WPPR v5.8 sneak peek

You are talking about two different metrics.

The total value of an event will be made up of “TGP” X “EVENT WEIGHT”.

Certification (for Match Play at least) requires 40 meaningful games for TGP for the qualifying portion, plus finals (assuming normal PAPA style 3 game rounds) is another 21 meaningful games for TGP. 61 meaningful games in total for this.

1 Like

I see so if I run the matchplay event you just spelled out and it met the certify requirements I would have an event worth 225% value? 150% TGP times the 150% certification boost?

Sorry. Just saw you and Ray already covered this.

Yep. We do two shifts.

I believe many of the insanely large Euro tournaments do something similar where the field is broken up into qualifying groups at a more manageable size based on the number of machines available to play.

For the 20 hour requirement, let’s say I wanted to do an limited best game and give everyone 24 entries for 12 games.

Can I split the field into qualifying blocks of 10 hours each of there’s space constrain concerns? As in, group A of 64 players goes on Day 1 for 10 hours, and group B of 64 players goes on Day 2 for 10 hours?

also let’s say all entries are played before 20 hour requirement is hit does it still court as 20 hours?

Negative. The idea behind having 20 hours of open qualifying is to give players 20 hours of time to complete those tickets.

Taken to the extreme you couldn’t make 10 groups 20 players and give each group 2 hours to complete their tickets.

TPF Main has >20 hours of qualifying. It will be Certified in 2023.

BUT IF WE HAVE NINE WOMEN WE CAN MAKE A BABY IN ONE MONTH

3 Likes

How does the Canadian Pinball Championships in 2019 not get on that list it was one of the bigger tournaments that year. Blame Canada.

1 Like

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=30023

Only 104 rated players participated. The WPPR v5.8 rules require 128 rated players for certification.

Damn thought we had more that year interesting. I do like the changes as the level of effort in creating these multi-day shows is significant.

1 Like

My theory here is that not every single event can and will max out. The point of these changes is to make a few larger tournaments worth more since in theory you would be playing against “better” a player and more players. I don’t think these changes are meant for every place to get a boost in WPPR because then isn’t that just inflation?

I don’t think this change is meant to harm any event or for everyone to change their tournament style. I think this is a balancing update to help reflect rankings and skills more accurately.

I could be wrong but it makes sense to me. I understand that by me going to those larger events(Top 100, The Open, nationals and states) makes sense that they are worth more since you’re playing with better players who showed similar skill throughout the event. I am not sure what the issue is with a bonus to state events.

well state playoffs should not give an boost / count for next years points. What other sports do that where you get an standings boost for next year just for making the playoffs?

That’s a logical point. I see where you’re coming from. I view it as a bonus for doing well over a year and an incentive to play in your own state since a lot of people travel out of their home state to play in another. Sort of like being invited back to defend your state title. I see it both ways, it wouldn’t matter to me if it was worth points or not.

I’m sure it doesn’t affect standings as much as some would think too. With being able to take your top 20 events, it might not even chart for your state rank at the end of the day.

bu

Even then the round after that should not count for the state it’s hosted in / should be even split over all the states that fed it.

stern pro / others that are fed multi state same way.

Golf? Tour Championship and Sentry Tournament of Champions earn World Ranking points even though they are closed-field events, which feed into the ability to qualify for events in the following season.

5 Likes

World Ranking points ok but PGA points?? and do they have an season line?

Tour Championship - No
Tournament of Champions - Yes

• Players qualify for 2022 Tournament of Champions by winning a 2021 event
  • Cameron Smith won 500 FedEx cup points for the 2022 season for winning that count for 2022 standings

1 Like

I thought FedEx cup did it but I couldn’t confirm. I agree with it since I do always relate pinball to golf with a lot of things. Thanks for confirming it was bothering me haha.