This is a wiki - users can add more new info when the machine releases.
Info based on code v1.03.
Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast is Keith Elwin’s first ever design for Stern Pinball. Using graphics and cutscenes from the video game of the same name, Iron Maiden puts the player in the role of Eddie, battling against other Eddies, collecting their cards, and finding treasure along the way. This table may have a unique layout, but the rules are accessible for everyone from novices to more advanced pinball players.
- Gravestone Target: This nondescript target above the left inlane may not seem important, but hitting it with an alley pass can be extremely helpful. Making this combo will spot an “X” target during normal play or help you out if you’re in an Eddie Battle.
- REVIVE Spinner: A small orbit shot with a spinner in front of it, which feeds the bumpers. Shooting the spinner enough times will collect a REVIVE letter. This shot is difficult to make on the fly and can often lead to pretty bad drains.
- Orb Target: Target in between the REVIVE Spinner and the entrance to the left ramp. This target is important because it awards a Power Jackpot when lit and collects the Orb mystery award when lit, which can act as an add-a-ball at certain times. On the Premium / LE models, this is instead a captive ball shot.
- Bumpers: These bumpers block the left ramp, meaning the player has to make a precise shot to the left ramp to send it all the way around. The feed from the bumpers to the flippers can be very dangerous.
- Left Ramp: Tight left ramp shot that loops around and sends the ball to the left inlane. On the Premium / LE models, this is also where you will lock a ball for Mummy Multiball and collect Tomb Treasure when lit.
- Big Loop: An orbit shot that can only be made with the help of the upper right flipper. Although the shot is easier by holding up the upper left flipper, the game encourages you to make the shot without doing that with a higher scoring potential.
- Skill Shot Target: One of the four “X” targets scattered throughout the playfield. This target is special because it’s used for the normal Skill Shot and can award an Extra Ball when lit.
- Left Orbit: Orbit shot that goes around the back of the game and feeds the upper right flipper. There is a spinner in front of this shot. If Lock is lit, then a post at the back of the shot will raise and trap the ball behind a post.
- Captive Ball: This target is in between the left orbit and Sarcophagus. The rebounds from this shot can be difficult to predict, but it can be shot from either flipper - even with the upper left flipper if you’re precise enough. On the Premium / LE model, the ball that’s locked for Mummy Multiball is sent behind this captive ball.
- Sarcophagus: This is a unique jump ramp that leads to a target at the back panel of the game. The back panel target scores either 1x, 2x, or 3x depending on how close the ball hits the center of the target. There are posts that will trap the ball on the Pro model if this shot is lit for something.
- Underworld Scoop (Premium / LE only): When battles are lit, the center ramp will raise to reveal this scoop, which feeds the ball directly to the lower flippers. This shot is also used in a Premium / LE exclusive mode called “Can I Play With Madness”.
- Super Jackpot Target: One of the four “X” targets scattered throughout the playfield. This target is in a similar position to Rudy from FunHouse and scores a Super Jackpot when lit. This shot is most often made from the upper left flipper but it can be made off of a random rebound from the lower left flipper.
- Small Loop: A tricky orbit shot that can only be made with the upper left flipper. Because this shot is much harder to make than the big loop, this shot scores more during certain modes and advances to Loop Jackpots quicker.
- Drop Targets: A 3-bank of drop targets that can be made off of almost any flipper. When completed, they award the following (in this order): “Bonus X” (up to 50x), “Lite Orb” (plus advancing the Mystery level by 1), and “Lite Lock” (for Trooper Multiball, all 3 Locks the first time and just 1 Lock every time after. Can’t be collected during a Multiball round.)
- Right Ramp: Fairly steep ramp that curves around and feeds the right inlane. If the shot is too weak, it’s generally pretty easy to recover from the feed.
- Right Orbit: Opposite of the left orbit. This shot can also lock balls when lit and on the Pro model, it collects the Tomb Treasure award.
- “X” Targets: 4 targets with an “X” light in front of them, which qualify the Playfield Multiplier at an inlane when completed. There is one target near the pop bumpers, and a target near the Small Loop. The Skill Shot target and Super Jackpot target also count as X targets. Doing an alley pass to the Gravestone target also spots an X target.
- Outlanes: Traditional setup. Each outlane has a “REVIVE” light that lights solid when the feature is qualified.
- Inlanes: Traditional setup. There is a playfield multiplier light at both inlanes that can be alternated using the flippers.
At the start of each ball, you can select your soundtrack of choice. This has no effect on gameplay and is purely for the player to up the irons.
Standard Skill Shot
Soft plunge into the skill shot target to score a normal skill shot. This scores 1,000,000 points, one EDDIE letter, and adds 5 seconds of ball saver time.
Super Skill Shot
Hold the left flipper and plunge to the inner orbit. The ball will roll back down to the upper flipper. Shoot the Super Jackpot shot to score a Super Skill Shot worth 5 million points, a lit Playfield Multiplier, and 10 seconds of ball saver time.
There are also at least three Super Secret Skill Shots, but we’ll let you discover them on your own.
Hit features around the playfield many times to advance toward Power Features. The features are:
- Power Spinners
- Power Orbits
- Power Ramps
- Power Targets
- Power Bumpers
The remaining hits to activate a power feature are displayed on the left side of the screen. Once a Power Feature is activated, score more hits to complete the Power Feature and build the Power Jackpot.
Once a Power Feature is complete, the Power Jackpot is available to cash in at the the Orb spot target. You can instead complete another Power Feature to multiply the value of the lit Power Jackpot. The Power Jackpot can be multiplied up to 5x by completing all five Power Features, although there are other ways to advance the multiplier too (Mystery or Tomb awards). The Power Jackpot unlights if you drain before it is cashed in.
Cyborg Eddie Multiball ("? mode")
Complete all Power Features to activate Cyborg Eddie Multiball. During the Multiball, light all of the Pyramid Segments (spinners, orbits, ramps, targets, and bumpers) by hitting them each at least once to light the Super Jackpot at the Orb. Collecting the Super Jackpot also awards an Add-a-Ball for the first two times the shot is made. Every shot increases the value of the Super Jackpot and the multiplier also increases every time the Super Jackpot is collected. Starting this Multiball lights the Cyborg Eddie card, and scoring a 5X Super Jackpot nets you a Level 2 Cyborg Eddie card.
After completing the micro-wizard mode, the Power Features reset and increase in value and difficulty.
Eddie Battle Modes
Qualify an Eddie Battle mode by shooting white arrows to spell EDDIE. Then shoot the center Pharaoh shot to start the flashing mode. You are spotted two EDDIE letters for your first mode. As you complete modes, subsequent modes become harder to start by reducing the number of white arrows and not spotting any free letters. If EDDIE is not completed, shooting the left spinner will change the flashing mode. Once EDDIE is completed, the flashing mode is locked in.
Soul Shard goal: Collect the Super Jackpot
2 ball multi-ball.
Stage 1: destroy 4 fighters. Shoot blue arrow shots to defeat a fighter.
Stage 2: defeat 2 bombers. Shoot a ramp to lock on, then shoot the center bulls-eye shot to destroy a bomber.
Stage 3: defeat the ace. Shoot the strobing shot to lock on, then shoot the center bulls-eye shot within 5 seconds to destroy the ace.
Increased scoring from better accuracy on bulls-eye shots.
One add-a-ball is available from your first Mystery award shot at the Orb.
Fear of the Dark (this is the first mode lit in Competition Settings)
Soul Shard goal: Complete three spinner rips
Woohoo! A rip the lit spinner mode!
Four shots are lit with purple arrows. Completing any one of them lights the Spinners for a ton of points for one spinner rip (the REVIVE spinner scores 2x the value displayed). The more difficult the shot, the higher the base spinner value:
- Ramps = 250K.
- Big loop = 350K.
- Mini loop = 500K (and the weak mini loop initial return out through the L orbit does NOT count as your spinner shot. Bravo!)
When you rip a lit spinner, it will unlight after it stops spinning and is no longer available for the lit spinner points (similar to many Classic Stern lit spinner rules). You may get BOTH spinners going during one “rip” – but it’s very difficult to execute! Once your spinner(s) stops spinning, the purple shots relight and the sequence starts over. The mode is completed after your 3rd spinner rip.
After each purple starter shot, you may also choose to shoot the R ramp once to double your next spinner value.
There is an ego award for the highest amount of spins acquired in this mode.
