PAPA tutorial edit schedule

Kings of Right Target FTW!!

Why is Godzilla used so often? I kidna want one, but surprised since despite its rarity its only worth about 2k.

Godzilla is my favorite Sega by far though others seem to disagree. It has a very simple ruleset where you just start/stack as many multiballs as possible (there are 5) and then save ā€œNew York.ā€ The more you stack the better the jackpot values so thereā€™s good risk/reward. There are no other modes or anything significant to do in the game. It also has no real issues or exploits that cause it to have unbalanced scoring and itā€™s very responsive to set upā€”you can make it play pretty tough or very easy with little effort. But thatā€™s just my opinion. MHS or someone from the PAPA crew would have to chime in I think.

Do some spoilers videos, e.g., where Bowen gets to Encore on AC/DC or Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard mode on TSPP. If not then:

• Goinā€™ Nuts
  • Bone Busters
  • Cactus Jacks
  • X-men
  • Fairy
1 Like

Lost in Space Bowen please haha :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for this. Looking forward to TWD. I would also like Full Throttle next. For future games, how about Stern Kiss and GOT?

Timeshock, once the machine releases. Really looking forward to Bowen saving the universe.

Another vote for WOZ please. All the blinkenlights on that machine confuse me whenever I play it, some guidance would be super.

We have one of those at PAPA now, but itā€™s a POS. (LiS not WOz)

I would hold off on WOZ. They have already said they are updating the code. The tutorial would be out of date within a month or two.

1 Like

@keefer, is that true? I thought WOz was near-final?

Also, if @keefer is up for it Iā€™d kinda like him to do the tutorial video. Explaining why things are the way they are is interesting as well as strategy considerationsā€¦

2 Likes

They posted the WOZ code update is in testing on their FB page.

Iā€™m not particularly bothered if WOz gets an update after the video. Weā€™ll just revisit it down the road again when the video and code separate far enough. Weā€™re already planning on doing this to a few games that have old tutorials.

2 Likes

I seriously doubt any additions to the code are anywhere close to invalidating what I remember of the PAPA video. The highlights of the new version are:

• Extra balls possible from HOADC and Fireball Frenzy now (not even really applicable to a tournament situation)
  • Multiball add-a-ball and resurrection rules (most games have those features so nice, but not really super noteworthy)
  • Couple of Glinda award tweaks (this is really minor, other than one of them is the aforementioned add-a-ball)
  • More adjustments some of which could be used for difficulty tweaking (typically adjustments arenā€™tā€™ covered on tutorials)

There are lots of bugfixes and minor additions as the system software has matured. Nothing really worthy of a new video. Of any of my games, I wish theyā€™d do WPT that wasnā€™t set to extra hard! :smile:

2 Likes

Just as a general rule of thumb, Iā€™d like to see A) modern games as theyā€™re released and B) licensed themes that are unlikely to show up in the Pinball Arcade any time soon.

The former is what Iā€™m most likely to see in a tournament but not see on route in my area (Mustang, Woah Nellie, Full Throttle, Wrestlemania, etc, etc.) and the latter is more likely to be useful for longer and to more people.

1 Like

Great work as always, Mark. Iā€™ve watched PAPA videos since day 1, and it has actually been a good few years now since that Creature finals. Amazing what has happened.

Games like Congo, Judge Dredd and World Cup Soccer seems to show up at a decent frequency at tourneys. And which I would consider relevant for a tutorial. Especially for a Congo that is setup to not allow for right flipper only play in a particular nice manner. JD - what modes to go for. WCS - goals prior to first MB - and Ultra modes or not.

Mustang for a recent Stern design pick is obvious. Great game.

A great for competition play early Data East would also be nice to see.

1 Like

Iterestingly, I think a lot of the early tutorials got significant traffic from the pinball arcade to the tutorials if the game was available. Ripleyā€™s, in particularā€¦

PotC and GnR would be nice.

Not sure if you are aware of this:

@umbilico too

2 Likes

Thanks, Aaron wrote me an email today, and I just added it to the index. Itā€™s a bit of a bummer that the voice volume is a tad too low vs. the machine sounds, but itā€™s interesting to see different tutorial formats, especially on machines that havenā€™t gotten much coverage yet.

1 Like