What's this move called?

On a ST? I don’t know if I’ve tried the titans yet, but if you can post pass with them, that’s a start. Not being able to post pass on ST is huge.

Man, we need to burn all these alternate rubber rings in a hellfire…

2 Likes

Back to black factory rubber rings? No thanks.

RED standard rubber!

1 Like

HAPP rubber or PBL rubber? Not all Reds are the same.

There’s an even better natural color flipper rubber that falls between red (all flavors) and black on the hardness scale. It’s also much more consistent in hardness than all the different shades of natural red rubbers. Because only one supplier currently shows them in stock, I’ll just say that the color looks awesome in Tron or BSD and the supplier that has them in stock is a supplier you might use if your pinball life depended on it. (DON’T BUY THEM ALL DAMMIT! d;^)

Who cares what color rubbers are?? Like, my underwear doesn’t match my shoes and I’m fine with that!

It’s not really about the color, it’s about the durometer, or hardness, of the rubber. The harder rubber is (the higher the durometer), the less bouncy it is. Less hard (lower durometer) = more bouncy. Traditionally, red rubber is almost always more bouncy than black rubber. Higher bounciness (lower durometer) generally equates to more ball action and more fun.

If there’s a physical-science or other historical reason why red rubbers have had lower durometer than black rubbers, I don’t know what it is, but regardless it seems to hold true for all the traditional rubber vendors. (For new-fangled bands like SuperBands, I don’t know that there’s any meaningful difference in durometer across the different colors.)

2 Likes

From what I recall reading at some point in the past, it has to do with the amount of ink required to color the rubber. More ink makes for a harder product, so darker rubber should technically be harder than lighter rubber. I imagine there are exception to this though.

My bad, Joe.
I was bellyaching about superbands. My understanding is that lots of the cosmetic modder folks get into them because of the selection of colors and getting them matchy-matchy to the game’s color scheme.
If Real Pinball Rubber came in hundreds of fashion colors independently of durometer, I wouldn’t have anything to say about it.
Another example of me having a bad attitude!

I have been trying to temper my outlook by telling myself that tennis players must play on different court surfaces, and that most young players must start out with a strong preference.

Titan silicon rings are great. Very bouncy like regular rubber. They wear much better than regular rubber and the colors look great.

Not being an owner/operator, I’m not privy to which non-rubber rings I’m playing on, but I’ll admit some are obviously superior to others.
Breath, I enjoyed being eliminated from the losers tourney with you at pinburgh. Good times…

I was just watching the new PAPA Tron tutorial, and I remembered this old thread. @bkerins seems to call it a pop up: http://pinballvideos.com/?v=1019&s=386

Just saw this and came here to post it. I’m not sure how I feel about that name. I like ‘rolling backhand’ personally.

While on topic, is there a name for this move here http://pinballvideos.com/?v=1019&s=1252 in the same tutorial, where a ball going up the flipper a bit too fast is flicked back to that same flipper? Like a hop over, only it hops back instead of over?

You could call that one the “whoa Nellie”

I want to understand what is meant here. If I tap the flipper on a trapped ball to send it up the inlane only to return to the flipper, how does this create a better position for a tight backhand over just letting the trapped ball roll down the flipper from rest??? I sincerely want to understand since I am tired of flailing away at the ball to try to start a mission on Star Trek stern. The side-to-side motion resulting from my often missed shots targeted for either “away team” makes me motion sick and results in a drain 50% of the time.

You want your flipper up as the ball travels down it so its climbing up the flipper. A quick flip will make a tight backhand.

2 Likes

Light bulb above my head just lit. LOL. Thx I am going to try this ASAP!!!

1 Like

I’ve found the most reliable version of this backhand on ST to the left saucer mission start shot is to backhand the ball while the ball is rolling down the flipper (away from the tip). YMMV.