Was at the premiere last night - there was Q&A afterwards with Robert/Maurizio, and Nathan/Jeff (the directors).
For anyone interested, the question/answers I recall: (wording's likely inaccurate)
Q: Roberts Favorite Machine?
Robert: Twilight Zone.
Q: Were (the directors) pinball players? How did you become aware of Robert?
N/J: Weren't pinball players. A friend of ours, brennan, who's also mentioned by Mac Demarco in the film, played pinball in Vancouver, and told us about Robert. We went and met the family, and played pinball for a couple hours, first time we had really played. After two years we've gotten a bit hooked, I'm trying to buy a machine now... (audience laughter)
Q: There's a Mustang out in the lobby arcade, have you played it?
R: owns one, but hasn't played this one.
Maurizio: Robert was playing one at a friends yesterday, and reached the wizard mode ball one.
Q: What misconceptions would you hope people change about autism?
R: Passed the question to Maurizio
M: Started answering about Robert not being stressed, how he actually gets very worked up, choked up and had to pass the mike.
N/J: Misconception about being anti-social. Robert is a very social individual.
Q: For Nathan and Jeff, were you guys watching the Papa world champ stream, and can you describe your response.
N: we weren't actually watching - Jeff was in (...) working on a different project, and I was in Oakland at a friends. I got a call from Maurizio that Robert had made the final 8, and told him to film what he could if Robert made the final four. We had frozen the movie a few days before, so had to contact our editor to tel him we were going to have to re-open the movie. Two weeks before we were due to show... (Auditorium burst out laughing). Nathan named and thanked a bunch of editors/sound, etc. for helping them pull that off last minute.
- the pinball community I think comes out looking pretty good.
- Robert's IFPA Nationals victory is left out of the film entirely.
- perhaps this might have been the original conclusion of the film, and the late edit didn't leave time to place it elsewhere in the film?
- I really like the game footage shown. You can catch an example in the trailer.
- There's a line in the film from Robert surprised about a successful musician (Mac Demarco) being interested in pinball. Ed Robertson was at the premiere.