Dialed In!

Like a bunch of others, I gotta say that the theme is a bit of a bummer for me, but the gameplay looks great. I don’t really like how WOZ/Hobbit shoot, but this looks like a lot of fun to flip on, and of course Lawlor is trying to push the envelope with an interesting and weird gimmick that might be a lot of fun. I wouldn’t be surprised if this one ends up being a bit of a sleeper hit once more people get their hands on one.

As a location player though, I’m a bit anxious that I won’t really see this one around. I dunno what ops would be interested in this with the lack of a license and the hefty cost. The selfie/phone integration seems like it’d be ideal for the raucous atmosphere you get at an arcade bar though.

2 Likes

Hearing the cellphone ringing on the video gives me phone anxiety! Imagine you’re a bartender and you have one of these next to you all night.

5 Likes

Sorry fanboys but how has Lawlor succeed in pinball designs in last 20 years? Road Show was last game that had “something going on”, NGG is a turd in home play (too repeatitive) and still too difficult on route. All I remember is Pat’s opinions about how pinball is dying what ever we do. Unfortunately with this kind of alignments from manufacturers, that’s true. Only those MB drivers has the money to buy new amusement game for home, only few operators will buy games with this kind of price tag to use in route (there’s no ROI for many years to come).

What comes to game itself, looking good as color/graphics but theme is bit lame. And I really don’t want to use smartphone to control the game, it’s too hard to find that 3rd button on WCS94 even :slight_smile:

I don’t agree. I like Gofers a lot, and don’t understand how it can be considered too repetitive and too difficult at the same time.

I like Family Guy’s playfield a lot, it’s got good action and shot flow. And, at the time, Lawlor’s Monopoly game was much better than what else had been made recently, a sign that Stern was heading in a good direction. I also thought Roller Coaster Tycoon has some cool shots and flow, though the left side of that game doesn’t work as well.

I haven’t played Dialed In, so I’ll happily listen to others’ opinions of its gameplay and form my own opinion once I can try it.

Also just my opinion: your post might invite better discussion if your message lost the first three words “Sorry fanboys but”.

7 Likes

Hi,

Point being about Gofers (I have hade one at home) is that its pretty much ramp-ramp-ramp-lock, repeat, start multiball, try to get Super jacpot. But I also had it on route on local bar where average Joe’s goes and they didn’t have a clue what they should do to lock balls etc.

I also have had two RCT’s those actually worked well in route but at home those sounds kills the will to live. Also rules are pretty shallow but layout is great! Lot’s of great shots, even average player like myself can get several shot combos. Monopoly I haven’t seen live ever so no opinion on that one, just assumption (=mother of all f**ups) that is’t not a killer because it’s certainly on the “wanted” list of anybody. FG and Shrek are okeyish, still bit hard to follow and lots of rules to understand to get into those so not very operator-friendly games. At home might be better off, especially if kids around.

Beginning was bit rough, sorry about that. English is not my 1st language… Just wanted to give heads up to all of you who glorifies PL that there is some critisism coming up. I really love PL’s production from late '80 to early '90 but after RS (which is bit underrated game IMO) nothing major hasn’t come out. CSI is ok but would not pay TZ or TAF prices of that one (where it sits in Finland at least what comes to price range).

1 Like

Very much agree with this, Gofers is a game that casual players won’t get far with. There are some fun goals and opportunities, like Ripoff and some of the hole awards, that keep things interesting, but casual players are very unlikely to get replays.

I don’t think Monopoly is on a lot of wanted lists partially because of its theme (who loves Monopoly that much?) and because it runs out of gameplay pretty quickly. Lawlor said in this era that he was deliberately making games with shallow depth to get wizard players (cough @pinwizj cough) off the machines on location. Of the PLD games, Family Guy and NASCAR have the most depth, though NASCAR’s depth is mostly superficial in that it has more modes. I don’t have much doubt that Dialed In will have plenty of depth, given what else we’ve seen from Jersey Jack.

Totally reasonable! In general I find Lawlor playfields to be interesting and creative, but the best games need a lot more than that, including the choreography of sound and art, and gameplay rules that play to both beginners and experts. It’s a crazy-difficult tightrope to walk. I’m hopeful this game, and all the new games presented at Expo, turn out awesome.

3 Likes

I did not know this, but boy does it make sense. That’s a shame, because his Sterns all seemed like they needed a little more time in the oven, I didn’t know this was by choice.

I really like the ruleset for Ripleys though.

6 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

I played a couple games on Dialed In at Expo. Nice flow to the game, good art and sound, some interesting new approaches with the top plastic shield, good use of magnets - - diverters rather than drainers - - but …

Well, the toys, phone and stuff just don’t add that much value to me as a player. In fact, I don’t care for machines that grab the ball, then go blah-blah-blah for 10-15 seconds before kicking the ball out to let you resume play. A few seconds, yeah, like Funhouse, but I don’t need a comic-faced spiel from some character on the pseudo-phone. All the tech adds cost, but not value for me. Bottom line is I won’t be buying one unless the price drops to $6K or so (i.e. not). It may be nicer than Kiss, but not that much money nicer.

5 Likes

sure seems unique, not sure how many people will get onboard to buy it NIB?

More pinball is always good, originality too, looking forward to play it on location but would definitely not take the 9k plunge here :slight_smile:

This is the Dad Joke of pinball games. It might be so absurd that it’s awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Money is all relative, and we will see how much Aerosmith Pro end up selling at but for me 9k is a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. 9k is 6k in 1996 and $7800 in 2006. That’s anywhere from 20-50% more than a new game cost in those respective years, adjusted for inflation. It seems like it must be profitable to be building pinball machines at an 8-10k price point, otherwise you wouldn’t see 6 or 7 pinball companies vying for your business at this time. It’s also worth noting that a game built in the UK, that is quite full featured, is nearly 3 thousand less. I have little knowledge of manufacturing, but find it hard to imagine Heighwey has access to less expensive labor, supplier costs, or some other magic savings that makes it easier for them build games at that lower price point and make money. :shrug:

2 Likes

I thought we were discussing pricing, not delivery schedules. If we are, then JJP was years behind on WOZ and Hobbit and lots of folks are still waiting for Ghostbusters many months later than they were told when ordering. This problem isn’t unique to any manufacturer.

You’re forgetting Stern, the leading manufacturer of pinball machines for the last 15+ years.

So, yes. $9k is really that high.

Between pricing and delivery schedules, the most important thing for THIS FORUM is how features of the game will be altered for competition play . . . or am I in the wrong place? :stuck_out_tongue:

(The f*cking with your flipper on Dialed In better have a setting to turn it off for competition play)

8 Likes