PAPA circuit event voting now open.

From PAPA’s facebook

The voting for the Circuit schedule has concluded. The results are listed below. Top 8 events will be added to the 2016-

2017 PAPA Circuit schedule:

1. Pinball at the Zoo (360)
  2. 24 Hour Final Battle (258)
  3. OBX Flippers Fall Tournament (254)
  4. Buffalo Pinball Summer Open (253)
  5. Cleveland Pinball and Arcade Show (252)
  6. Bat City Open (217)
  7. Dutch Pinball Masters (188)
  8. Boras Pinball Open (180)
    —Cut Line—
  9. Texas Pinball Festival (179)
  10. NW Pinball Championship (165)
  11. Pinbowl 5 (155)
  12. Vancouver Flipout (145)
  13. California Extreme (122)
  14. Portland Pinbrawl (69)
  15. Silverball Rumble (64)
    Thanks to everyone who voted!
9 Likes

Awesome that there are no events representing the region that… I think 1/4th of the circuit finalists this year are from? Guess that is how it worked out, but whatever.

Congrats to the Dutch Pinball Masters & Borås Pinball Open for being the first European competitions on the Circuit! I think it’s fun that it’s not limited to North America anymore.

3 Likes

Mapped out the 16th US events (out of 18th, excluding 2 European):

https://bit.ly/1VPBTSi

The locations are not really balanced, and looking at potential dates the ones in the “middle” of the US are around the same month too.
That’s 9 event out of 16 on the east coast, and none less than a 1000 miles from Seattle. great for us :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Funny I was going to make up a map when I got home to see what it looked like.

This is a case where a better voting system could’ve helped. I don’t just mean authentication of voters, but also using something other than ‘single vote, first 8 past the post’, which is almost the worst voting system possible.

There was certainly a lot of drumming-up-votes from various TOs, and less so from others, as @heyrocker mentioned. This is likely not the optimal way to measure what ‘the PAPA-circuit-visiting public’ wants :-(.

(Side note: does anyone prefer graphical :frowning: emoji? Bah)

1 Like

(Side note: does anyone prefer graphical emoji? Bah)

i prefer emoticons :@) :^) 8) =) ====|:)} to those new fangled “emoji”

“Single vote, first past the post” voting seems to work for electing government officials all over the world. Totally unsuitable for pinball.

1 Like

also, if your event did well enough in the “reviews” from attendees, it didn’t need to be in the “voting tier” of events…

You aren’t really paying too close of attention if you think it “works”. Or you really just like the two party, “I hate the other guys” type of politics.

1 Like

Perhaps a conference type system that divides the country in regions (sorry Europe, being Americentric now) would work. Have voting for each region where the top two events make it. Then have an overall voting for the remaining events or just have PAPA appointments based on logistics and overall reputation. That being said, basing event planning primarily around what is fair is usually recipe for disaster and never satisfies everyone.

4 Likes

Yes, 9 events within 500 miles of … Pittsburgh. None anywhere in the NW. In fact, if you plot which major city to live in to have the most events near you, it’s Pittsburgh even without the 3 Pittsburgh events!

NW might have more locations to play in the public by a long shot but it seems like the East coast likes to compete more :wink:

so you are saying PAPA should be renamed PPA, Pittsburgh Pinball Association :smiley:

1 Like

FYI about these “500 miles from X” mentions …

3 Likes

Lies, damned lies and statistics! :wink:

2 Likes

that could make for a good math problem Bowen :wink: Considering the amount of circuit within a 500 miles radius of Pittsburgh and Seattle next year compare to this, how will it affect proportion of west/east coast player making the circuit final? :smiley:

That is a 1000 mile radius around Seattle.

1 Like

I mostly feel bad for Antarctica.

5 Likes

Right; that was based on @hisokajp talking about having no Circuit events within a 1000-mile radius of Seattle (which … turns out there are 3, in San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Denver).

But yeah. 1 Circuit event per continent for 2017, sounds good.

1 Like