Tournament advice! Been a while!!! TGP advice please!

So 24 finals with top8 bye is worth more than just top16, 21 instead of 18 games based on your table?
31 TGP next year for a 20H best game qual with 5games that count into a top24 finals with 3 games per round. Good value for a standard Herb/Papa style format still.

What is this 31TGP crap? Lol

I feel like I would be doing a disservice to @Snailman if I didn’t correct you:

It’s NOT 31 TGP in your example.

It’s 5 MGP for qualifying plus 21 MGP for finals. A total of 26 MGP which equals 104% TGP. The 20 hours of unlimited qualifying is then worth an additional 20% TGP for a total of 124% TGP.

4 Likes

Preach on, Brother!

Any thought in raising the max % from unlimited qualifying now that the meaningful games for 100% TGP has been increased?

Agreed on the right naming format, i mostly wanted to make sure the above from Adam was corrected:

Note that IFPA only counts the meaningful finals games in the rounds with the shorted path, so you don’t get to count those first two rounds, but it doesn’t matter because you just need three meaningful rounds of finals and a reasonable set of hours of qualifying to get to 100%.

You just need to change your perspective. It isn’t Matchplay without a finals. If it is Swiss, it is only a finals and they did away with the qualifying portion for efficiency.

1 Like

Passing thoughts in the past, but have always landed on 20 hours is two solid days of qualifying. It’s tough to say that more hours beyond that really makes the event something of even higher quality.

I’m still waiting for the first Card format to take a player’s best TWO cards into their standings. It wouldn’t impact the tournament itself at all (I think most players put in at least two cards over the course of qualifying), but it would add another 20% towards TGP ‘for free’.

2 Likes

Fair however I feel the PAPA 20 full three day grind (Thursday Friday Saturday) definitely felt way more significant than a 2 day qualifier. You needed much higher scores and thus way more games on average.

Yup yup. More data used toward qualifying rank = more TGP.

both cards added ? or best games over the 2 cards (but only one score per game?)

You would need to count all 10 games to include all 10 as “meaningful”.

What if those 2 cards are played on different days? What if that day difference includes daylight savings time?

1 Like

what about Best Game Style Qualifying (Herb) with limited trys
does play each game 2 still =
If 9 games are available but only 5 games are counted towards your qualifying standing then only 5?

what about card where take 2 cards and 5 per card out of an pool of 9 games = 9?
what about card where take 2 cards and 5 per card out of an pool of 9 games (CAN ONLY HAVE 1 score per game) = less then 9 do to some people not covering all 9 games with there max of 2 counting cards?

I’ll review this with you the next time we’re at Enterrium :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How would that work in practical terms? I wonder if the tournament software (Neverdrains?) would support that.

I’m sure Karl shudders at the thought, but practically it would be the total page referencing a players best two tickets with those point totals added together, rather than just their best ticket point total.

#itisjustcode

“it’s just code” and “just get sponsorship” are two of my favorite sayings.

1 Like

Other than the current lack of software support, I can’t think of any significant drawbacks to to running a two card format? Maybe tougher for a player to decide whether to void (will this run hurt either of my best two tickets or any of my opponents best two tickets?)

You’d also want enough qualifying time to allow for the extra attempts.

@kdeangelo to make sure he sees that and put a contract on Josh :smiley: