Mobile Camera Rig: Plans and Materials

Yeah I think the BOM is short 2. I experienced the same. Maybe @spraynard can update for the 6 instead of 4.

Dammit I thought I updated that.

A “fix” is to only use two 45 degree supports on the bottom, one left/front, one right/back

1 Like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SIRAYX0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I find these perfect.
Easily adjustable and they hold the position firm

These particular clamps work great for the square 80/20

CAMVATE Camera Clamp Mount for… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018RMBCR2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

They are out of stock on amazon, but they have similar styles ones

Edit: not sure if that link works. Here is a similar one https://amzn.to/2Mms9hc

Karl,
Suspect your are super busy with INDISC but if you can post the BOM for your new lightweight stand I’d really appreciate it :smiley:

Thanks,
Neil.

I actually did make one out of 2x4’s since I have those on hand in the shop. 2 biggest things of note for me so far.

1. One leg was slightly warped. Before assembly it doesn’t look too bad. When assembled it’s bad enough that the lower parts of the upside down T are not parallel enough. This means that I have to flex it a little to get past the legs of a game. The back wheels are closer together than the fronts. I can fix this with a straighter piece of wood, but something to take note of.

2. My upper cross beam is cut to give a little space when over a standard body. Well, then a Future Spa came home. With the 80/20 frames as long as your cross section is wide enough you can loosen the fasteners and adjust the gap. A wooden frame bolted together isn’t as simple. I’ll probably end up cutting a wider upper cross beam to allow for use with wide games, but that might cause issues with narrow games if the games aren’t spaced really far apart.

Casters were simple though. I got some with threads and measured the major and minor thread diameters. I got a drill bit half way between, drilled out the lower beams, and threaded the casters right in. Nice and snug and very simple to do.

Hi all! It appears I made a major blunder when purchasing equipment for a home rig from 80/20. I never asked them to do the counterboring in the two tall vertical pieces. Now I have four straight pieces of extruded aluminum with no way to fasten them together. (There are no holes for the butt fasteners!)

I would hate to send all the vertical pieces back just to have them do the counterboring. I keep wondering if you guys know of some sort of alternate fastening technique that will provide the same or similar strength to the butt fasteners. It can be something scientific or something like a home remedy. I really do not know any machinists nearby, but if that’s the path to take then I’ll take that.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Which parts list did you order from? The original one at the top of this thread was designed to not require counterbores.

1 Like

Google around for a local 80/20 supplier near you. You should be able to drop the pieces off and have them drill the counterbores for you. (I’ve done this; I can neither confirm nor deny that I made the same mistake on one of my pieces.) Good luck! :slight_smile:

Hello Spraynard. Thanks for the list of materials and info. I run the HurryUpPinball YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzdHAPosu-ImTOht-WjUTAg?view_as=subscriber) and made a quick video tutorial on how to assemble this rig (video is roughly 7 mins). It includes a link to this forum for info and parts. I just wanted to make sure you were okay with me sharing the video since it is your design. I absolutely love it for streaming and it makes switching between machine so much easier. Figured it would help other who want to build this rig as well.

3 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

Thank again to Spraynard for the info and materials list for this amazing rig. I created a high speed assembly video in case anyone is considering building this rig or is looking for additional help in assembling it. It took me about an hour to assemble this rig start to finish. If anyone is having difficulty assembling it, let me know and I might put together a standard speed version if enough people need assistance. Here is a link to the assembly video.

3 Likes

Hi. I did not want to leave the team hanging. I ordered from a list that included the butt fasteners. I think I made a couple of minor errors with my order but I still got more than enough materials to finish the project.

My dad had a titanium drill bit for a standard drill press, and he was able to drill the holes in no time. Recommendation: USE TITANIUM or you’ll have a big mess. Or just take it to a machine shop. Or get 80-20 to improve their website.

Finally found a good usb powered LED light for these mobile rigs. No more dark games on tournament streams.

Neewer 2-Pack Dimmable 5600K USB LED Video Light with Adjustable Tripod Stand and Color Filters for Tabletop/Low-Angle Shooting, Zoom/Video Conference Lighting/Game Streaming/YouTube Video Photography https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T8FBZC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8PV83BQ8C7BRPGSB2FDV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

With the mono price 27k power banks these things will stay on for 7-8 hours

3 Likes

That 5V usb is clutch!

1 Like

Yeah these work great and I have one that wraps around the back of the rig and one that wraps around the front effectively getting the back of the game and the front. They aren’t very bright and you can position them so they aren’t bothering anyone.

hmm wish I’d seen that a while back. Xmas 2019 my pinside secret Santa (a very kind secret Santa I add) got me one of these - powerable by sony batteries or usb-c power pack.

I bought another one but what you posted looks great value.

What are the final dimensions with casters? Was thinking of building this but my ceilings in the basement are only 82 inches; imaginging with two 40 inch stacked 8020s that this is > 80 inches with casters?

The last parts list I posted should be under that I think. Can measure this weekend to verify. This one was designed in smaller pieces for easier storage/travel.

2 Likes

One thing. I placed two orders for the V3 rig from 8020 on the first of July and they are currently quoting a shipping time of 11/17 !!!