Pre ruling request / discussion on Foo Fighters Post outlane ball saver

It’s too bad the Pro doesn’t have it, the way you folks put lightning flippers on your Sterns you might not even need to hold the left flipper up to successfully utilize the ball save post.

1 Like

there are some games with posts in the drain not the same place but going based on more basic rules on death saves / bangbacks. Also games with center post are you legal to nudge?

Bumping an ball from the right drain up to the left drain with an kickback?

having stuff like this in games

At least one TD ruled if an player nudged the machine at all on an lazar ball that it was an death save so in this case the Rule of Duck cuts both ways.
It looks like an death save and it looks like an outlane post that players need to skill save on.

So none with this exact feature?(besides JP home that has the same feature and post) That would make those other games irrelevant to the case here. We are speaking simply of Foo Fighters.

Yes, nudges on center posts are legal.

Not the point of the thread but I don’t believe JP The Pin has this bang back post.

An other close one is WOF that in case of If a playfield feature exists to physically return a ball into play.
that not only can you nudge to try to get it. You can also Get MB from it and be able to play the MB. Even with an save + Lazarus

What about games with posts in the drain that are lower down but can be saved on with luck / skill?

Like lots of gottlieb games?

But can you bump an outline drain into an post?

I’m not sure I understand. Into which post? The center one?

Yes or any other post.
But Foo Fighters is right on the line of being an death save / bangback.
WOZ is the same somewhat but an little different bumper + post
WOF has the “software kickback switches” down there.
alien has the outlane posts that are to be bumped to get the ball to go down the right lane to get the “software kickback switch”

That the over all rule needs to be redone to cover it + other games with posts and other stuff in the drain.

As it can odd an confusing to players and TD’s on what is OK or not when you read the rules as is.

And what about other games that may have new stuff like that idea of an spinner in an outlane Will you be able to nudge to get more spins?

I’d say foo fighters is legal and nudging while it’s in the WOZ left outlane is legal. Or right for that matter even with Toto.

I need an adult for this one since I would say it’s legal. I see those nudging of outlanes as legal and not a deathsave/Bangback. But I cannot confirm that.

with flipper up as well needs to be legal

Agree. Watching the video a couple times, I’m a little disappointed in how it appears to be implemented. First glance, I thought maybe action button fired it. Then I saw the post stops it first. Zero control or timing. Just raise the left flipper and play on. It’s an outlane ball saver that pops the ball up between the flippers instead of up the outlane. Not hating on it, neat toy, now anyone can ‘death save’. Just was hoping some skill was involved.

Would be stupid easy to disable for competition if needed. Either by setting or cutting a wire on the up post coil. If the post wasn’t there, left outlane closed with feature lit could fire left flipper for x seconds, so player could use either hand to press action button to fire kicker. Action button press would fire kicker and release left flipper. Can we get that?

That feels like a lot more work for something that looks to me like an “improved” kick back. I’d still say some skill is involved because a lot of people will forget or not move the flipper in time.

2 Likes

This mech is designed for the stop, so I don’t suspect anything like that would be possible on this game. Just dreaming. I suspect the possible huge embarrassment from not raising the flipper in time (it will look ugly) will make sure no one competing on a stream will ever get caught missing it. Will be interesting to see if there’s a feature audit that gives success/ fail rate.

But looks like an death save and that is right on the line with the IFPA rules and to rule to can’t bump the game at all to make your success/ fail better just feels so wrong.

I think Foo Fighters should be banned from all tournaments.

7 Likes

Tanio should add some late-game points gambling, or stealing of other player’s points, rendering it useless for competition and pissing people off even more.

What’s Stern’s next game? I’m already tired of this game.

This move is legal for events that are in any timezone GMT-6 or later.

9 Likes

and we are not to feed you after midnight in any timezone at all.

1 Like

I feel like the fact that the IFPA/PAPA ruleset is not a required ruleset for any tournament gets lost in these discussions.

If Foo Fighters Premium or LE is being used in a tournament you’re playing in, clarify with the TD before the tournament starts.

Sometimes the talmudic debate gets a little too tedious.

5 Likes