Tournament advice! Been a while!!! TGP advice please!

So I’m still working on the PAPA Card based qualifying format event that prompted my question earlier, and I had an idea. As Spinal Tap taught me though, there’s a fine line between clever… and stupid. Which is this?

I’m thinking about scorekeeping volunteers, how to get more people volunteering, and how to best reward scorekeepers. I know events usually include an extra hour of qualifying for volunteers, but for an OK player trying to do well at the tournament, that extra hour doesn’t really motivate.

What if there were an extra couple of playoff spots made available to the two highest scoring volunteers that otherwise didn’t make A division? So for example if I am taking the top 20 players into A division, now I am adding seeds 21 & 22, and they are the top 2 scoring volunteers. If this finals were say a single-elimination head-to-head best-of-5, I could even have the 2 volunteer spots face each other first. Or not.

I’m thinking lots of players who wouldn’t otherwise volunteer would do so for the chance at the extra playoff spots, and it might even generate enough volunteers that a shift could be dropped from say 2 hours down to 1.

I dunno. What do you think?

I feel like a better option is to provide some number of free cards based on time volunteered. Reserving extra spots for people who didn’t perform well enough to earn it feels like it goes counter to a fair tournament.

Maybe you could have cash prizes for the top qualifying volunteers instead?

3 Likes

free cards and graduated play time not just extra hour but you get to play at least your free cards in full no matter how long it takes.

I think offering guaranteed seeding to the top two scoring volunteers is a bit much. I like JoeTheDragon’s idea better, though it depends on the other volunteer perks you are offering.

you can’t give away spots in the finals — whether volunteers or not — and still consider your tourney a fair competition.

Hahaha @cayle remember WILDCARD at northwest champs the first and second year? 16th spot randomly selected from those who show up Sunday morning who didn’t make top 15 :joy::joy::joy:

Wut?!?!

One reason you wouldn’t want to guarantee playoff spots to volunteers is because the chances of them getting embarrassed in playoffs could be high, depending on the number of players and their skill level. Small friendly tourney with no points, sure. But don’t subject anyone to cruel and unusual punishment in playoffs if they don’t have the skills to defend themselves. Loosing repeatedly isn’t fun. Trust me.

1 Like

This is how the APA billiards league works. At the end of each session top 4 teams make playoffs and then 2 more wild cards are randomly picked from ALL of the remaining teams that didn’t make the playoffs.

It happens quite often that the worst team in the league gets a playoff spot and wins a few matches and next thing you know they are playing in the state championship. Dumb.

I was hoping for “reasons why it is bad” to involve wpprs and numbers and such, and after thinking about it overnight, I have a good reason why this is a bad idea:

Bumping someone up to a spot even at the bottom of the playoffs is giving them unearned wpprs. Even if the person in the “extra” volunteer playoff spot or spots flush out immediately, they are still getting credit for 21st and 22nd place (to use my example) in a tournament where they did not earn that place through qualifying.

I was hoping for a no-consequences way to boost volunteerism, but I wasn’t looking to give away unearned wpprs.

Verdict: stupid idea.

Thanks!

Sorry to derail my thread lol…

So I created 2 arena banks for my tournament. Round one I would like to draw from bank A and round 2 I would like to draw from bank B and so on to keep everyone from getting bunched up in the same space/room.

Problem is that I cant figure out how to assign a specific bank for the round in my test tournament. The options that looks appropriate are “arena banks balanced” or “manually assign arenas”. But when I start a test tournament it does not show an option to select from bank A or bank B for the round?

What am I missing here? Thanks in advance!

bank1
bank2

This thread belongs to History now.

Just kidding. Sorry for the hijack! :slight_smile:

So “Banks” actually refers to “Multiple Games in the Same Round”.

I think what you’re looking for is “Arena Categories”. You can assign an Arena to a Category under the Arenas tab.

…and then when you draw the Round, you can pick which Category to draw against.

2 Likes

Haha all good! Lots of good discussion! Good stuff! Keep it going!

Ahhhh ok that is super helpful thanks!!! I should be able to get that going now! Thanks again!

Seems that I am still doing something wrong. I took a quick video to show the matchplay set up. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!!

There are # of good ways to compensate volunteers.
Search for “volunteer” or “volunteer compensation” to see ways other events have done so:

• $$ credit toward tournament entries
  • special hour of qualifying only for volunteers
  • $$ credit toward a store (for merchandise, food, drink, etc)
  • Merchandise itself (T-shirt, etc.)
  • Public recognition
  • Etc.

You don’t want banks. Do not do “Banks”. Under arenas, go into each individual machine and give it a category, A or B. Set tournament up for matchplay, single game per round. Then as posted above by Corey, when you start a round, hit the dropdown box and choose to draw from A or B arenas.

Banks are totally different. For instance, 21 games arranged into 7 banks of 3 games. 3 games are played per round. The program can randomly assign groups to different “3 game banks”.

Hope that helps.

Ahh awesome thanks!!! That should set me straight!!!

You think I can have the same game in different categories without any issue? Can I have Fishtales in category A and category B for eg?