PAPA circuit event voting now open.

Unfortunately they can’t. AMOA and TPF crews both had issues moving to eachothers dates so they will be a week a part.

AMOA might get us a conference room at the Sheraton. Betson Dallas office is another potential location. Someone’s basement is option #3 :slight_smile:

Yeah, typo. It’s through the 4th.

1 Like

Yep - I’ve heard lots of chatter about people voting a bunch. At this point, Might as well just make it a lottery and randomly pick some events from the list.

I would not be opposed to keeping it all as 14-18 hand selected events by the PAPA crew.

3 Likes

We have processes in place to deal with this.

@PinballNarcissist Why? That lead to a lot of “Why is/isn’t show A/B/C/D on the circuit?!? I don’t like this/that/theotherthing and I want X/Y/Z instead.” We put criteria in place to determine what we want to see in a tournament and show, and from there, solicited player feedback. We made it completely transparent, so you can see what is needed to be on the circuit, what your players said about your event, and now, you can see how others are voting for your event. Why do you think a better choice is to have us pick events with no input?

I don’t think no input is better, but I do think having the circuit organizers choose is.

The circuit organizers chose the criteria an event has to meet to be considered.

I guess my thought is that it’s the “papa” circuit. Your organization has proven itself to be as fair as possible to the majority of the competitive pinball community. I trust any decision your team makes or any tournament it includes or omits from the circuit.

Having said that, I’ll trust the process put in place to select these tournaments :slight_smile:

I understand that, and I’m saying I preferred it when the circuit organizers chose the events.

2 Likes

I agree with Greg, feedback is great of course but organizer should have a way to balance out result and make final decision. Especially since no voting system will tryly represent players (not everyone is only) or help promoting PAPA through different regions (I am assuming it’s better to spread tournament instead of having most of them around the same locations?).

1 Like

We have a wide spread of locations just looking at the 10 events that are already on the 16-17 calendar. There are events in Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, California, Colorado, Maryland, Nevada, and Georgia.

< traveling circus >

You didn’t have to read the hate mail when an event wasn’t chosen, which is one of the catalysts causing this change. Although, I suspect we’ll come to the conclusion internally it’s a lose-lose for us either way, and we’ll have to field equal amounts of complaints (for the free publicity we’re trying to give other events) whether it’s an open or closed process.

< /travelingcircus >

4 Likes

No good deed goes unpunished. :frowning:

1 Like

I did tell Polka I’ll release WPPR v5.3 now just to get some of the hate thrown back our way :wink:

7 Likes

Wppr 5.3: Death of the Selfie League. :grin:

2 Likes

Not while earnings at the location we play at are doubled what they were :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hey I just said I personally would prefer it. Of course one reason I prefer it is because I TD two long-standing events held in high regard and would have a good chance of getting in if it was moved to more of a selection-based process. Of course the converse of this is that since these events are long-standing and well regarded, I don’t really get a great benefit from being a circuit event other than the prestige that comes with it, and this has driven me not to be particularly aggressive about getting out the vote. People are going to come to Pinbrawl and CAX either way. My only real complaint from a general perspective was how the timing was crappy for Pinbrawl, but that is apparently going to be addressed next year already so cool.

Really, from your perspective, it should come down to the goals of the circuit and what it is trying to achieve. Is it trying to be a professional circuit which drives the best of the best through the best tournaments in the world and into a final competition? Is it trying to draw in new players? Give publicity to events that otherwise might not get it? These are the things that should drive the decision-making around it. As for the haters?

8 Likes

Fyi, the NWPAS overall average rating from the surveys was 4.1, on a scale of 1 to 5 where 1=Poor, 2=fair, 3=good, 4=very good, 5=excellent. And that was below the cut line. If NWPAS was last, then it means all circuit events last year were “very good or better”. That says a lot of good things about how fortunate we are today with competitive pinball. Who remembers the list of top-rated pinball tournaments in 1999?

3 Likes

It’s a good place to be, for sure, compared to 1999. I would say there were only 3 decent tournaments that year: Pinburgh 99, Expo, and CA Extreme. And Expo had single-game qualifying back then, it was barely a tournament.

Now, so many of the events are good, and additionally improved by being part of a wider show or something else going on.

I’m very happy to see how much there is to do, and it deserves a big thank you to all the people who make these events possible.

12 Likes