The New Pinball Dictionary

I would also accept something like “an errant tap pass that gracefully arcs the ball into the outlane.”

4 Likes

I see one phrase missing from the list that I hear often enough.

Ball returns to inlane from a ramp or wireform, drops to inlane carrying some spin, rolls up the inlane and down the outlane. It moonwalked.

I’ve heard it enough that I assume it’s not a regional thing. Anybody not from the west coast familiar with the term?

1 Like

What about a blown live catch that goes into the outlane or SDTM? Happens to me often enough. I submit for you approval, the “Live Drain”.:grin:

5 Likes

Same thing with a blown drop catch. The Drop Drain.

3 Likes

“Glass Wedgie”

Getting the ball stuck between a playfield item, e.g. a toy or ramp of some kind, and the glass.

Re the tap pass to the outlane, I’d call that a gutter ball, since it’s about the same as such in bowling, i.e. you throw the ball directly into the out channel.

1 Like

Yes, heard with some frequency on the East Coast. The term is also used in the unified PAPA/IFPA ruleset. (As in: moonwalking to the outlane is NOT a major malfunction.)

Interestingly, the latter is sometimes a feature: getting maximum ballsaver out of Getaway, for instance. Sometimes you really want the ball in the trough RTFN, and a Drop Drain is the fastest way to do it.

5 Likes

That’s a great point. I guess I’ve been drop draining for 25 years now! :scream:

2 Likes

Thanks again for sharing those gifs!
Good luck digging through those sites, my man.

You put in a lot of freakin effort in what you do for this hobby, and I sincerely thank you. I often look to FunWithBonus for pinball related news.

Keep killin it!

3 Likes

Best game for drop draining by far has to be Time Fantasy!

6 Likes

And Laser Cue if EBs are enabled.

1 Like

I don’t know if a word for this already exists but I haven’t seen it.

The Cycle - The act of getting all possible replays on a machine in one game. In baseball, the cycle refers to getting a single, double, triple, and home run all in one game.

“Dude I just got the cycle on Earthshaker. GC, replay, special, and a match.”

1 Like

The cycle also applies to pinburgh. It’s getting 0,1,2, and 3 in one round.

The cycle in IFPA WC group play is quite rare - a different score in each of the 8 rounds. Bonus point for making a 21 and 3 be part of that cycle. This years co-leader after 6 rounds is on pace for the #UltimateCycle in qualifying if he finishes up tomorrow with a 9 and 7! (Although,
That seems pretty unlikely). He already has the 21,19,17,15,13, and 11 done.

Roberto Pedroni still has a shot at it, too. 19 15 7 11 9 17; needs 21 and 13 or 13 and 5 for a gap-less set.

Now these are the things that would be fun to Nordic Bet on!

2 Likes

Common one that’s not in the dictionary: Power Inlane

1 Like

What about The-Goalie-That-Helps-Winning-A-Major? :smiley:

1 Like

I came up with this one while watching IFPA14 last night - Shatz the Bed, when you Shatz the inlane and it moonwalks out the outlane or some other drain. Obviously past tense.

4 Likes

“Death Clank” The last thing you hear before the ball hits the outlane switch on Tommy, Aerosmith and Star Wars with the metal side rails of death.

1 Like