SCS brackets/streams/updates

You don’t just have a match for the money. That money is paid out to the “3rd place finisher” or “4th place finisher” based on the results of that match.

Results should be listed as such.

2 Likes

Thanks. I wasn’t sure since the tie breaker was a different number of games than the normal matches. I wasn’t sure how the format change would effect the results submission (if at all).

Trent Augenstein and Tanner Wade.
Tennessee 2019-2020

Players were allowed to wait for a game if there were players on a game they wanted or immediately adjacent to a game being played.

This didn’t bother the players participating in the event; not sure why it would matter to those reading about it online. :slight_smile:

Maybe the players bothered by it last year decided not to come this year.

I don’t think that is the case.

With the exception of one typical Florida SCS player who chose another state to play in, everybody who was in the FL SCS last year and was eligible this year accepted the invitation.

This definitely slowed down the earlier rounds. Later rounds also featured some really long games on AC/DC, Spider-Man (vault), and Game of Thrones.

Nick put up 530M on AC/DC grinding out Jam supers. Eric picked Spider-Man every round I believe and was scoring 300M+ on it. I played it in my first round and it was easy to trap on the right from the Doc Ock return, just by holding the flipper up.

I was there. It made for an unnecessarily LONG day (and night). 25 machines available, but only had 2 matches/machines (4 players) playing at a time. Not a case of waiting for a machine. Every other SCS (I’ve been in 3 other states) have all 8 matches playing at the same time for the 1st round (1st 2 rounds in superstates).

Warmup was from 10-11am, tourney started at 11am. One player with a bye didn’t start his first match until 5pm!

A change is needed. Several participants (present party included) were not happy with this dragged-out format, but nobody complained directly to the TD because, well…

1 Like

Delaware participants are allowed to wait for a game as long as they want, including round 1. In fact, in our opening round I chose Demo Man, and group 3 also chose Demo Man. We had 19 machines available, played out ALL 16 positions, and finished at 4:59pm with an 11am start time.

Having players wait for a game because it’s adjacent to one being played doesn’t seem like a good idea. You should only be able to wait for a game if that game is occupied (or the usual waiting to play your next ball because a tech/TD is squeezed in between your game and an adjacent game, freeing a stuck ball or fixing an issue).

Whoa. Yeah, that’s extreme.

Wow! @bcd Was FL SCS held at the same location where IFPA17 is being held?

4 Likes

WA started at 11am and ended at 1am.

I blame TOTAN and WWF Royal rumble…

Completely agree. The only time I’m okay with this is if there is tech work happening on a neighboring game.

Just not wanting to play next to someone else seems like an unnecessary reason for slowing down the pace of an event. I’d definitely be annoyed if that was an accepted rule at a tournament I was playing in.

8 Likes

I’ll second this one . . .

I’m all for avoiding the Bathroom Stall because it hurts the integrity of the tournament, but adjacent machines are an inconvenience that players have to deal with.

4 Likes

I’m not the TD, just a messenger.

Look, I get it and pretty sure everybody else gets it. Waiting makes the day longer.

I’m just reporting what was allowed. It wasn’t a forced rule.

If players wanted to play adjacent to others they could. Nobody did. It was more out of respect of other groups.

They waited all year for their shot at the title and some were getting to experience the SCS for the first time.

Waiting a little longer wasn’t hurting anything. Nobody was denied the opportunity to play if they wanted to.

What is curious to me is that what was happening in Florida affected absolutely no other NACS result, and nobody was waiting for us in order to go onto the next step.

So, I really don’t understand the criticism other than that’s the way others might not run the event.

I played in Vegas and Sean Stewart (and his famous headlamp :slight_smile: took top Nevada honors there.
Truck Stop was in the game bank!

It sounds like it hurt one player’s experience, and I was just commenting that I would feel the same way if I was in that situation.

Did both players have to agree to delay a game they chose, or just the one choosing it? Did the players on the active game have to be consulted and approve a neighboring game being started next to them? Curious about the nitty gritty of this policy that wasn’t a “forced rule”. Leaving unwritten rules like this for the players to decide is always a bad idea, imo.

4 Likes

Alabama SCS lasted approx. 8.5 hours with a 1 hour food break. We had a 300M game on Star Trek and a 400M game on AC/DC. Only one group held us up on BKSOR because they had to wait to play an already long playing game. The beautiful thing was I didn’t have to make a single ruling! Just a few stuck balls.

1 Like

No, different location.

1 Like

The problem wasn’t waiting for a machine (in use or adjacent to one being used), nor in a few major scores. The problem was that no more than 2 machines out of 25 (in a very open area) were being used at once. Several participants were not happy about the matches being dragged out like this (many waited hours between matches in the first 2 rounds, unnecessarily). I suspect even more participants I didn’t talk to directly were not pleased.

Many people drove hours to participate, and planned to drive home at a reasonable hour following an 11am start.

2 Likes

That’s hard for me to even picture because it sounds so ridiculous.

2 Likes