Pre ruling request / discussion on Foo Fighters Post outlane ball saver

As Soren mentioned, Stern will probably code in a virtual kickback option anyway in case the post is having issues. For competitive plan, set to virtual kickback. Done.

Still that does not cover the what is allowed (IFPA RULES) if it not turned off or what happens if say an other game has an fixed post in the same area.

But DQ for useing an game feature just sets an bad precedent as the IFPA rules donā€™t really cover cases that are borderline / are in new games.

I once saw an TD make an bad ruling on jjp pirates of the Caribbean pinball with character that Once a Ball, Add a Ball Into Play When a Ball is on the Pearl. (TD did not know that part of the game rules) and I had to tell them after. Loss of an MB is small but an DQ in error is BIG.

But in this case itā€™s easy to see but the wording of IFPA rules make it odd with the without deliberate player action part But itā€™s not an lazarus itā€™s more of an center post or in theroy an outline post. But it being in the Death Saves / Bangback zone makes it hard to call.

An other thing in newer games is the MODE ends game / or ball that is not covered at all and does have some cases in where dealing with stuck balls multiball as if you read the rules they say trap up and wait. So by the time an TD / tech getā€™s to it and the mode is over with no complete control
(ball stopped on a flipper) then you need to take the major malfunction / catastrophic malfunction path.

Just saying the IFPA RULES need to be updated to maybe cover more stuff but also cut down on needed knowledge of game rules (dirty pool / multiball modes / etc)

Bangbacks involve transferring energy from the cabinet to the ball through the apron as that transfer device.

The use of center posts or other posts below the flippers (including this one) are fine to use as a form of transferring energy to the ball.

6 Likes

Never change, Joe.

1 Like

so does that definition need to be in the written rules?

No. Weā€™re not interested in writing rules describing what isnā€™t a bangback.

9 Likes

No idea what talmudic means, but previous snark aside, I appreciate discussions like this one. I rarely participate in them, but Iā€™m glad we have so many smart folks in the sport who do. Thanks to all of you respectfully arguing your side. Our sport is not easy to officiate and it never will be. Itā€™s a bonus when some humor gets injected into the thread.

afair I got ā€œdā€™qedā€ at IFPA12 in the quartefinals against MCR trying to save a ball on Xenon with the post below the flippers?

1 Like

You werenā€™t working for IFPA then :slight_smile:

1 Like

i thought thatā€™s what the internetā€™s for but youā€™ve reminded me that the internet is for pedantry.

iā€™d refer you to definition 2 here: Talmudic Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com

I have always read the intent of the rule as to prevent damage to the machine and/or injury to the player as well as a fairness issue. In addition I believe it is poor precedent to say using a game feature the way it was intended is potentially a DQ.

I donā€™t know what the big concern is here. This is nothing more than a fancy mechanism for an outlane ball save. We allow kickbacks. We allow the ball to return on a game like Silverball Mania, where a kickback shoots it back up between the flippers. We allow the magnet on Alice Cooper to throw ball back into play. This just follows. This is not a bangback or death-save, it is a ball save. Even if you nudge a bit, so what? Allow it, unless it becomes a problem, THEN worry about creating a special rule. And if you are a TD and donā€™t want to be worried about it, disable it. Iā€™m sure just like kickbacks on most machines, it can be disabled. Some of you are just thinking too hard about this!

7 Likes

If anyone ever makes a Top 10 Times Tournament Players Tried To Remove Fun From Pinball I nominate this thread to be included. :joy:

With regards to it being skilled based or not, I saw several times on the stream when players missed it because they didnā€™t remember they had it lit. Unlike an automatic kickback it does require player interaction. It doesnā€™t seem like thereā€™s any reason to nudge, making this topic even more silly, but you do have to be on the ball, so to speak.

2 Likes

There isnā€™t one. Itā€™s one person that frequently makes similar queries followed by multiple ā€˜but what about XXX?ā€™

6 Likes

Iā€™ve wanted player controlled kickbacks to come back, this is definitely similar. I love it.

1 Like

As a counterargument, I find players who show up to tournaments and look for every nuance to circumvent rules far less fun than pedantic discussions over game features and IFPA rules nuance. And sadly yes, Iā€™ve dealt with and will continue to deal with players like this.

2 Likes