Stern Godzilla general thread (not a rulesheet!)

There is a Godzilla Pro on location near me that will not start Godzilla MB for some reason. Several people and I have looked at it and are stumped. You can advance the building until the insert turns green indicating Godzilla MB is one shot away, but any shots after that don’t start MB.

This all started after 2 updates ago (0.80?), but I was told it was working for a couple days after that update.

In switch test the opto at the front of the building works and the rollover switch to the left of the building works. I don’t see any other switches in that area. When you shoot the ball through the building the magnet never grabs it. The magnet works for magna-grab when it’s activated by the right return lane and shot with the right flipper. The node board tests don’t report any errors. The service menu says Godzilla Pro, so I don’t think the premium software was accidentally installed. All the feature adjustments are factory default. I did not check that the correct number of balls were installed when I briefly looked at it, but I have no reason to think balls are missing.

What could possibly be wrong with it and what is the next diagnostic step?

If you’re STILL on .80, that version required you to hit EACH ramp TWICE before the building can be destroyed.

Thanks. I’m pretty sure the operator updated to the latest code (0.81) in hopes that would fix this issue.

Once the arrow insert in front of the build is green doesn’t that mean next shot starts multiball (on Pro)? Would the insert turn green if the ramps weren’t hit twice yet to qualify MB?

And the magnet doesn’t ever grab the ball when the ball is shot through the building, but it grabs the ball from a magna-grab shot. Is there some sort of hidden proximity sensor near the building/magnet not documented in the manual?

Green arrow should mean multiball yeah
It sounds like the sensor in the “building exit” lane isn’t working. It’s what triggers the magnet to swoop and triggers multiball start.

Thanks, I’ll check that switch and the wires. In switch test it works pressing it with a finger, but maybe for some reason it’s flaky when the ball rolls over it quickly.

The operator said he tried activating the switches with the glass off. Both the building hit opto and the building exit rollover award points. If he activated them in sequence the magnet was never activated and it didn’t start multiball, but each switch awarded points.

Could it be a flaky switch? Maybe it’s flickering enough to award points but not give a full hit on the switch? Kind of like a scoop in some games will immediately kick the ball out without giving credit. That seems to happen when the switch activates a bunch of times really quickly. Somehow it confuses the software.

Upper right loop to tail whip to upper spinner is a really satisfying combo.

2 Likes

In switch test be damn sure the switches reporting activate are the correct ones. If an incorrectly assembled connector, to name one cause, swaps two switches, they will both register and both do something points. But rules broken obviously.

I am currious. On Stern switch test, do unused switch inputs (on node boards) report activity if actuated? That would be both good and bad I suppose. Bad as it can fool people to believe that a switch going to an incorrect input is working.

2 Likes

Anyone else find the game surprisingly grindy with the current code when it comes to fighting monsters? Preferring objectives-based play, I usually play to do the battles. I think of this as the equivalent of doing paddocks in Jurassic Park. But unlike in JP, there seem to be many more obstacles to making progress, including how the battles are designed to time out and require restarting and that the mode start shot is so much more dangerous + difficult.

Shooting the two ramps and then the scoop feels conceptually like shooting MAP shots and then the left ramp, but progress is locked out in many more cases. You can’t start a battle if you have tank multiball qualified. You can’t start a battle before changing cities. If you haven’t changed cities, your ramp shots don’t make progress toward the next battle qualification. If you need to shoot ramps to qualify a monster but you have bridge multiball ready, you can’t make progress until you play that multiball. Same deal when rampage starts.

Even when I’m playing just to do monster battles I end up blocked by various other things and only make it through 3 or 4. I think a minor change that could be helpful is, without changing what is stackable, to have ramp shots when you are locked out of starting a new battle still count qualify toward the next battle so that once you are out of unstackable mode you can shoot the scoop to start the next fight.

1 Like

there seems to be some big value in tier 2 modes so making them a bit “grindy” to get to seems to make sense to me.

I’ve found it surprisingly easy to not cash out on the tier twos!

Not saying qualifying and battling monsters needs to be as accessible as qualifying and chasing dinos, but it would be nice if it were closer.

The monster fights feel like the only “story” elements of the game (things you can only progress through once whereas all of the other multiballs and modes are limitlessly repeatable). And yet, in the ways I mentioned above and others, progress toward them regularly gets stifled by everything else.

It has to be “Grindy” because there simply isn’t enough code in the game yet. Same reason there are only 2 extra balls available.

5 Likes

I see where you’re coming from but when I see where the code appears to be heading, I expect a lot more of that story-type stuff and overall integration will ultimately come together.

I know for me, it was the addition of Thanos Attacks and the re-inclusion of Battle Thanos that made me feel that Avengers had a cohesive “story” element to the gameplay.

1 Like

May be a bug, may be that I don’t know the rules.

Earning my Heat Ray and then having it not be available nor am I able to requalify it.

Ball one as soon as I qualify the first HR it gives the callout and the lockdown lights momentarily, but the goes out, HR insert is lit.

When Keith said there’s no reason to stay in a city yet a week ago, that was the clue that there’s a long way to go. I don’t mind playing early code. You get the basics down, see where future mini and wiz modes might be and sometimes you find huge exploits. Can get grindy, but certainly not unexpected. Metallica was a lot grindier without CIU modes.

The replay score isn’t displaying correctly. Reflexes up as it should after the first replay, but instant info still shows default floor score (~230M) on the next game even though actual replay score has increased. Seen on a couple revisions now on both a pro and premium.

If you used the Heat Ray and failed to activate it, Super Spinner will still be lit at the center spinner. I believe that’s what the flashing Heat Ray insert corresponds to.

The one thing I’d love to see is a Soul Shard / Soul Gem style jackpot you can collect at the end of each battle based on a percentage of scoring you got from the mode, considering they can be pretty big on this game. I suspect the Godzilla Powerups are going to add a lot to this game when they’re implemented.

Well 3 now that Karl timed out rampage on stream :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I didn’t use it. I qualified it, but then it wasn’t available to be used.

Nice. Rampage definitely has felt like more risk than reward and when it gets to the final two shots I usually just shoot loops and ramps.