Game you like, game you hate (that you played at Pinburgh)

Shaq is a fine (awesome) tourney game imo. Read up on the rules - the 5k awards present an interesting alt scoring path with the hidden features bonus.

1 Like

2 5k collects is worth 10M in bonus per ball + good points up front, so I donā€™t see the issue here. :wink:

Many players do that and sit there taking forever to get nowhere. I nailed the spinner and got up into the standups as much as possible, obviously riskier but the only way to get the game to pay off. I will say at the end of my game I just need a few points to overcome someone elseā€™s score, so yeah, I rested on that strategy for a minute but decided it was too boring and played the game for max points instead, still won that game.

Liked: Deadly Weapon (it was at Replay but I didnā€™t play it in Pinburgh but it is different and fun)
also liked Mystic. Couple of Atlanta guys have one but I always lose on it. Blew it up on ball one and put in three solid balls this time.

Hated: Road Kings. Two house balls straight to the outlanes with no flip. Screw that game!

Oh yeah, there was also the game, canā€™t remember which, that gave someone else instant multiball and me 15,000 on a mystery award, thatā€™s BS in a tourney like this.

1 Like

Rocky and Bullwinkle? Saw a couple people get instant Tri-Ball as a mystery award, one on the first ball.

I thought hidden features only paid on ball 3? If this is true I might change my strategy to make sure I get #3 on ball 1 instead on trying to get #1 put together. Still I would be excited about the 5000.

by far the game i hated most was Heavy Metal Meltdown. what a hideous looking and hideous sounding game. it was full of bright LEDs constantly flashing in the playerā€™s face, with sound effects that managed to take the very worst aspects of deedly-deedly-deedly guitar wankery make them even more annoying by synthesizing them and playing the same 2 or 3 cacaphonous sound clips over and over non-stop. ugh. the game is like an aural seizure.

favorite game ā€¦ i dunno. GNR was surprisingly fun. donā€™t like the band, but enjoyed the way the game shot.

before i remembered Heavy Metal Meltdown, I was going to complain about any 1-player EM. I generally like EMs, but I think itā€™s too much of a disadvantage to go first on single-player games. you have no idea if youā€™re doing well or not, not just for the first ball, but for the full game. plus every other player gets to watch your full game before plunging a single ball. in addition to the competitive unfairness, itā€™s also less fun for the players to stand around watching other players for very long stretches. if youā€™re player 1 or player 4, you have to wait for 3 people to play their entire games while you stand around doing nothing.

1 Like

every reason you donā€™t like HMM is why I loved it. Iā€™m sure if I owned one Iā€™d get very tired of it though.

1 Like

There are lots of days when if you walk through PAPA HQ the only game turned on and being played is HMM.

11 Likes

hahaha woof

I would be happy just to spend my days walking around PAPA HQ, of course fixing and playing machines. :slight_smile:

Love motor show
Hate Andromeda

Like: The Rolling Stones (Stern)
Hate: Blackwater 100

1 Like

This is why you need to watch games on your bank outside of just your match :slight_smile: PinburghTip: Watch how the other games in the bank are playing BEFORE its your turn to play that game. Have other friends on the same bankā€¦ ask them how their game played.

Love: Dragon
Love/Hate: the Party Zone w/lightning flippers

Unfortunately, we were still learning how to do tournament game settings during the early/mid 90s. The ā€œTournament Settingā€ for Shaq Attaq did not disable the automatic Multiball feature that gives automatic Multiball to any player who has not played Multiball yet. That is why some players received a lock at the beginning of ball 3. Itā€™s my fault!

btw, the strategy for Multiball on Shaq is to try to relock all balls in the ramp. If you do so, the game will award you a Jackpot and light Super Jackpot when it releases all relocked balls.(So you get two quick shots at Super Jackpot. This will also find 1 hidden feature.

9 Likes

Where was all this deep Shaq info last week?? I was shooting baskets before the ramp in multiball like a dummy! :astonished:

2 Likes

Whatā€™s a good score on Shaq Attack anyway? I won my round with around 350 million, second place had about 300, and it dropped off a bit from there. The four player game BEFORE my match nobody had broken 100 million. Just remember on a premier, donā€™t overthink it, because the programmers certainly didnā€™t bother to. If thereā€™s a moving basket, shoot it. If thereā€™s a flashing ramp, shoot it. And if thereā€™s a hole/VUK, shoot it. Youā€™ll probably get a multiball.

I suspect our knowledge around the oddities of Premier rulesets is about to grow exponentially.

5 Likes

Just like me trying to figure out Big Hurt. After all the baseball related stuff didnā€™t seem to score much I just stuck to 50 mil orbits all day.

Also DONā€™T TILT BALL THREE. You score 10M per Frank Thomas Card collected in bonus on ball three, and you always have at least three. I won a point on this game with three no-flip balls because I ended up with 33M total game score. Meanwhile player four got to 30M but tilted ball three and got a zero.

2 Likes