Mobile Camera Rig: Plans and Materials

Actually, that was a mistake, ugh. However, I think it will be fine without them. Karl’s doesn’t use them. @KingNine have you had any issues without the upper 45 degree supports?

No worries. I can always add them later. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks for looking into it.

Another thing you can do is use two on the bottom and two up top. Just put the bottom ones on opposite sides.

1 Like

Good idea. I may do that.

I’m guessing this is the right thread to ask this question, but another could be opened up if necessary.

I’ve got a frame I’m happy with (bespoke made),
I’ve got 3 cameras - Logitech C920 HD(https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006A2Q81M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I just don’t have a laptop that’s capable of (powerful enough) live streaming (although it can record, which I can then download).
I don’t want to break the bank so am after recommendations as to a suitable laptop.

What specs should I be looking for as a minimum?

recommendations for a microphone also welcome.
Cheers

This thread is more for the physical rigging. Check out Twitch/livestream setups. for more general streaming help.

2 Likes

All done! Went pretty smooth and seems plenty sturdy even without two of the supports.

Hoping I can use this at home too and ditch my wired hanging rig. I’ll be testing the wireless transmitters as my basement is a 90 degree turn from the computer so I’m worried about line of sight.

Very excited!!

3 Likes

Looking sweet! i was suggesting flipping one of your bottom supports to the opposite side, so you have one in front, one in back. but I honestly doubt it matters. You have smooth floors so you wont have much stress when its moving.

If you’re using the monoprice transmitters, you’ll definitely have line of site issues. If you connect your receivers to your computer with some long cables, you can move your receiver stand as needed to maintain line of site.

Good idea on the long hdmi cables. I may do just that.

We are not having any issues withouth the other two angle supports. We left them off the top as the bottom will get the most stress and the angle braces the join the top bar to the supports seemed plenty strong enough. If I had my druthers I’d probably rather have them but so far it is strong and secure! Where I think they might help is the feet seem to come inward about an inch from the top and they probably help keep them at a perfect 90 degrees. Not having them will make adjusting the width that much easier too.

just put up some mirrors

1 Like

Building Day!

4 Likes

And now… complete! Thanks @kdeangelo for the BOM and inspiration! It’s awesome!

4 Likes

good stuff!

1 Like

any of you carried one of these on a plane? how did it go? what sort of case/bag are you using?

Neil

i7, SSD, 16G memory, Nvidia or AMD graphics…

Neil.

I want one of these for the house but the BOM is too much dollars for me. I also do a lot of my streams from location. Did @kdeangelo ever update his idea for a more mobile setup?

I have my updated one but the BOM isn’t that much lower since it relies completely on counterbores and the connectors for them. You might be able to get away with flat plates but you’d need a bunch, and I haven’t priced that option out.

I’ll post my updated BOM once I finally use it this week.

A functionally similar, albeit sloppier/less sturdy, rig made of pvc or steel pipe from a big box store would be a lot cheaper. Likewise a rig made of 2x4s.

With this rig, how is everyone organizing the score cam for EMs? Is the score come on the right side of the rig or left side? I have it on the right side and it’s making it hard to see Grand Prix player 1. I wonder if putting it to the left side of the rig will help and then just maybe cut off the less important digits of the other players?

1 Like