What switches up the multiplier in Stay-Puft? The wiki just says " certain switches" .
The bumpers Mario, the bumpers.
I was wondering about that also, thanks.
I thought every hit to Gozer during choose the form of the destructor increased one of the multipliers by one. Select the one you want by hitting the shot.
I can try it out tonight and publish findings. Sounds like a fun thing.
The bumpers switch the shot that can be incremented. The Gozer target increments the shot selected by the pop bumpers. Once you hit a shot, you can no longer increment or select shots to be incremented and that is the shot that is multiplied, if at all. No other shots are multiplied after hitting that first shot, so if some other shot had its multiplier at say 4x, tough luck. Hopefully you hit the shot with the biggest multiplier first and hopefully that’s the left ramp . . .
The pipe dream is having a 6x playfield multiplier going stacked with Loopin’ Supers at some big value, Stay Puft multiplier at some big value on the left ramp during WCWSWKIA, and SFMB.
Had a bit of fun testing this out tonight on a GB Pro. Bumpers do indeed switch the selected Dementor/Shot and the Gozer target increases it by 1x. Highest value is 20x. At 20X I completed the mode for over 13Billion points (No PF Multipliers).
Thanks for the challenge. Was pretty fun.
Is there a way to extend the Stay Puft timer? I could see a lot of time wasted in trying to multiply a shot, and not having much mode time left.
Technically, the Gozer target increments the multiplier on the selected shot.
Once the multiplier is selected by you hitting a flashing shot, all the shots get that multiplier for the remainder of the mode. Assuming you got more than 1x on the shot. On early code, only that shot got the multiplier. Now, they all do. When picking a multiplier, pick the largest one, not the easiest one (time allowing).
In the second phase of the mode, all shots are lit for about 20 or 30 seconds. I’ve gotten 6x shot multipliers and nailed the left ramp over and over for 300M+ a shot. That’s one shot for more than the default replay value.
No way to increase the timer in the initial phase that I know of. And if you get greedy (going for 6x multipliers), you can run out of time and have to requalify the mode. Playing for fun, I try for the giant multipliers. Playing in league, I may take one shot at the Gozer target, then settle for the lousy 50M a shot.
Can’t stack WCWS with Stay Puft, but the other three stacked with PKE would be sweet. The game does lend itself to some nice stacks. I intentionally avoid SFMB early, just so I can stack it with something valuable later.
Post a pic
Look what we got here, a non-believer. FYI I tested with glass off so no pic in the name of research. Don’t believe it, try yourself.
I did not test for that but can when I visit the location next time if not answered before hand.
Yes, that is what I meant.
If that’s the case, then I don’t understand why there would be value in having a rule where switching the shot that can have it’s multiplier increased with the jets using the Gozer target would be in place since all shots have this multiplier. Furthermore, when looking at the DMD, I see various shots with different multipliers whenever the ball hits the Gozer target. This observation is on the newest code. I also observed getting less points on other shots than the multiplied shot.
The timer can be increased with the “add 10 seconds” jet bumper award. This also addresses Snailman’s question.
You’re right, WCWS would have to happen after Stay Puft ends.
The rotating multipliers made more sense on the early code, when only one shot was multiplied. Still, I like the rule change. The multiplier, once locked in, does count for all shots. Shot values increase slightly with every successful shot, but all are multiplied equally.
You still have to strategize. If you have the PKE ramp lit for 6x and the left ramp lit for 2x with less than 10 seconds left, you’re going to want to shoot the easy left ramp so you don’t run out of time and have to requalify. If in the same situation but with 20 or more seconds left, you’re going to want to try a couple of shots at the PKE ramp to get those 6x multipliers.
Often enough on the old code, I would accidently roll a ball into the left scoop while still trying to build the multipliers. That shot (or the PKE ramp) weren’t good shots to have multiplied during SP. You wanted a repeatable shot, like the left ramp or right orbit, multiplied. The rule change made it pretty easy to get all the shots to at least 2 or 3x.
Thanks all for the insight! I see now why Stay-Puft is such a desirable mode to get and multiply on top of the multipliers. Tough to get it in the pops and then hit Gozer. But fun challenge.
Dude. Idk the proper terminology, but on the machine i play on, the “tobin’s guide” / “extra ball” drop launch on the left side doesnt acknowledge that anything pops in. So i cant get slime/tobins/extra ball (after 30 ghosts captured) so i have to wait (during scenes) for the game to locate a ball. But i have noticed that magnets pull super hard to make you lose. God damn. Someone talk to me fo f trouble shoot plessee
Your switch isn’t registering in that scoop. Start there.
Posting here so I can bump this thread for the new code…
Highlights from the new code:
- Video mode skillshot replaced with “Collect 10 Ghosts”
- Cross the streams video mode value increased to 80M
- Hitting L captive ball twice now lights a single storage facility lock instead of all 3
- Loopin’ supers no longer stacks with anything
- PKE Frenzy can only be stacked with Mass Hysteria
- PKE Frenzy scoring nerfed
- Switching flippers on mass hysteria now increases JP value each time
- WRTBY totally reworked (MB where you have to collect 100 ghosts on a time limit)
- “Are You A God” wizard mode starts if you complete WRTBY
- You can now collect a top lane skillshot and a lower PF skillshot
- “K” skillshot now only lights one PF mult instead of both
- You can light a playfield multiplier at any time by comboing left ramp to gear targets or left captive ball (!!!)
- You can no longer loop the left ramp during WCWS (the last shot you hit turns off until you hit a different one)
- WCWS now awards a 100M jackpot after hitting a certain number of shots
- Stay Puft scoring nerfed a bit; also you can no longer loop the L ramp over and over in Phase 2 (similar to WCWS; can’t repeat shots)
- Stay puft multiplier rules changed; max is now 3x and gozer target is no longer involved
- In “Gozer the Gozerian” mode, the first phase now requires the R orbit to advance (instead of the R ramp)
- Mode shots can now be spotted in some cases by hitting the ghost target
- Add-a-ball no longer lit at the beginning of any MB
- Better lights and sound across the board
- Build Super JP value at any time via spinner
- Draining during a mode that isn’t the end of a ladder now completes the mode (modes will be lit at the beginning of the next ball)
- SJP value now maxes out at 30M
- SJP value now resets to 5M at the beginning of every ball irregardlessly
I never thought I’d say this… When can I come over to play some GB?