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Soul Shard goal: Collect the Port and Starboard (Super) Jackpots
- Center shot is lit to shoot down the albatross and collect a hurry-up counting down (quickly!) from 1M. Shoot center shot to lock in this value as your MB Shot Value and start a 2-ball multiball.
- During multiball, one side’s shots (left or right) will be lit at a time. Shoot the lit shots to score your Shot Value (+500K increments) and move the lit shots toward the center, until the Ctr Ramp is lit for a bulls-eye shot. Progress is on a timer, so if you go too long without making another shot, your ship (and your shots) will be blown off course away from center.
- Shooting the lit bulls-eye shot will score a jackpot based on the sum of your shot scoring, and multiplied by your accuracy on the bulls-eye. If there are still non-Ctr ramp shots lit, you can continue shooting those to increase the value of your jackpot (the Ctr Ramp arrow won’t “move past” it by over-steering).
- One add-a-ball is available from your first Mystery award shot at the Orb.
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Soul Shard goal: Break free
Complete objectives in order as quickly as possible.
- Shoot any one orange arrow (3M)
- Shoot the captive ball (5M)
- Shoot another remaining orange arrow (3M)
- Complete all of the drop targets (10M)
- Shoot another remaining orange arrow (3M)
- Shoot the center ramp (10M + Completion Score)
Completion score based on how much time is remaining in the mode when you finish – I believe it’s 1M per second remaining.
There is an ego award for the quickest time the mode is completed.
Flight of Icarus
Soul Shard goal: Collect at least 20 million
Shoot alternating lit ramps, scoring 1M (+250K increment for each ramp shot, lit or unlit). Combo ramps on a 5 second timer for incremental multiplied scoring (ex: 1st combo at 2x, 2nd at 3x, etc).
Completing an Eddie battle mode will start a Soul Shard hurry-up at the center Pharaoh shot. Shoot the bulls-eye target to collect a Soul Shard. Soul Shards give bonus and increased scoring in the 2 Minutes to Midnight mini-wizard mode(?). They also light Tomb Treasure at the right loop (there are 10 of these to collect in total).
Collecting Soul Shards and other tasks lights the Tomb (Pro: right loop, LE: left ramp) to collect a Tomb Treasure. There are 10 different awards to collect in a set order:
- 15 Million
- Super Slings (slingshots worth 250k + 1K increment)
- Depends on which model you’re playing on:
a) Pro: Boost Power Jackpot 15M (adds additional 15M to current Power Jackpot)
b) Premium/LE: Can I Play With Madness (multiball; specifically makes use of the Underworld scoop)
- Super Combos (5x combos and deathblows for rest of ball)
- Light Extra Ball
- Light Revive
- Collect 2X Bonus - This 2X is multiplied by the current PF multiplier AND your current bonus multiplier so very large collects are possible here!
- +5x Power Jackpot multiplier
- 50 Million + Random Level 2 Eddie card
- Run to the Hills (super-wizard mode)
It seems that there are exactly 11 different objectives that will light a tomb award and repeating the same objective twice will not light another award (so you’ll need to complete 10 goals to start Run to the Hills).
- Fear of the Dark Soul Shard
- Flight of Icarus Soul Shard
- Aces High Soul Shard
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner Soul Shard
- Hallowed Be Thy Name Soul Shard
- Collect a loop jackpot
- Collect a 6-Way Combo
- Mummy Super Jackpot
- Trooper Super Jackpot
- Complete Number of the Beast
- Collect the “Level 2” versions of all 4 Eddie cards
2 Minutes to Midnight
The 6th Battle Mode is 2 Minutes to Midnight mini-wizard mode. Collect shot type for each song to light super jackpot at the Super Jackpot shot (from upper mini flipper). Scoring is based on how many points were scored on the modes and can be HUGE if you’ve played out your modes well.
Starting this mode awards an Eddie card. Scoring a Double Super Jackpot awards a Level 2 Eddie card. In order to score a double super and earn the card you will need to complete all the lit shots twice before collecting the super. If you instead complete shots, score super, complete shots, score super, the level 2 card will not be awarded.
After 2 Minutes to Midnight, the Eddie Battle modes reset and can be played again, but the difficulty of spotting EDDIE letters the 2nd+ time around does not reset.
Drop Target Awards
Complete the drop targets to collect the lit award. Sweep the drop targets to collect two times the drop target value (increased by hitting the Orb) and two awards at once. The awards in order are Advance Bonus X (maxes out at 50x), Light Orb, and Light Trooper Locks. The game starts with Light Orb lit as the first award.
Earn the “Light Lock” drop target award to light all 3 locks. Hit the green arrows to virtually lock a ball. For the first multiball, both the inner orbit and the right loop are lit to lock a ball. For subsequent multiballs, each Lite Lock award only lights one ball lock, and only one shot is lit for a lock. Lock 3 balls to start Trooper Multi-Ball.
Trooper is a 3 ball multi-ball. At the start, all shots will be lit for a 1x jackpot and will unlight when collected. Collecting 3 Jackpots lights the first Super Jackpot. Shoot the super jackpot shot to collect the super jackpot and relight collected jackpots with +1x scoring, while uncollected shots remain lit at their previous scoring level. Jackpot shot color progression denoting which shots are multiplied at different levels is reverse rainbow: BGYOR (blue, green, etc). Collecting all the lit jackpots will also reset all jackpots to the next multiplier level, but will not automatically score the Super.
Completing the drop targets will light the center ramp for a cannon shot (indicated by rainbow flashing arrow). You can collect multiple cannon shots in a single multiball, but once you’ve collected one you’ll need to collect a SJP before you will be allowed to light another cannon shot. A cannon shot grants these awards:
- Collects 1-3 lit jackpots (based on how close you are to a bullseye)
- Adds a ball (only on the first cannon shot of the multiball)
Trooper 4-ball multiball: Have both Trooper Lock 3 lit and Mummy MB one shot from starting. Shoot the L orbit, but graze the captive ball on the way in. Mummy will not start. Trooper will start as a 4-ball MB. Mummy MB will still be ready to start upon exiting Trooper MB.
Collecting a Super Jackpot will award an Eddie card. A Level 2 Eddie card can be collected by either advancing all Jackpots to 3x or scoring a single 5x Jackpot.
Shoot the Sarcophagus captive ball to spell MUMMY and light Mummy Lock. On the Pro this will be a virtual lock up the center ramp (and denoted by the green lock insert). On the Premium/LE, the lock is on the left ramp (and denoted by the arrow insert turning red). Spell MUMMY again at captive ball to immediately start Mummy Multi-Ball.
During Mummy MB, qualify jackpots at the captive ball via switch hits. Jackpot qualifications cannot be stacked, and the switch hit threshold increases for each jackpot. Each jackpot ball will spot a MUMMY letter. Spell MUMMY to light SJP at the Pharaoh Target (bulls-eye above Ctr Ramp). SJP value is multiplied for more accurate bulls-eye shot. For subsequent jackpot rounds, values are doubled, but MUMMY letters will be cycling, and hits to the captive ball will only score a JP when on an available letter.
Scoring the Super Jackpot awards an Eddie card. Scoring the level 2 Super Jackpot awards a Level 2 Eddie card.
Add-a-Balls are available by completing all yellow shots at a given level:
- Both ramps. (2)
- Both ramps and both orbits. (4)
- Both ramps, both orbits, both loops, center ramp, and Super Jackpot target. (8)
On the Premium/LE, after scoring a jackpot, you may re-lock a ball by shooting the left ramp (denoted by the red arrow insert). While the ball is locked, you will earn double switch hit credit. Hitting the captive ball will release the locked ball and score a 2x jackpot if you reached the switch hit threshold or a 1x jackpot if not.
Loop Feature/Loop Jackpot
Use upper flippers to shoot loops to build up and light LOOP JACKPOT. Loop awards are displayed in the big loop inserts, and are additive when more than one insert is flashing. Each loop scores the lit Loop Value plus adds that value to the LOOP JACKPOT, and increases the Loop Value by 250K, up to a max base value of 2.5M. The lit Loop Value will decrease over time (short timer) back to 250K. One shot to the mini loop lights the 2x Loop insert while the Loop Value is 500K or more; once the Loop Value decays back to 250K, the 2x Loop goes away. After shooting 5 (+2) loops, LOOP JACKPOT is qualified, the red LOOP JACKPOT lamps will light solid, and if the qualifying shot was via the big loop, the up-post will divert the ball to the mini flipper. Your progress toward your next LOOP JACKPOT is displayed on screen.
