Mobile Camera Rig: Plans and Materials

any of you carried one of these on a plane? how did it go? what sort of case/bag are you using?

Neil

i7, SSD, 16G memory, Nvidia or AMD graphics…

Neil.

I want one of these for the house but the BOM is too much dollars for me. I also do a lot of my streams from location. Did @kdeangelo ever update his idea for a more mobile setup?

I have my updated one but the BOM isn’t that much lower since it relies completely on counterbores and the connectors for them. You might be able to get away with flat plates but you’d need a bunch, and I haven’t priced that option out.

I’ll post my updated BOM once I finally use it this week.

A functionally similar, albeit sloppier/less sturdy, rig made of pvc or steel pipe from a big box store would be a lot cheaper. Likewise a rig made of 2x4s.

With this rig, how is everyone organizing the score cam for EMs? Is the score come on the right side of the rig or left side? I have it on the right side and it’s making it hard to see Grand Prix player 1. I wonder if putting it to the left side of the rig will help and then just maybe cut off the less important digits of the other players?

1 Like

(I accidently posted this in the twitch live stream thread instead of here where my original comment was so I’m posting here too. Sorry for doubling up on it if you see it in both places) Just thought I’d follow up on the upper bracket comment I made a couple of months ago. I had stated we didn’t think we needed them but now think they would be more advantageous than not having them. During weekly streaming while we have plenty of time to move the rig we really don’t need them as bad. But when streaming the finals of the Shoot Again Shootout and weaving around people and objects the wheel hit a foot and the leg bent in some. Just enough to force us to pull it back out so it would fit around the machine. It wasn’t destructive to the unit and it was easily fixed. Also we have noticed a propensity for the legs to naturally toe inward on their own a little. We’ve straigtened and tighgtened the bolts a couple of times but now just keep the legs a couple of inches wider to compensate. We are either going to rob two of the four angle brackets from the base or suck it up and order 2 more for the top. If you’re ordering a new one I suggest making sure you get 6 of those and you won’t have to worry about anything. Loving the rig and it makes streaming the Pinball Mafia weekly stream so much more pleasureable for us. We used to have so much gear and cables to move making us start to work so much earlier. It was a godsend for the tournament for sure!

I noticed you didn’t use any angle brackets in the picture above. Are you having any issues like we just did? I know it will work without any it’s just not as rigid.

We are also using the denser aluminium though? See Karl’s BOM up above. I can’t imagine anything bending on that unless you take a Thor like hammer to it!

Just to add - the one I built is super rigid…

Thanks Neil. We used the more rigid one as well. The real issue was what I listed above. If it took a bigger hit it might be an issue. I just don’t like flexibility in it. If it stays on nice smooth surfaces and never gets bumped it will be fine. After the shoe incident I wanted it a little more stiff.

1 Like

I have kind of lost the thread on which HDMI transmitters people are using. Which 3 are people using, and is there an preference between them. I am considering trying getting one for my playfield and using picam for player and score.

If using two or less at once, the monoprice ones are great.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=302&cp_id=10110&cs_id=3020104&p_id=16049&seq=1&format=2

If adding a third use this

Nyrius Orion Home Wireless HDMI… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPQJNTZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You’ll also need a splitter on the receiver end of this transmitter in order for it to work right.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=302&cp_id=30201&cs_id=3020102&p_id=15651&seq=1&format=2

2 Likes

You’re using the splitter as a joiner?

@kdeangelo said it splits out something that the transmitter is doing. Haha. Not sure. Just know that it doesn’t work without a splitter on the receiver end.

Ah misunderstood your post. The splitter is being used only for the nyrius transmitter

its adding in HDCP signalling otherwise you get nothing on the encoder. I got this one in the UK and it works with it also:

Is Anybody watching for any particular gear for Prime Day coming up?

1 Like

Also, which mounts are you all using for the mobile rigs?

1 Like

I ordered from this BOM - I’d personally recommend changing it to 6 of the 45 degree supports rather than 4.

The bottom was nice and steady when I was done, but the top has a little more wobble than I’d like. I am adding 2 more supports to correct that.

Can anyone recommend widgets for securing cameras and mics to the 80/20 bars?