Why is there so little fanmade material for pinball?

AFM was December 1995; Mars Attacks was December 1996. Way too close for the movie to be inspired by the pin, unfortunately.

1 Like

In turn, Mars Attacks! began as a set of trading cards whose first set was printed and sold in 1962. The Tim Burton movie was adapted from those trading cards. Attack from Mars, to my knowledge, is an original IP from people not familiar with Mars Attacks!, and its naming was a coincidence.

3 Likes

Might be worth noting that while Mars Attacks (the film) was released in 96, it was based on trading cards originally printed in the 60s, then extended with additional cards in 94. So AfM ends up sitting between the 94 Topps release of Mars Attacks, and the 96 film.

That does make me wonder if there was intent to pursue a license at some point, or at the very least inspiration for AfM pulled from the Topps series.

3 Likes

The IPDB page for AFM has this to say on the subject:

According to George Gomez, Attack from Mars was not originally inspired by the movie ‘Mars Attacks’ as is commonly suggested.
According to Gomez, Brian Eddy had the concept long before the movie and it is mere coincidence that they emerged on the market within a year of each other.

I suppose it’s possible that Eddy had the Topps cards on his mind at the time, though I personally wouldn’t say it’s likely.

2 Likes

AFM Martians have four arms and MA Martians only have two. Not even close.

My favorite game and one of my favorite movies. It’s all good.

3 Likes

The serial number sticker on AFM actually says “Mars Attack” (at least on mine; early production version).

1 Like

is this a place for us to drop the dumb things we’ve made?

B A O (also yes.)