What's this move called?

Around here we call it a roll out backhand. I watched Tim Street execute several last night to hit the Dragon shot on GOT. Super sweet. I like hitting the right ramp on Lotr this way. But my favorite use of this shot has to be the spinner on Old Coney Island. Now that is a satisfying shot!

1 Like

I can hit the right ramp from a cradle on the LOTR I maintain. Should it not be that way? In fact, I can even sometimes hit the right ramp on the fly as it comes out of the right inlane.

The right ramp very easy to backhand on my local LOTR, and at least makeable as a backhand on all of the LOTRs Iā€™ve played. (Iā€™ve never played one with extra wide guard rubber on this ramp.)

Yeah. Iā€™m judt talking about fun/style points. I wouldnā€™t do it that way in competition.

I like that name. Simple and pretty self-explanatory.

2 Likes

Apropos Creature: For some inexplicable reason I have trouble hitting the Slide shot on my CftBL from the left flipper, so for that shot I usually do a roll out backhand.

I think ā€œbackflipā€ would be a much better term for when youā€™re trying to do a cradle separation, and it goes up and over the slingshot, and then back down the inlane - ending up right where it started.

I actually like ā€œroll out backhandā€ a lot.

Other suggestions:

• Rolling backhand
  • Inlane backhand
  • Bicycle kick (or bicycle flip)
  • U-turn
  • Y-turn
  • I suppose ā€œinlane assisted backhandā€ is too long?

A cradle reunion!

1 Like

The ā€œup and overā€ (where you try to cradle separate two balls on a cradled flipper, and end up doinking it over the sling shot and into the outlane :anguished:) should be called a ā€œcradle to graveā€ separation, or something like that

3 Likes

Over and out?

ā€œTrick Flip?ā€

I love this move. Been using it on Stern Star Trek to hit the left Mission Start/Lock. Works great on DE Star Wars to hit the Force scoop.

Donā€™t use the move much but I wonder if itā€™s even doable with urethane or silicone flipper rubbers. Thereā€™s a ST near me that went from easy post passes on either side to virtually impossible post passes with whatever is on there now (shiny, so obviously not natural rubber).

Also, not quite the same, but did you guys see the video of the guy looping two balls on the left ramp on AC/DC? Heā€™d wait for the second ball to hit the cradled first ball, then shoot the ramp and cradle the second ball. Canā€™t find the video and it likely wasnā€™t worth many points, but a damb flashy move. Anybody got a link to that?

Switch flip- ball switches direction and is then flipped either backhand or forehand. So it would be either a backside switch flip or frontside switch flip. Itā€™s a skateboarding term as well.

Players name is Robert Sutter. It was at Louisville and I think the link is hereā€¦

http://pinballvideos.com/?v=748

1 Like

Specifically at those two moments:

3 Likes

Now I remember. Watching again, it was somewhat worthwhile when he was playing R&R train, but virtually worthless when he was playing Hellā€™s Bells. I tried it on my pro once and didnā€™t have much luck pulling it off. Maybe when it comes back off location Iā€™ll try again. Probably not a super viable tourney strat, but damb flashy.

Iā€™m pretty sure you can collect creature on Monster Bash doing this. You can also safe-shot the Mini Mayhem start if you miss it off the plunge on Pinball Magic. NES does it at 2:10 in this video:

Its doable with the urethane and silicon flipper rings, you just need to adjust the strength of the inlane tap back to make up for the ball catching a little as it hits the grippy flipper. I agree those urethane and silicon flipper rings do have a horrible effect on post passes though, with the spin and grip either stopping the ball dead in its tracks or bouncing in strange ways, the move is ruined.

I can post pass all day using the Titan competition rubbers.