Once qualified, the red LOOP JACKPOT lamp remains lit solid until the first Loop Jackpot is collected, at which point the lamp will start flashing and a 12-second timer begins. During this period, each loop shot collects the Loop Jackpot, and each consecutive loop shot will score 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. the value of the Loop Jackpot.
- For your 3rd+ Loop Jackpot phase, you must not raise the mini-flipper to be eligible for the Loop Jackpot multipliers.
Loop Jackpot advancements are doubled if you shoot the main loop without the aid of raising up your mini flipper (holding the L flipper button), or tripled if you shoot the mini-loop.
Playfield Multipliers (PFx)
Shoot the flashing X targets around the playfield to qualify 2x Playfield scoring (2X orange insert lit solid). If 2x Playfield is qualified, complete the X targets a second time to qualify 3x Playfield scoring. Subsequent completions of the X targets with 3x qualified will increase the PFx timer.
Once qualified, activate the PFx by rolling over a lit Activate X inlane. Use the flipper buttons to toggle the lit inlane. The base timer for the playfield multiplier is 20 seconds. Hitting a flashing X target while the multiplier is active will add 5 seconds to the timer.
If you aren’t in a mode, alley passing from the right flipper through the left inlane into the Gravestone target will spot an unlit X target.
Completing a Super Skill Shot will immediately qualify your next PFx level.
Shoot the left spinner to spell REVIVE. Spelling REVIVE lights outlanes for a REVIVE outlane ball-save. The first time you spell REVIVE, both outlanes will light for REVIVE. Subsequent times only light a single outlane. Letters cannot be spotted while a Revive is still lit. Lit Revives carry over between balls.
Complete the drop targets to earn the Light Orb award. This lights the Orb target for a mystery award. Collect Light Orb again before collecting to increase the mystery level for better rewards.
Shatzing (alley passing) the left inlane to send the ball into the nondescript gravestone standup target will help you out with a running mode or multiball. If no mode or multiball is running, it will spot you one “X” toward your next PFx qualification.
Combos are based on unique shots and not on a timer. Repeating a shot ends the combo. Up to a 6-way combo is possible. Combo scoring starts at 250,000 for a 2-way combo and increases exponentially.
Ending a combo at different shots/targets awards a Deathblow, which scores points and adds to your bonus. Deathblow shots/targets: EB target, captive ball, bulls-eye, SJP target.
End of Ball Bonus
Bonus is scored as follows:
Switches × 3,500
Mummy Letters Collected × 25,000
Deathblows × 45,000
Loops × 50,000
Power Features Completed × 75,000
Soul Shards Collected × 250,000
Eddies Collected × 250,000
All values are multiplied by Bonus X multipliter. Increase Bonus X for the ball by completing the drop target bank for the Bonus X award.
Number of the Beast
Collect all 4 Eddie Card inserts to qualify Number of the Beast wizard mode. The 4 Eddie Cards require:
- Super Jackpot on Trooper Mutli-Ball
- Super Jackpot on Mummy Multi-Ball
- Reaching Cyborg Multiball (Completing the Power Pyramid)
- Reaching 2 Minutes to Midnight
- Untimed single-ball mode with 30-second initial ball save
- 3 shots lit with Red Arrows. Shoot any one of them to light Bulls-eye.
- Shoot Bulls-eye within 5 seconds to start Counter-Attack phase, otherwise Red arrow phase repeats.
- Counter-Attack: all shots lit Yellow for 10 seconds.
- Defeat the Beast with 12 Counter-Attack shots. You can requalify and repeat the Counter-Attack phase as needed.
- If you lose your ball, you lose your battle against the Beast and have to requalify all 4 Eddie cards again (except for those Eddie cards that you collected a Level 2 Eddie card). If you have all four Level 2 Eddie cards, you will immediately get to rematch the Beast if you have another ball.
- Defeating the Beast disables the flippers, drains your ball, then awards 50 Million plus re-awards the value of any Soul Shards collected earlier. Once the Beast has been defeated, it cannot be challenged again until Run to the Hills is played.
Run to the Hills
Mega-wizard mode awarded as the 10th Tomb Award. I assume Tomb Awards and NOTB reset after this mode?