WPPR v5.8 sneak peek

and where will the min # of players for CERTIFIED EVENTS / MAJORS fit into that system split? or is Finals locked at MAX 100% in all cases?

does CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES EVENTS just count as Finals only? in that split system?

So that means the format I’ve played in internationally – where “remaining lives” from a Strikes qualifier are credited to you as match points in first round of finals – will no longer be allowed in this new definition of Finals?

Last year things were finalized December 19th:

1 Like

maybe if lives left = an ranking say if X number of players make the cut then top X get’s an buy?

But where will tiebreaker game / games now fit under the new definition of Finals?

This just came up on the Country Directors forum and I’m not familiar with this at all.

How does this work? Is this in lieu of where you would normally see byes? What happens if a player has so many remaining lives left that they are guaranteed to advance past the first round of finals?

4 Strikes event, with Final 8 going to finals (when only 8 players remain after a round).
Becker finishes with 1 strike, and in his semifinals group, he has:
Josh with 2 strikes
Shepherd with 3 strikes
Zach with 4 strikes (he won the tiebreaker among 3 players all knocked out in the last round, leaving only 7 players, so tiebreaker determined the 8th seed)

Playing a PAPA-style 3-game semifinals, 4-2-1-0. Prior to even playing their first game, the match points are as follows:
Becker 3
Josh 2
Shepherd 1
Zach 0
These points get added to whatever each player earns in the three 4-2-1-0 games to determine who advances to the Final Four.

No byes.

@Tobstar79 might be able to explain it better.
I think it’s actually an elegant way to differentiate between strikes performance, when you’re not taking a Strikes tourney to its natural end, and instead, cutting it off early to have a separate finals.

Seems like a kind of “Bye-lite” . . . I can dig it.

3 Likes

This guy capslocks :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Checking my math on NYCPC. We have 40 finalists, 20+ hours of unlimited qualifying, and 7 games that counted this year toward a player’s qualifying score. 40 finalists with 3 games/round = 100% TGP + 20 hours of qualifying 20% TGP + 7 games at 8% each 56% TGP = 176% TGP * certified plus 150% = 264% TGP

So our main tournament champion would have earned 170.15 WPPRs instead of 77.34 WPPRs.

1 Like

Just want to make sure I’m parsing this correctly. Do you mean:

1. Events that have a format with separate Qualifying and Finals portions, i.e. you can have strikes qualifying, reduce the field and then have strikes finals.
    OR
  2. Events that have different formats for the Qualifying and Finals portions

@gammagoat 's question got me confused.

Ha wait so did the Sanctum 24 hour go from getting an extra +50% to going back to only being able to get 100? And now an event with finals can get 200%, which can be combined with either 125, 150, or 200 booster? Does that make IFPA worlds 400%? Trying to keep up here

Correct.

1 Like

#2.

Correct.

Correct.

Correct.

what if you have an event with 3 or more formats that after each format X% of players are out does each part count as it’s own? or is it only main and then playoffs?

What counts as an different format from main to playoffs and what does not count?
I think like flip frenzy pinball for main and then some kind of bracket for at least 10% of the players counts as differnt?

But what about flip frenzy pinball for X hours and then an 30 min round for the players that made the cut?

Can you have match play of X rounds and then with the cut field to do match play for way less rounds?

Can you have X rounds with 1 game per round and then for finals do 2-3 games per round?

Can you have match play of X rounds and then with the cut field to do groups 4 say 1-2 game with the top 2 moving on till you get to the last 4 that will play an 2-3 game round of match play?

Can you do some thing like round after round in an 24 hour and then take the top 8 / 10 % and have them play 1-2 rounds of match play to get the 8 picked?

Target match play and then non target match play for X rounds for the people who made the cut?

1 Like

I will answer all 10 of these questions in person the next time I see you at Enterrium.

6 Likes

If by “some kind of bracket” you mean ‘not flip frenzy’ then that is different.
Maybe if you could explain what the word different means to you it would help readers understand your question.

If that 30 min round is not flip frenzy then it is a different format.

If your “match play of X rounds” and your “match play for way less rounds” are both “match play” format then they are not different enough to qualify as “different” in the WPPR v5.8 context.

Clarity Question:

• 7 Rounds of Match-Play Qualifying
  • 16-Player 3-Game PAPA-Style Finals (16 → 8 → 4)

Are these considered different? They’re both Match Play, but one has elimination.

What is the ifpa definition of different format?
Yes doing flip frenzy and then an not flip frenzy playoff bracket is differnt.

But is doing an shorter round different or not?

But for stuff like match play that is more then one different way / format of doing that.

So can you have different formats of the same basic format or must it be like pingolf for the main part and then match play playoffs?

You nailed it in the last word of you post . . . “elimination”.

This is the key distinction that makes “Finals approved”.

1 Like