Stern Jurassic Park Rulesheet

Does Playfield multiplier apply to Visitor Center bonus? And If not, what causes paddock bonuses to be multiplied?

Thanks

Playfield multipler does not effect visitor center bonus. How many paddocks you captured is how the paddock bonuses gets multiplied

2 Likes

Iā€™d love it if Stern decided to add some additional details in the status - it seems kinda light right now. It would be great to know which control room modes and TRex modes Iā€™ve completed. There are probably some other status-y things that would be nice, but those are the two that came to mind while playing today.

Interesting ā€“ I was thinking the exact opposite when I was parsing through Instant Info: I think it provides a LOT of good info. % of rescues, standard Fossil status/available, Wild Card fossils, DNA combos, and more. And the next-up T-Rex mode is shown on the screen.
A balance has to be struck with providing lots of good info, without going overboard in having too much to parse through, imho.

Will knowing which Control Room or T-Rex modes youā€™ve already played alter whether you continue going for those lucrative modes? Theyā€™re pretty well-balanced, so to me, it doesnā€™t matter which ones are still available in terms of whether Iā€™m intentionally going after the next one.

The scenario that I had was that I had a great ball 1 - canā€™t remember exactly, but I think I went to the visitorā€™s center and I played a Trex mode (or 2) and a control room mode (or 2). And then a giant pause. I came back and wondered - whether I was closer to Secure Control Room or Museum Mayhem.

For the paddocks, there are great visual indicators, but for the control room and Trex, there are no indicators of where you are in progress along those two fronts. It would also be helpful to show if you have all the control room modes qualified.

Personally, I would combine some of the status items onto a single screen if I was developing the software and condense down the number of screens. It would also be fine to put a few indicators on the main screen (maybe there are some and I donā€™t know how to read them?).

I donā€™t really find % of rescues all that helpful - total and rescue streak are the only ones tied into points, correct?

Iā€™d be happy if they jettison the high score table scrolling in the status screens - I donā€™t really have any use for that in game.

Iā€™d also be happy if somewhere there was a key of fossil info to criteria besides in the rulesheet.

I do find that the scoring is pretty balanced, but certainly Virus Attack can sometimes give me fits if I canā€™t find the control room shot. And TRex Chase can be pretty dangerous.

Anyway, thatā€™s my 2 cents.

1 Like

Makes sense. I can understand that.

The % rescues is helpful if youā€™re gunning for Escape Nublar, so you know how potentially difficult your path back the Main Gate will be.

The high scores in instant info is, has been, and will always be good info ā€“ giving you a feel for how close you are to getting your initials in. Granted, I think this is much more important for location play than home.

Lol and agreed on the Fossil criteria ā€“ I keep having to reference a screen shot I took of the rulesheet from that section as Iā€™m cradled up. ha.

1 Like

I have not yet gotten to Escape Nublar (except the challenge mode) - how does the % of rescues factor in?

I looked at the rulesheet and didnā€™t see how it changed things - collecting dinosaurs does make the mode easier though according to whatā€™s written.

I think ā€“ but donā€™t recall specifics ā€“ any paddock you drive back through on your way from the volcano back to the Main Gate during Nublar, you have to finish what wasnā€™t completed on your way to the volcano. This includes both Rescues and Dinos: any Rescues you ignored before Advancing Paddock during normal gamplay, and Dinos you let escape (Iā€™m guessing here-- unconfirmed), have to be collected before you can move past that same paddock during Escape Nublar. so my impression is that if the Paddock had 6 staff in it, and you only rescued 3 prior to advancing to the next Paddock, then that Paddock would have 3 Rescues youā€™d need to collect during your Nublar run back through it.

Iā€™ve only had the game at home for a few days now, and have only played Nublar once (the non-Challenge version).

Just ran into a somewhat obscure bug(?): If instant info is activated after triggering the smart missile but before item selection begins, the smart missile selection is paused until instant info is exited.

How it happened: RMB with system boot running and smart missile lit. Shot the left ramp to start smart missile then immediately shot control room with other ball to end SB. That ball rebounded to a right flipper trap. By the time the system boot ending animations and total were done, the game had gone into instant info and the first ball remained trapped by the post while I paged through II. After about 30 seconds the post dropped and I flipped the ball. SM started its countdown; I failed to make it with either ball and game played normally.

I agree that itā€™d be nice to have an indicator of control room / T-Rex mode progress somewhere. As a player I can usually keep track of where I am pretty well, but as a spectator itā€™d be cool to be able to see that state at a glance if I show up in the middle of a game / stream.

I think it would be best served by lights on the PF somewhere but obviously those donā€™t exist. Some kind of simple indicator somewhere on the main status screen would be fine (like maybe a circle that fills in wedges as you play the modes, with the center indicating the mini-wiz mode).

Overall pretty happy with the current ruleset. Now that I have a ton of time on the game my only real gripe is that Museum Mayhem feels like it takes too much work to qualify compared to the other 2 mini wizard modes; itā€™s always the last thing I end up needing to qualify Escape Nublar (and those dangerous truck hits often end up killing me :sob:).

I think tweaking it so that you didnā€™t have to spell T-Rex a 5th time would be enough to bring it in line with the other modes (ie, immediately qualify MM after the 4th T-Rex mode ends). Alternatively, letting us collect T-Rex letters during control room modes would also probably do the trick (we can qualify control room modes while playing a T-Rex mode, why not allow the other direction as well?).

5 Likes

Same

I think I like this option more, but the other would work.

In trying to do nutso Pteranadon scores (much like @kdeangelo), Iā€™ve learned that it seems the base value increasing is impacted by the (unmultiplied, un-super spinnered) value of the spinner? Higher spinner value = higher base value build. Since youā€™re kind of in a rush to get switch hits, the only real play to maximize is spinner to raptor tower, spinner to raptor tower, etc. I suppose you might could squeeze in a helipad shot, too. Not sure the EV is there.

Are there other shots that increase the base value? Rhetorical question, perhaps, cause Iā€™m definitely gonna test. If you have a crazy high X from previous builds, the only thing that might matter on that round is building base value.

This is all wrong. Leaving it here for the laffs. Answer below.

Oh, ok! That might make sense. For a while I thought it increased w the nr of times you started Pteranodon Attack.

My .02c, When qualifying TRex SJP it would be nice if the left ramp insert wasnā€™t blue to indicate it as a SJP shot and not just another shot.

2 Likes

This is correct

2 Likes

Ok! Was looking at one of my streams to figure it out. Could it be that it starts at 25k per switch and then it is +10k for every started attack?

Ok! Was looking at one of my streams to figure it out. Could it be that it starts at 25k per switch and then it is +10k for every started attack?

Just tested, this is exactly right. Ignore my previous post :).

1 Like

This is in addition to the right ramp multiplier that carries over between Pteranodon Attacks.

I like it! Or at least an adjustment. Iā€™m thankful Maiden has the option to disable spelling Eddie to light 2MTM. Iā€™m a mediocre player on a good day, so the grind of hitting five more ramps to play a mini-wizard mode I ā€œearnedā€ feels excessive.

1 Like

Museum Mayhem ball-save potential bug (or by design?): if you drain down an outlane (at least on the R outlane) during the final moments of ball-save period, and the ball-save flasher stops before the ball reaches the outhole, your mode and ball will be over ā€“ no ball-save for you!
In the instance it happened to me, the ball-saver flasher was still going after passing over the Nedry outlane switch, and then the flasher expired. I was surprised that I didnā€™t get the ball back, because it was inconsistent in other game states of how the game treats the ball as having drained the moment it engages the outlane switch.