Twitch/livestream setups.

I am considering converting to a wireless rig. Has there been a gold standard yet for HDMI transmitters? I’ve only used the Monoprice one in the past. Not sure what is better out there.

1 Like

I think this brand is what Karl uses. I assume these would be the gold standard. Not sure. Never tried them.

Hollyland Mars 300 PRO [Official] HDMI Loopout Wireless Transmitter and Receiver for SLR/MILC Camera with 300ft Long Range 0.08S Low Latency 1080P HD Video Transmission System (Enhanced) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D9FX6KJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_296GAHDXDPQ0TWS7NRXR

The great thing about the Monoproce Blackbirds are they run off of 60GHz so they’re not susceptible to WiFi interference. Still use 2 of them most times, then the Hollyland Mars 300 Pro Erik linked above for any additional wireless cameras. I use that specific Hollyland model now as they can be powered via USB-C. Older models had to use Sony batteries which stink compared to the plethora of battery banks available.

So hollyland plays nice with two blackbirds?

Yep. They run off of 5GHz.

1 Like

The Blackbird transmitters are the best bang for the buck, but in my experience they can be finnicky if it’s a crowded location/not a good line of sight. They’re also a bit annoying to get paired up. Something to consider depending on the streaming location.

After Karl suggested them, I did take the plunge and get some Hollyland transmitters. They’re pricey but have been much more reliable than anything else for me.

1 Like

For the Blackbirds you definitely want to have both the transmitters and receivers high up in the air to maintain line of sight with the transmitters and not have to worry about people walking in front of them.

For the receivers, I was previously using phone clamp thing attached to a mic stand, but found it frustrating because there was barely enough room to get a good clamp without interfering with the cables, plus i was always accidentally clamping the “pairing” button which would cause all sorts of problems.

I designed this 3d printed part as a solution. Holds two receivers with plenty of space for cables and can be mounted to a standard microphone stand.

You can tinker on this design here or just download the STL and print it. I recommend using PETG with at least 30% infill.

5 Likes

Or my bootleg solution! Haha. I zip tie everything.

1 Like

hah – totally legit for a permanent setup! I’m usually bringing my rig to a location somewhere, so I need something that can be set up/broken down quickly.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a badass solution. Only thing that’s nice about mine is that the receivers can go up to 12 feet high on this stand.

I’m using the Hollyland’s now also, not cheap but for sure but very reliable. I mostly am using two in my shed but had 4 working fine, one thing that makes them run well is selecting each one on an individual channel which you can do with the controls on the TX. The monoprice were excellent but after alot of use and moving around the connectors for power started to get really loose.

Oh and one thing the hollyland’s do that I couldn’t get the monoprice to do, you can pull the feed out of the geekworm LVDS board directly into the Hollyland TX and it works perfectly.

Since we’re sharing mount hacks…

2 Likes

What’s the current favorite headset/mic people are going with for tournaments? Seems like folks are going with something like the modmic over say, some kind of yeti or even a set of SM57s?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889911-REG/audio_technica_bphs1_xf4_communications_headset.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-eeMBhCpARIsAAZfxZDeziMT6AS4GrO7iZKqseCaVWHiDLTDHxUTujNxl72O03YCoum29fgaApyFEALw_wcB&lsft=BI%3A6879&smp=y

1 Like

How do the folks that do the location streams travel with all of their gear? Just load it up in the trunk? Rolling suitcase? I’m hoping to start doing some more location streaming now that things are coming back and trying to keep things fairly compact, but there’s so much gear.

Also interested in this question, as my organization and cable management is truly embarrassing. :slight_smile:

Personally I use a few plastic storage tubs, and put most equipment in there. Velcro ties for cables coiled over-under to keep the cables tidy. I use a carrying strap on my PC and try to keep various PC cables there. And toss it all in my trunk along with the disassembled wireless rig.

The hard part for me is streaming at various different locations, because I need a slightly different sent of equipment for each location. And keeping this all organized is tough.

I’m looking at some of the video production carts that wedding folks and others in related fields use. Or some kind of tweak of MFT carts that custom cabinet makers and stuff use.

And of course we need some 80/20 plans for it right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to give a mention for the EVGA XR1 Lite. Great features and hdmi pass through. And it’s super cheap right now on Amazon. It’s nearly an HD60 S+ for way less money.

1 Like

Any idea if it handles the geekworm LVDS to HDMI resolution / signal?

Not sure. I don’t have any hardware for that, but it does support 480p, 576p, and 720p. And it seems like it has built in hardware scaling for the usb output as I can set my input to 1080p and grab a 720p feed off it.