WPPR v5.8 sneak peek

Ok, here’s one more attempt; it’s not quite a Frenzy, but it’s also not Match Play…

I added a “Game start timing” to my “choices available” post above.

Head to Head Rolling Start
Progression: Both players move back to the waiting list after every game
Player selection from the waiting list: Balanced (or configurable to Random)
Game start timing: Waves (synchronized starts once the waiting list reaches a certain size)
Wave size: 3 games (6 players; favoring players with the fewest games)
Wave trigger: 9 players in waiting list (to give some randomness to the pairings)
Ending trigger: a player is not added back to the waiting list once they have played the target number of games
Automatic tiebreaker: head to head record if not tied and not cyclical between tied players (or configurable to No tiebreaker)
Scoring: Wins (the possible bye for the player who could not be paired for their final game does not count as a win)

next.matchplay.events definitely gives the option to have byes count as 0 points in head to head match play. Maybe that option is not used in practice though?

That’s the situation I was referencing in this part:

Has the baseline TGP been updated somewhere to show up to 38 TGP yet. As in how many strikes and/or rounds of match play and how many players does it take to get to those TGP’s over 25. I’m starting to plan tournaments for next year and want to be accurate.

We haven’t gotten those numbers done yet. I would recommend just throwing some samples into this calculator and you’ll get an idea of where it’ll be landing:

https://strikestgp.slapsave.com/

Josh

1 Like

Just caught up on all these posts. Then things have gone quiet, so gotta stir it up some more. So now to follow-up on the match-multiplay format I had created years ago for NWPAS, I’m going to announce the new multi-flip-frenzy 10-strike farm weekend! It leverages every loophole at once to get 500% TGP!

Either that, or I picked the right time to step down from running tourneys and will let everyone else figure out the new loopholes. :smile:

2 Likes

We’re taking advantage of the “everything is subject to change” before v5.8 officially launches, while also seeing if we can get this thread to 1000 posts.

Some TGP tweaks as discussions continue to happen:

• Events that do not have a separate Qualifying and Finals format will continue to have a maximum TGP value of 100%.
  • Events that have a separate Qualifying and Finals format now have the ability to grade out to a maximum TGP value of 200%. Please note the Finals format must include a minimum of 10% of the participants to be eligible. Previously 25 meaningful games played at 4% each would hit that 100% max. This will now be 50 meaningful games played at 4% each to hit this new 200% max.
  • Tournaments that run an UNLIMITED Best Game/Card qualifying format with a minimum 20 hours of qualifying time, will have those qualifying games counted at 2X value (8% increase to TGP for each game included in the qualifying standings).
  • Updated TGP rules for Target Match Play qualifying. This will be based on the average number of meaningful games played for all qualifiers. This will forever be known as the “Escher Lefkoff rule”.
9 Likes

So must be an differnt format? or can it be something like pin golf for Qualifying and then pin golf for group that made the cut for Finals?

It’s just like anything that has some from of Qualifying and then takes an number of people and does an finals?

So things like the 24 hour battle will not count as they don’t really have an finale and the so called finales they do have takes less then 10%?

For that 10% round up or down? how does buys count?
say 90 people then must take at least 9 but that is odd so you need to go up to 10 also what about 85-90 that gets you like 8.5 or higher so round up to 9?

Correct.

Correct.

Correct.

Minimum of 10% with no rounding help.

1 Like

Was there ever a thought of just making 50 TGP the new 100%? With all of these increases looks like the new number one might be at 2000 points now.

1 Like

pin inflation friend! I hear there will a WPPR “split” in the future to attract more investors :smiley:

10 Likes

Which WPPR investment is paying a sustainable dividend?

the Lefkoff one has solid fundamentals :smiley:

1 Like

This feels like it is just asking TDs to invent stupid finals formats. Here are some suggestions:

• 10% play 1 game best game of high hand
  • Death Ladder. 4p ladder, 1 advances
  • 2p ladder of 1 ball stars
  • 30 min flipper frenzy finals with 10% if players.

Something like 24h using Swiss seeded Matchplay (seeing how it emulates an elimination bracket) is essentially a finals mathematically speaking. Would drawing a line at 10% at hour 20 which people can’t cross and calling it an A/B finals really make better.

I guess an event like 24h could split into 50% A/B at the 12h mark. It would just make the middle a little messy in the middle but probably not substantially change the event.

Why play 1 game when you can play 1 ball? You’re not being stupid enough :slight_smile:

We’re happy to give the TD’s latitude here and see how it impacts the changes to formats. Starting it as a ‘check the box’ is just a start.

I can see a future where we change 10% to 20%. I can see a future where we separate out the Qualifying TGP and Finals TGP, each with their own 100% maximum TGP available.

All of that will be something we analyze to see if it’s something that is further needed to help balance out that value for quality metric.

We feel there are no silly finals, even a finals with 10% it creates drama at the end and also eliminates a run away winner where final qualifying rounds could be already decided before they are played.

There is currently no requirement that finals reset standing right, so you could continue as MP with the same runaway as long as you cut the field

That is a requirement.

A Finals format represents a distinct separate portion of the tournament or league final where the previous standings of players are no longer used in the advancement of those players throughout the final. The qualifying portion will simply seed the players, offer byes, etc, but will not have an impact on how that player continues to advance in the event.

1 Like

do it at like hour 23.5 and then have the 10% do an round of MP? with them paying all top 8 / 10%?.
or do it after the hour 24 cut off?

Question: when will things be finalized for us schmooze running events and leagues so we can make plans.

1 Like

and where will the min # of players for CERTIFIED EVENTS / MAJORS fit into that system split? or is Finals locked at MAX 100% in all cases?

does CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES EVENTS just count as Finals only? in that split system?