Twitch/livestream setups.

I keep working on my picam project. I’ve let it sit a little but plan to pick it up here again and try to get over some of the obs hiccups.

If you want to play with it I’m happy to help with any issues and take requests for features.

I plan to update the disc image now that the 4s are out with stretch.

How long is too long?

I believe it is in the instruction manual for the Camlink - probably not more than a couple feet I’d imagine. I’ve been able to extend it a little further with a powered USB hub, but by far the most success I’ve had going long distances is by using multiple ~20ft HDMI cables with a powered HDMI splitter (thus also an extender) like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Powered-Display-Support-Resolutions/dp/B07TBKQXMK/ref=sr_1_3

1 Like

My cam links use 30 ft hdmi runs with no extenders and work fine.

2 Likes

I have been piecing together some gear while we are in stay at home mode. So far I have a logitech Brio, a razer kiyo, a bendy camera mount, and one mic stand. I have USB extension cords on the way along with some more camera mounts and a t-lighting bar.

I need another camera or two. Anybody want to move on from some webcams they aren’t using? As other have posted, they are going for crazy prices these days. I am also thinking about maybe one sony cx405/440. The camlinks are pretty expensive right now when you can find them in stock though.

I have a pretty decent desktop within range of my pinball machines (ryzen 3700, GTX 1080) and a pretty good laptop I can use too.

Very interested on the Raspbrry PI solution, I use a 2 C920 and a Brio.
I highly recommend upgrading to a Brio at least dor the Payfiled, that is night and day difference and still cheaper them a cam, capture card solution

I second the brio. Better than the c922 for the playfield.

Chuck and Ray, here is a clipped video of what I call “light setup” that I have at home, 1 C920, Elgato and Brio on the PF. When it is a DMD, I use another c920 or c922. C920 is better them C922
https://clips.twitch.tv/AliveHelplessDonutJebaited

That’s my setup. Although 3 pushes the USB power a bit (especially with a Brio) and can be flaky. I bought a powered hub to play with since I think that’ll solve it but haven’t verified that yet. I finally cleaned up my office again so I should be getting back to the project and I have something new to try and see if it helps OBS a bit where you can setup a pretend webcam locally from the feed. So I’m curious how that might work.

due to the increased interest in streaming, I’ve been getting a lot of inquiries about my streaming equipment. I’ve made a little drawing for anyone interested in doing a wireless/camcorder set up:

7 Likes

Anyone try one of these on their backglass/cabinet/playfield glass?

I’m thinking of trying one or two out for a mobile setup. I think I can integrate them into my overhead rig or simply the setup a bit.

Also, I did some testing with a powered usb hub and the Pi’s yesterday and I think it makes a difference for supporting 3 cameras. I’m going to try it with the Pi 3A+ since it’s a bit cheaper and is basically the same as the 3B+. I also have a solution for adding remote audio too that I think works with OBS now but I have to play around a bit more with it to make sure the audio doesn’t get knocked out after switching games repeatedly. I’m going to work on putting together a new image for the latest Raspbian today.

1 Like

With all the down time I have right now I decided to finally get a streaming rig setup at my shop. Looks like I picked the wrong time as I’m finding it hard to find the cameras and capture cards I’ll need as everyone is out of stock or price gouging. I ordered the parts for the rig that Karl & Phil have documented here (thanks guys!) as I was really impressed with that. I purchased a Sony Camcorder to use for the playfield. A buddy is hooking me up with a Logitech C615 that I can use for the player cam and looking to pickup a C922 for the DMD cam.

It seems a lot of people recommend the Elgate Cam Link USB device to bring the video feed from the camcorder into the computer. I’m not having much luck finding the non-4K version. It’s probably a long shot but does anyone have one they are not using and want to part with it? Or can anyone recommend another USB capture card that works just as well in that price range? FYI I’ll be connecting all of this to my laptop.

Thanks!

Get a C920 it’s cheaper and has plenty to capture the dmd nicely.

1 Like

I would be fine with that as well. Problem is everybody is out of stock of both unless you want to buy one from China and wait 1-2 months. Or buy one in the states and pay 3x the price.

Oh okay. Didn’t realize they were so hard to find now.

Here is an option. If you have a wyze camera for your home, they just released free software to make your wyze a webcam. https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041605111-Webcam-Firmware-Instructions

My C922 is meh (not unusable, but not impressive) at 60fps even though it’s supposed to be capable but much better at 30fps. Just an fyi, so maybe try both and see how each works for you if you get one.

1 Like

have you checked ebay? i see a bunch of pre-owned ones

Yeah that’s where I’ve been looking. I did finally find a new C920 for about the same price the used ones are selling for.

Still need to get my hands on a good USB capture card to use with my Sony cam when it arrives.

This is what I paid in 2016… now these are going for close to $200! Madness!