Why is there so little fanmade material for pinball?

We also just have a smaller fanbase than most other media that tends to inspire fan content. I’m sure as the popularity of pinball grows the amount of fan content will grow in stride. Just wait and before you know it you’ll be seeing things like “Lionman and the Cumming of Da Guards: A Swords of Fury Tale” popping up on AO3 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just dropping by with an excerpt from an issue (the only issue?) of Big Bonus, a Portland pinball zine.

5 Likes

Spooky Pinball did a multi-part Adventures of Lionman radio play on their podcast, with the blessing (and maybe involvement?) of Doug Watson, artist of Swords of Fury. IIRC, Doug was playing D&D regularly around the time he did SOF, and there’s a whole back story for Lionman.

Usually I can’t read or hear fanfic without feeling vicarious embarrassment for the creator(s), so I haven’t heard any of the Spooky thing.

1 Like

We have a dramatic pinball poem in Episode 4 of the Pinball Map podcast.

1 Like

I know this topic is old, but I’ve seen a couple pieces of fanart worth sharing:

“Dr. Dude” by kevinbolk

“‘Stop Messin’ With Da Clock’” by u/Warbotter

3 Likes

A locally well-known illustrator did this for 614 magazine here in Columbus back in 2015. Not sure if I would call the artist a pinball fanatic though.

2 Likes

That’s why it’s time to stan pinball MECHANICS not characters/IP! :wink:

TEAM CENTER BUTTON has a facebook group and will someday have tshirts once I/others get more time. Star Wars shot multiplier + movement is the best “new” mechanic ever ™.

I’m sure there’s also going to be Lighting Flipper / Zipper Flipper aficionados and you can of course always group peeps by EM / SS / DMD / LCD displays. I know there’s ppl who <3 their spinners / ramps…I think everyone hates pop bumpers and slings though.

1 Like

Nah fam, action button mashing is where it’s at.

I’ll admit there are times where I honestly don’t like the center button. Most of the time I don’t mind it, but I’m never fond of mechanics that demand you push it while playing the game (particularly the Magna-Save in Black Knight: Sword of Rage and the mashing in POTC, Star Wars, and so on). For Magna-Save in particular, I think it’s a poor replacement for a second right flipper button (earlier Black Knights, Rick & Morty).

I suppose that’d make me an anti in today’s nomenclature? :stuck_out_tongue:

My favorite uses of the action button in all honesty are ones where you have to use it during certain features of the game rather than at any time. JP2’s Smart Missile and changing what the award will give you, AIQ’s Mind Gem changing the drop targets and placing gems during Change Gems, etc. Even JJP POTC has a fun integration of this where when you shoot the lit Black Pearl lock, you have to press the action button at the right time to defeat the ship.

It’s ok not everyone wants to be on Team Center Button ™.

I do need to update my tier list for Center Button games though with all these new games.

FTR I do love mashing the Center Button even if it does mean it wears out quicker…

I commissioned BradAlbright to do this logo for our regional group of friends.

2 Likes

Very nice!

Love the colors - are they glow in the dark?

I was just talking to a friend about how all the new games are all based on some type of Entertainment IP and that I would love to see more original games based on original characters, or just weird stuff a la “Future Spa”. Do all games have to be based on a movie now?

1 Like

Not “all”. American Pinball’s games have themes that aren’t the cookie-cutter bands or movies: Houdini, Oktoberfest, Hot Wheels, and Legends of Valhalla. Same with Multimorphic and some of the smaller manufacturers.

3 Likes

We need more of that

1 Like

Unfortunately, the market disagrees. Take Multimorphic for example, they have probably sold more games since announcing that a licensed theme is coming (without even announcing the title), then they did with their great original themes.

2 Likes

Im sure that’s why - but I just like games like Silverball Mania and Skateball and I wish that it was more of a trend to do more creative themes than just merchandising corporate IP - some of the oddball games are the best!

1 Like

Which came first Mars Attack or Attack from Mars? May not be a fan made material but maybe the movie writer came up with it after playing AfM?