Stern Rush Rulesheet

Yeah sure I agree that it should not end too soon, however I felt that it was not as challenging as it should be, The code around C2 is brilliant, but hmmm maybe there were too many shots lit. Maybe get rid of ball saver for C1 when a ball is added? Or increase the amount of shots to get to the next level…or maybe there are too many balls, and not enough shots…Thinking TWD type ball save time/horde style… Certainly not complaining just putting it out there.

Just wondering if the 2112 wizard mode has been coded in yet?

Not yet.

1 Like

Yeah wondered why I was stuck at 2111… lol stressing me out trying to figure out where the last year was.

Just not getting my head around how the records work? Not sure how to change colour to have them all the same? With the time machine lit is it better to keep going for them? Sorry just not sure whats going on…even when I have read the rules.

1 Like

Flashing records of any color boost mode scoring +10% per record

Chase the similar colored ones so that when you start a mode that shot will be 2x mode score

Hitting any blinking record changes colors of all blinking records

Hitting a Rush target changes colors of all blinking records

Solid records just show you which colors you have. Once you collect a record it turns solid and you can’t collect a record at that shot anymore.

Pulsing records are similar to solid records but you can collect them again to keep boosting your mode (they don’t change color like flashing ones)

Which part is hanging you up?

Thanks for that Ray. Ok so,

Flashing records of any color boost mode scoring +10% per record… So thats 10% increase for that shot? Or 10% accumulated on all shots?

Chase the similar colored ones so that when you start a mode that shot will be 2x mode score: If 3 are similar, when I start are those 3 shots 2x?

Hitting any record changes colors of all blinking records.Ok

Hitting a Rush target changes colors of all blinking records, Ok

Solid records just show you which colors you have. Once you collect a record it turns solid and you can’t collect a record at that shot anymore. Once all are solid, then start mode as there is nothing left to do?

Pulsing records are similar to solid records but you can collect them again to keep boosting your mode (they don’t change color like flashing ones). OK

10% to all mode scoring (all shots, not just record shots)

Collect all 6 will then turn the colors that are matched into pulsing records and turn the other ones flashing so there is no limit on how high you can boost a mode

When a mode starts any records that are the color of that mode stay lit during that mode to show you that shot is 2x mode scoring (on top of any % boost)

Rainbow records are universal shot multipliers for all scores at that shot, mode or not.

1 Like

Yeah l’ll just have to play it more to get used to it. Thanks

Ha! I hadn’t noticed this before. So instead of hitting the RUSH standups, you can just shoot any solid record shot and have the same shuffling effect on remaining blinking records?

Definitely just play it and experiment with finishing all the non-rainbow flashing records, and you’ll experience how it works (what @raydaypinball has written out).

Here’s a quick example for your first mode:

• requires 2 records to light Mode Start.
  • Once you collect two records (two shots are solid), then Time Machine ™ is lit for Mode Start. There will not be any “+X %” because you’ve only gotten the bare minimum # of solid records to qualify mode start.
  • Let’s say you keep shooting flashing records until all 6 are solid: two of them light blue, and the other four a mix of the other colors. TM will be lit to start Tom Sawyer (the light blue mode) at +40% mode value, because you’ve gotten 4 more records solid than the 2 required to light mode-start.
  • Once you have all 6 records solid, then the record shots refresh into a mix of pulsing and flashing: the records that match the lit mode color will be pulsing, and the non-matching records will be flashing. In the example above, the two light blue records will be pulsing and the other four are flashing.
  • Each pulsing or flashing record you hit will give an additional +10% to your upcoming mode values. And the pulsing records will NOT change color, while the flashing records are once again free to cycle between the different colors. So you could use this phase to get a 3rd+ light blue record (giving you more Tom Sawyer mode shots that will be 2x).
  • If you shoot all 6 records shots again without shooting the TM (turning them all solid from their prior pulsing/flashing state), then the “refresh” records process repeats.
4 Likes

Jesus.

lol. So you’re upset that a game has offered a nuanced way for higher-level players to increase their scoring?
The good news: starting modes is still as simple as hit X (+1) of flashing shots to qualify. Then shoot the massive flashing thing in the middle to start it. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Oop, I mistyped that. Only hitting blinking records cycles the blinking records.

I’ve definitely seen people say this game is hard to figure out so if there’s any easier way to phrase something on the rule sheet, or in the game I’m all ears. Like Colin said, just collect records by hitting shots to light your mode is all you really need to know. You can even sprinkle in the fact that you can sort of choose your mode by going for records of a certain color. Seems pretty intuitive right ? Hit blue records, start the blue mode

1 Like

Great…Yeah starting to understand it more!!! Super ruleset btw

Noticed that there are a few easter egg sounds like “12 milllionnnnnn” etc. Just wondering if one can be done for the end of C1 wizard mode given that it is similar to destroy the ring on LOTR? :slight_smile: Lol and /or poss visual of gollum flying off one of the planets

I don’t think there is. I think this is a common problem in pinball for most people is “information overload” via text. I’m sure if there was a simple video showing this everyone would be like OHHHH I GET IT.

I enjoy the style of play and what you guys did with the code. It’s not too much, once you see it/do it then it makes sense.

1 Like

I’m not upset, it’s just… a lot. I tend to prefer rulesets where the treasure lies in how things interact via stacking & power-ups as the game progresses, not a game-within-a-game before a mode is even started. I can grasp how ten simple things play off each other, learning each one as I go. Things like flashing vs. pulsing inserts in a rainbow of colors, just to boost a single mode’s scoring, is simultaneously too subtle in presentation and too overwhelming in complexity to me.

Are there any callouts for all this stuff? “Two blue locked in, go for more blue!” “Mode scoring boosted 30%” or “shoot for the pulsing records,” anything like that? If it’s all 3D chess that you have to just know, I’m not getting any satisfaction as a player. I’m a scrub, bring me the boom.

As you said, it’s definitely for higher-level players. I am not one of those.

Is there any way to add a tutorial video on it for the attract mode? It won’t solve the issue completely because the tutorial videos may turn into white noise, but it would at least generate a visual explanation of the mechanic.

Back box shows your mode and how much your scoring is currently boosted.

Basically once you get your first shots complete, pulsing means that shot is 2x, flashing means you can change it to the same color to make the shot 2x. Both will increase scoring no matter the color if you make it.

For me, it’s about not worrying about the math and just keeping the process in mind while playing. In this case:

Making records lights mode.

Making more than needed records mean higher mode shot scores.

Records that are the same color as your mode lock-in once all records are hit, and increase scoring further.

So: light as many records and in the correct color as your risk/reward situation allows before starting the mode.

Does that sound like a good summary?

3 Likes