Mobile Camera Rig: Plans and Materials

I’m looking into building one of these for the local arcade. I can’t quite get what “Counterbores 7040 in A Left, 7040 in C Left” means as it doesn’t translate to what’s in the machining services on the website at the moment.

I updated the spreadsheet with the current options 8020 is using. Just pick butt fastener for all counterbores as that’s what the hardware being used is.

Also, alternatively you can use tnutz.com instead of 8020. They are a good deal cheaper in most cases. Finish quality isn’t as high as 8020 with some rougher edges/counterbores along with scratches on new pieces, but if you want to save some money go there.

1 Like

To all: Does anyone have a link to a simple hotshoe or standard thread mount that would go into the t-slot? I’ve used some clamps and they tend to work pretty well, especially when I need adjustability… but sometimes I want a low profile mount to take up minimum space.

For that matter… feel free to reply with any accessory mounts you’ve used that might prove useful.

I’ve used the following for the playfield camera:

Pedco UltraClamp Assembly Camera Mount Accessory for Cameras, Scopes, and Binoculars https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MS1RL8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_VMCHM2G16W7AM3E9C872?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

11" Adjustable Robust… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTFZSXZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

Thanks Erik… i like the clamp and swivel on that one. I’m also a big fan of the SmallRig mounts, which is mostly what I use.

Still trying to find a direct mount T-nut to hot-shoe or t-nut to 1/4 screw post. Just to minimize space. Maybe they just don’t exist.

1 Like

I got the swivel one to allow for the playfield cam to sit back off the crossbar more of a better view of the playfield and not be straight up and down. Allows to push the rig further up on the game to get the wheels past the front legs too.

1 Like

I use this setup in a few places, it is ok, but not great. I can figure out what the parts are if you care.

Or use the small rig with a slide in or drop in 8020 tnut

1 Like

Thanks for updating the spreadsheet. I just put in an order. Is it self-explanatory how to put this together? I’m assuming this is the rig you used at PATL? I really liked the black finish.

It should be mostly self-explanatory. There are only two different types of connectors. Always happy to help if you get stuck during assembly.

Yep, that was the rig I used at PATL.

1 Like

I just built two of them -really easy!

Neil.

Shipped from 8020 today. Much faster than I anticipated.

What batteries are everyone using? I want to ensure I get batteries that can be charged and used at the same time if we would have to resort to power at the tail end of a long day. I’m looking at the 20kmAh batteries from Monoprice. I was thinking pairing a camera and a transmitter per battery and have a fourth battery for lights and other things. Or is one battery per device a better strategy?

I got my box of parts. Besides one bolt being the wrong size I think everything is here. However, I do question the L and T junctions. There’s like a 2-3mm gap when I fit the 3095 into the mating profile. This creates a wobble. Looking at the machining description in the spreadsheet, isn’t it supposed to be “anchor fastener” instead of “butt fastener” at the L and T junctions? The screws are way too long and I suspect the machining is supposed to be much further up in the profile.

Edit: Ok, I found the answer to my own question. The diff is ~3.4mm or 0.134": http://literature.puertoricosupplier.com/073/RD72397.pdf Nothing an angle grinder can’t fix. :innocent:

Has anyone added a shelf to the rig that would be able to hold a laptop? If you have, please share a photo too!

Thanks!

@KevInBuffalo posted these on their discord.

I don’t have a photo of it atm but I modified a versatables monitor mount by adding a platter to the vesa mount to hold the laptop.

Would 2020 (3/4") profile work for this or would it not be sturdy enough?

Is this the latest BOM to use for creating the mobile rig?

Yes, it is the last one I put together. I would also look at https://www.tnutz.com/ as an alternative to 80/20 when pricing it out as they’re consistently cheaper and also ship out faster. Only downside is their finish isn’t quite as nice as 80/20’s.