t come off as a complete moron, I did notice some of those things, like the lockdown bar camera :smile:

I wasn’t all that clear about it, but I was mainly talking about the quality of the top view of the playfield, i.e. how easy it is to make out various playfield features, which, at least for me, makes a huge difference in how much I can enjoy watching a game on a machine I don’t really know.

I was just wondering about the hassle / reward ratio of all those different things being done to make tutorials look great in regards to how feasible it would be to incorporate some of those in tournaments. Like, does the major part of the quality difference boil down to post processing, which can’t be done in a live stream, or is the big difference just glare-free glass, which could be incorporated fairly easily? Or: is setting up good playfield lighting a hugely time consuming matter, or doesn’t it really make much of a difference, with all the stuff being done already, setting up the broadcast?

LIke I said, I don’t know anything about filming stuff, but I’m genuinely interested in whether some of those things could be done in tournament broadcasts, or whether this is just a completely different beast.

I’m very glad not to know much of anything about this. There is definitely a lot more hassle put into the tutorials, in terms of editing. The hassle in tournament coverage is the entire physical set-up and take-down, and the detail necessary to make sure everything is working for live.

1 Like

I think the biggest contributor to the differences you’re seeing is due to lighting. Most tournaments are held in rooms without a ton of ambient light. The less expensive cameras used to record/stream these tournaments generally start degrading in performance fairly quickly when given less light with which to capture. If PAPA is doing additional lighting, it would make sense that the videos look a lot sharper and clearer.

1 Like

Man, what do you got against bicycle girl :wink:

1 Like

There’s several differences to how things are processed, but Jay’s correct; the biggest difference is lighting.

1 Like

Just ain’t worth it no more. Unless there’s something I’m missing about it, it seems like small points now…

Easy Multikill advance

2 Likes

Ah, yeah. Where’s that list of what gives multikill advances again? It doesn’t seem to advance the multikill value by a lot, just gets you closer to Horde.

Walking Dead wiki rulesheet Gives a great list of the multi kill starts, thanks to the maintainers of that thread!

List of game objectives that qualify Multi-Kill’s:

Three Barn shots during Barn mode.
Three CDC ramps during CDC mode.
Completing CDC mode.
Three Riot shots during Riot mode.
Two Tunnel shots during Tunnel mode.
Completing Tunnel mode.
Two Arena ramps during Arena mode.
Completing Arena mode.
Completing the Bicycle Girl hurryup.
Clearing the drop target bank 10 times.
Clearing the drop target bank three times during Blood Bath.
Scoring three jackpots during Well Walker multiball.
Scoring four jackpots during Prison multiball.
Completing three crossbow shots.
Collecting the Start Multi-Kill award.

5 Likes

@bkerins Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere and I missed it, but I would love to hear the story about transporting a live game of Road Show ~800 miles from the Grand Canyon to San Francisco.

When that video cut to ball 3 with the bridge in the background, I literally exclaimed “OH MY GOD” out loud at my desk. Unbelievable. So absurd. AND you made it to Super Payday!

I mean, it’s basically the Citizen Kane of pinball tutorials.

2 Likes

My wife and I drove across the country to broadcast INDISC a few years ago and had all the equipment in the car. Bowen flew into Phoenix for the tail end of the trip, and we figured - why not? The game was powered off of an inverter hooked to the car battery, which, in addition to proving the point of how little they’re needed to play the game successfully, was a reason they were disabled. Overall, there was a little bit of planning involved with the tutorial, but it was more of an afterthought to INDISC and some other video projects than anything. We figured it would be fun to try, and if anything came of it, all the better.

The most interesting part of the tutorial for me personally is while on location, not only was Bowen not using the two upper flippers, but if he ever pressed both flippers at the same time the game would reset. Pay attention during multiball, and you can see how careful he is to keep that from happening. When we were doing the Denver shoot, he laboriously set the game state and matched the score three times in a row and for whatever reason decided to check the status report prior to plunging ball 1… reset… bowen swearing… losing sunlight. It was pretty comical.

There were multiple outtakes at the Grand Canyon and in San Francisco where people stopped to talk and ruined an attempt. It was hell hauling the game around, but in the end it turned out to be fairly entertaining.

20 Likes

Correct: bicycle girl primary use now is advancing toward Horde, or an easy requalifying of multi kill when you don’t have multi kill currently running.

Any new pinball tutorial is “a good thing”. Looking forward to some of the Full Throttle play. Shooting for the blinky things is easy to see in FT because it is so bright. Fast Fast game…vroomm…

Quick Q regarding Multikills: Is there any difference between having one, or more than one, multikill running simultaneously?

From what I understand, the multikill shots are cumulative throughout the game. If you qualify two multikills in one ball, the second value will be added to the initial multikill. Don’t know if more than one yellow light will be lit though…

COME ON! This makes it so much better.

I can’t wait for the gripping conclusion of TRON. That game is tough!