Stern Jurassic Park Rulesheet

@sk8ball This weekend at a local tourney, I watched a number of players not realize that there were significant modes/features available on ramps indicated by the above-ramp signs (Paddock, T-Rex, Helipad, and Extra Ball). Would it be possible to better highlight those lights on the signs by having them blink/flash instead of just remaining solid? Not sure if this would make a difference, but I think it might draw more attention to those indicators vs a solid-lit lamp.

1 Like

Hmm? skipnatty Twitch channel is all non-pinball. And Buffalo Pinball Twitch has no Jurassic Park in VOD.

Owlnonymous has a few VODs of JP and heā€™s a good player. Maybe he shows off some big scores.

1 Like

My mistake, I must have been thinking of Wonka.

Perk cheat sheet

20 Likes

I really need to know how on earth System Boot scores so much. I started it while Chaos Multiball and 2x Scoring were active and at some point I made a shot for over 100 million? Is it that valuable?

Collected the Brachiosaurus Fossil today, and I think it might have been from the Raptor Tri-Ball super? Iā€™m not 100% certain.

Iā€™ve had seen several control room modes worth around 100m in total @CaptainBZarre but system boot might be the one that rewards combos? Saw a 30m shot as a combo today with 2x running, so 100m doesnā€™t seem too crazy.

Just so Iā€™m not missing something ā€¦ the ONLY way to beat a paddock and gain its perk is to rescue the required number of people, AND lay the trap and shoot the helipad correct? In either order? Or do you need to rescue first? I swear Iā€™ve beat paddocks without shooting the right ramp to trap but maybe not?

Some padlocks require the helipad, others donā€™t. In the rules above it says orange and red require helipad only I believe.

Trap is done via the stand ups by the truck.

Trapping/capture has nothing to do with the right ramp.

Each Paddock has a number of require Rescues to light the Set Trap targets. One you meet that requirement (which starts at 1, and I donā€™t think gets higher than 3 or 4), then you hit the Set Trap lights. Then, depending on how deep you are, it either lights a yellow light immediately on the playfield (at/near current dino location), or it gives you the intermediary step of shooting the helipad, and then doing the yellow light at/near dinosaur.

I believe if you run out of rescues, the dino might get away without capture.

This should all be explained above in the first post, so reread that and ask more questions if something isnā€™t clear.

You need help to set the trap. So rescue X number of people to enable trap. Trapping dino awards perk. If dino escapes no perk. There is a strat to using rescues as bait. Whatever the home square is for that particular dino is also where he can escape. If there are no more dinner treats (rescues) on the playfield the dino will head to his home position for an escape.

4 Likes

Mode tips:
Restore Power- Base mode value = 3mil. Each spinner spin adds 100k to award value. Once spinner is spun all shots lit to collect value. You collect shots or keep shooting the spinner to build value. The final shot is worth 3x value. 1 mil per second bonus for time left over.

System boot- 3 shots lit. Each shot has a sister combo shot (i.e. left ramp to right half pipe, spinner to tower) The faster you shoot the combo the more it is worth. Complete all 3 combos to light control room for final shot which = all collected values in that mode plus time bonus 1 mil per second.

Chase- Dodge shots hit within 3 seconds of shifts score double

Encounter- Shoot left ramp to light 3 shots on right side. Difficulty of shot multiplies the award (Left ramp 2x, O shot 3x, right pipe 1x) Time bonus 1 mil per second.

Pteranodon- All switch hits build value and every 20 switch hits boosts the multiplier. Right ramp collects. Tip- first attack just keep shooting the spinner to build multiplier but donā€™t collect. Next attack that multiplier will carry over. Try to stack with a multiball for huge points. I collected a 275M award once (no PF multiplier)

13 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. I had my best game tonight (player 2), starting at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/473326812?t=01h26m50s ending with 688M. I have purposely not looked at the above rule sheet, and am trying to prolong the honeymoon period figuring out rules through gameplay, so I apologize for all the out loud questions, but thatā€™s how I think.

2 Likes

Oh, and the last game of the night was a 211M split flipper game.

Organized the rule sheet a bit more and clarified some rules related to some of the more difficult Paddocks.

1 Like

The location we play at got one of these in yesterday. I was playing with a few friends and we ran into an issue. Somehow a ball must have been stuck somewhere and was knocked loose during single ball play. We were playing for fun, so the guy playing just kept on playing. However, when he eventually lost one of the balls, the game ended his turn and counted up his bonus.

Most games keep track of the balls and let you keep playing knowing there is another ball that hasnā€™t hit the trough yet. Is that something we need to be aware of during league play should someone get two balls in the shooter lane or something?

The game sent a chaser ball out previously. That will end your ball once one drains as the game thinks there is one stuck still.

Turn that setting off for comp.

2 Likes

The chase ball must have gotten stuck then, but Iā€™ll definitely check that setting before leagues tomorrow.

I believe itā€™s called Lost Ball Recovery these days. You want that turned off for competition play.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œSnailman, post:81, topic:5644, full:trueā€]
@sk8ball This weekend at a local tourney, I watched a number of players not realize that there were significant modes/features available on ramps indicated by the above-ramp signs (Paddock, T-Rex, Helipad, and Extra Ball). [/quote]

Guilty. But I can also be a blind idiot a lot of the times so this could just be sk8ball forcing Darwinism on the pinball community :slight_smile: