Stern Godzilla Rulesheet

games that have an soft kickback tend to fire on outline switch and not drain

2 Likes

I see where youā€™re going, but remember that Rampage has a ridiculously long ball save at the start of the mode. Easily the longest in the game. Seems like at least a minute. So it would make sense thatā€™s thereā€™s absolutely no grace period for that, not even for a triggered outlane switch. Enjoy your worry free 50 seconds of collecting jacks, then start paying attention.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not the case. I just took the glass off, trigged the wallop, ball save came on, triggered the right outlane switch, game immediately fired another ball into play. Nothing hit the trough (since I was doing this by hand).

This isnā€™t a question of should ball save be long or not. Itā€™s about the ball save behavior.

As I followed up above, during other times during the game (including at least: after plunging, after a wallop, mothra), triggering an outlane switch with ball save active sends a new ball into play. During rampage, triggering an outlane switch does not send a new ball into play. So the behavior is inconsistent for no obvious reason, which is why I donā€™t think itā€™s intentional. From a design perspective, having the same cause produce a different effect can confuse the player.

1 Like

If the ball save is in a mode or MB, no outlane immediate launch.

Wallop, initial, mothra (these are instances that are neither a mode or a MB), immediately serves the saved ball.

Seems fairly consistent depending on the type of ball save thatā€™s occurring.

No idea if itā€™s intentional or not.

But probably is more that I think of it.

Mode and MB ball saves are multiple use and simply on a timer.

Initial, mothra, and wallop are single use, hence the immediate outlane ball serve.

Initial is not single use. Iā€™ve seen at least four times after the plunge (different/fun clips each time).

Interesting. Always turns off after the first use for me.

Youā€™re comparing brief ball save behavior, 5 seconds or less, to one about a minute long. Apples and oranges. No idea if itā€™s intentional, but I donā€™t suspect it will be changed. If youā€™ve reached Rampage, youā€™ve already had a good game. Casuals will never see this. Keith is good about sprinkling in EBā€™s along the way when having a good game, but I donā€™t suspect heā€™ll extend a one minute ball save for a closed outlane switch.

Iā€™m tempted to say itā€™s already a long playing game, donā€™t fix it, but you may have been the only person this happened to. Iā€™ve never seen that situation. Canā€™t see a problem if he does fix it. Is this your game? Is it steep enough?

ding ding ding!

Tier 2 modes act differently as you only get one ball save so they are triggered off outlane switches as well

5 Likes

so they donā€™t all use the same common code / libraries / functions ?

1 Like

Do you keep misrepresenting what Iā€™m writing on purpose or are you doing it unintentionally? Whichever it is, Iā€™d appreciate your cutting it out.

Iā€™m not asking for a ball save to be extended.

Iā€™m not writing about how long a game plays or whether it should play longer or shorter.

Iā€™m simply describing a ball save behavior that seems to be inconsistent and is a little confusing to understand whatā€™s going on. Itā€™s what people have done for decades when trying to understand rules and one of the purposes of this thread.

To summarize, my current understanding of ball save behaviors during single-ball play:

Multi-Use: Yes (2: Plunge, Rampage), No (2: Mothra, Wallop)
Timed: Yes (3: Plunge, Rampage, Wallop), No (1: Mothra)
Outlane Triggers Yes (3: Mothra, Plunge, Wallop). No = 1 (Rampage)

If the idea is multi-use, timed ball saves arenā€™t supposed to have outlane triggers, then wallopā€™s would be removed.

I donā€™t think the plunge ballsaver is really ā€œmulti-useā€ ā€¦ Iā€™ve seen the occasional re-plunge after an initial ballsave, but only when the player immediately drains the plunged ball, as if the game thinks the plunge didnā€™t make it into play. Iā€™ve seen this occurs on other Sterns besides GZā€¦ perhaps itā€™s built into the Spike 2 trough code?

Wallop triggering on an outlane switch seems itself a bug, isnā€™t it for SDTM protection only?

I thought Dwight was the only coder that allowed the multiple initial ball saves?

Itā€™s called ā€œtarget game timeā€ and Godzilla itā€™s defaulted on. You can get quite a few ball saves if your first ball was crappy enough

4 Likes

Thereā€™s also a ā€œnumber of ball savesā€ that defaults to 2 on Star Wars and Led Zeppelin

2 Likes

Good to know. I wonder how mine got turned off. I bet I did it early on and forgot.

Where is the ā€œunder flipperā€ shot?

left spinner.
confused me too for a minute but by process of elimination that was all I could gather it could be

Itā€™s good to hear those settings and adjustments exist. Weā€™ve thankfully done away with ball 3 charity multiballs, but this still throws a bone to casuals. Charity MBā€™s were good for casuals, but not good for league and tournament play.

Just a request; would love to have city combos available to see while ball is active on playfield.
Mock-up of combos displayed in upper right.

6 Likes