Wizard Mode TONIGHT at 8PM EST

Have you looked into using a proxy ip?

Where is the tiki-ish looking location with all the solid state and em games thatā€™s featured in the film?

Thatā€™s the Fraser Valley Flipout.

1 Like

I also want to buy this but canĀ“t. :frowning:
LetĀ“s hope they make it available to the other 95 % of the worldĀ“s population as well.

ā€œI know those restrictions are there for a reason, but I was really looking forward for this doc for a long time.ā€

What reasons could that be?

/Mats

Maurizio wasnā€™t video recording at PAPA 19 either. As far as Maurizio knew, the film was ā€œdoneā€. I was sitting beside him when he got the text from the producers who asked him to ā€œStart Filmingā€ when Robert was doing well in the finals; they told him if Robert wins this, they will do a last minute edit of the film. So Maurizio starting filming. Those last minute additions from PAPA 19 were filmed by Maurizio. You could not have asked for a more timely fairy-tale ending to that movie.

3 Likes

Because that was the one local tournament, the video crew was there the entire weekend. I think they played the full 40+ hours of footage in 40 seconds!

The possible reason for a region restriction could be a pending deal with, letā€™s say, a European distributor who wants to show the doc in theatres or wants to release a dvd/bluray.

Anyway, you could use a VPN Tunneling service like Tunnelbear to access the movie. Super easy app for pc/mac. Itā€™s free for the first 500mb. Activate it, buy or rent the movie and than disable or uninstall tunnelbear.
Once you have bought the movie, you can watch/stream it from any location in the world

1 Like

My wife and I did joke though that my brother was a total asshole :slightly_smiling:

haha, I think you explained it right. Maybe it is what they were going for as representing the difficulty of the social interaction and queues. I think I noticed Cayle being on the same ā€œtrainā€ as Zachā€™s in the video too :slightly_smiling:

I think they werenā€™t necessarily being dismissive of Robert, just to busy thinking about their tournament. I generally donā€™t talk to people during matches because I donā€™t want to distract them or myself.

I just finished watching the documentary and really enjoyed it. Fantastic job by Robert and all those involved!

2 Likes

Documentary or unscripted television editors are going to use everything that happens in the footage or within an interview to make a deliberate positive or negative tick in the course of a narrative.

I havenā€™t seen the movie (canā€™t wait), but one should always think critically regarding a characterā€™s portrayal in a documentary. Unscripted producers are going to distill an individualā€™s feelings and opinions to something very simple to understand. Iā€™m sure Wizard Mode is as nice as they come, but Iā€™ll be interested in seeing how they create conflict or the sense of an antagonist. King of Kong certainly figured out how it was going to do that.

1 Like

The antagonist seemed pretty clearly to be the pinball machines and Robertā€™s high expectations on his own performance. Which seems just about right to me :slight_smile:

9 Likes

SPOILER ALERT!!

I was looking forward to watching and seeing if the ending was changed :laughing:

I buckled and used a VPN. For anyone else region restricted, the simplest way I found was to use the new (development) version of Opera browser available from http://www.opera.com/developer

This has free and unlimited use VPN built in. In Opera navigate through Menu/Privacy and Security to enable the VPN. Then browse to a website and switch region using the VPN button near the address bar.

Really enjoyed the film. Robert and the pinball community come across really well I thought. Hope it finds success beyond the pinheads :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip! Iā€™ll use this too, much appreciated.

What are peopleā€™s opinions of this as less a movie for pinheads and more just a rad human interest piece? Usually have a hard time convincing the fiancee that anything remotely pinball related might reel her in for other reasons, but I think thatā€™s just me.

I freaking loved it, though. People would also be wise in checking out Tommy Skinnerā€™s interview with Robert and one of the producers on the most recent episode of This Flippinā€™ Podcast.

2 Likes

Well I finally made time to watch it and I really liked it. Girlfriend watched most of it with me and she thought it was nice, too. Of course she thought Robert was cute.
Amazing, I was expecting the Papa 19 stuff to be just a little epilogue, but it really didnā€™t seem like a last minute addition if you didnā€™t know.
Yeah, I thought the stuff with Z. Sharpe played a little harsh, but it helped the movie, so thatā€™s cool.

1 Like

Now available to purchase on DVD - Iā€™ve got a copy, although I canā€™t remember where I got it from - legally I might add.

3 Likes