Sad news from ReplayFX

I agree,

one minute we are dancing for Pinburgh 21 and Papa is back with papa 21, next minute we are laying wreaths - hugely surprised by this.

5 Likes

This is obviously devastating news and the decision made would not have been made without great care and consideration by the Replay Foundation team. Personally, the news was a gut-punch, as PAPA and ReplayFX became a yearly pilgrimage to Pittsburgh and had become the events I looked the most forward to each year. Most everyone here who has been I’m sure has similar stories. As others have said, this announcement caught me completely by surprise.

Is this a savable situation?
What can the community do to help?

I know that the Replay Foundation has made their decision and that these questions may go unanswered, but where was Replay feeling the most pain?

• Is it a liquidity problem of not having enough cash on-hand due to not being able to run public events?
  • Why now? Are there upcoming debts due and the best way to pay those off is to liquidate?
  • What is Replay prioritizing in terms of liquidation? Selling off the video games to save the pinball machines? Selling off high-value rare machines to get the most money quickly? Everything must go?
  • Does Replay have their own internal targets for the amount of capital that needs to be raised to get to a “steady-state”?
  • Did Replay have a dire outlook on 2021 where they thought Replay wouldn’t be a possibility?
  • If there are no public events, but the foundation is choosing to stay active, what are the costs of the organization going to look like in 2021 and beyond?
  • Couldn’t Replay just sell all of their High Hands and have enough cash on hand to weather the storm?

I typed up the above and now I’ve gone back and re-read the FAQ. They seem to state that they don’t think that fundraising is the answer and that liquidation is their chosen path.

What would it take to get the Replay Foundation to change their mind? Cash? Time and Energy? Pro-bono services?

Most of us here have at least a passing, if not a vested interest in seeing events like ReplayFX and PAPA continue. I know in the FAQ they mention giving money to other causes but I have to admit that having a future PAPA and Pinburgh on my calendar was very much helping me mentally think about the “light the end of the tunnel” and I’d gladly give some dollars and/or time to see these pinball cornerstones continue.

8 Likes

did they have to pay an big fee / fine to not have the 2020 events?

While not as poignant, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it is only a question of when, not if these times return…

10 Likes

I think that was @pinwizj top choice for a solution!

Behold, we know not anything;
I can but trust that good shall fall
At last – far off – at last, to all,
And every winter change to spring.

So runs my dream: but what am I?
An infant crying in the night:
An infant crying for the light:
And with no language but a cry.

from “In Memoriam” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

1 Like

Be warned if any High Hand’s show up in my driveway they will be lit on fire and left for dead :smiley:

3 Likes

Life… finds a way.

Everyone’s hurting. Obv there are no shows, no meeting of friends. If you own a location or are an operator, you’re not thriving you’re trying to survive. Running restaurants has never been easy, this is just one more thing in a long line of challenges we face as operators.

All I can say is, support where you can. If you’re lucky enough to have a location to play at, patronize them. They need you right now. However, everyday we’re open is one day closer to being past all of this.

As far as tournaments go, it’s probably going to be quite a while before we see something like the most recent Pinburgh (circa Convention Center). The inventory of games and the logistics of the setup, operation, tear down is dizzying. Hats off to the incredible people in Pittsburgh (many I’ve know for 20+ years) who made these 2 events happen. I believe you have one of the very best scenes in the country, with some of the strictest limitations on having public facilities.

Yeah it sucks, but I have TONS of great memories from the PAPA facility and downtown that fills my love tank with happiness. I can’t wait to see y’all again soon. You’re welcome to come visit Columbia, SC. “We’ll keep the light on” :wink: FR

7 Likes

My first look at the socials since the announcement (mostly for mental self preservation…). Much of this thread is just making tear up again and again but this made me LOL. Tip of the hat, @coreyhulse.

1 Like

Who is in for this GoFundMe to buy Replay’s High Hand and ship it to @pinwizj so he can stream the sacrificial burning?

6 Likes

no let TNT destroy it they Have an place to drop it an long way.

someone must have had that idea, it’s not on the list anymore! :slight_smile:

Where is this list?

Edit: Found it here: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=C182838E6193FD56!30975&ithint=file%2Cxlsx&authkey=!ADdTVGe7AGwGy6Q

1 Like

Wow, from what I see on that list compared to when it first came out, they’ve already sold 91 pins!

I’d settle for an effigy, tbh.

El Toro hasn’t sold yet? What gives? #bestgameever

@PAPA_Doug - Any chance of a Black Friday Exclusive Deal on El Toro?

1 Like

I gave El Toro a lot of thought… but decided on an even “better” game from PAPA: Ready, Aim, Fire! ftw. ymmv.

4 Likes

Has anyone done a sound rework on RAF?

1 Like

When I told my SO that I was looking at a spreadsheet of game prices, the first thing they asked me is “How much for Ready, Aim, Fire?” We both like it but the SO had a great game on it during tournament play and developed a real appreciation for it from that.

Unfortunately no. :slight_smile: